Peter Crouch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ShinSoccer, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    He's not that tall :)

2. phishnchipz

phishnchipz Member

Jul 22, 2004
    How much more money does liverpool have to spend on transfers?

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeh, but he's not allowed to chase people and hit them with big hooked sticks.

I was in my local watering hole when they played that match today and yes he did make a useful target man. Wire him up and aim at the flashing red light. It's really to warn off low flying aircraft.

Also saw the Leeds/Liverpool Charity Shield match from 1992. Now that was interesting.

4. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I think 14M. He's already spent 6M net. He could be holding back until after we have qualified for the CL group stage.

5. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Is it too soon to start a predictions thread for 05-06? I'm super excited about our signings and can't wait!!

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's too soon. Sorry. ;)

7. timberley11

timberley11 New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I would rather see use keep chasing Dirk Kuyt

8. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW8541050712-0920.htm
    Well,i cant belive rafa is going to actualy pay £7million for crouch,i mean i realy feel he wont help us on the long run!I mean come on,he was surplus to requierment in portsmouth or were ever he was before southampton,and he only started playing at southampton since January when beattie left the club.I mean,its only been 6 months!A.johnson had a fantastic YEAR,so why not go after him?

Im still hoping rafa realizes that crouch would be a waist of money and go after a proven goal scorer like kuyt!

And it seems we do need to find a striker fast!Bye Baros
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW8546050712-1244.htm

9. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I wonder what you guys are going to say after Peter Crouch wins the golden boot next season. :D

10. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't doubt rafa ... crouch will be worth it

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I doubt any of us will notice, there'll be some many pigs flying around his head ...

12. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if a flying pig could ever achieve that high an altitude.

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't think there is a similar player in the world of football. And I can't imagine a player like Crouch playing in Spain. In England he could prove to be useful against teams that like to play with 10 men behind the ball against us. The price tag is way over the top though.

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A problem I have with signing Crouch is that he would only be an alternative to Morientes, as I can't see the two of them playing together. A Crouch and Morientes partnership would be completly lacking pace and I can't see it working. Crouch would have to be paired with Cisse or Baros.

Since I expect Rafa to be choosing Morientes just about everytime he's available, I don't see where Crouch fits in. The price tag is very high for a player that probably won't be playing in that many games.

Maybe Rafa will use him in a specific type of game, such as away from home against a team that will play 10 behind the ball. While Morientes will be chosen in European games, home games in the league, etc.

15. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    I think Cisse and baros/kuyt wear em right out for 70 mins then Crouchy and/or Moro come on to sit on alonso crosses and gerrard corners. Those 2 plus sami in the box would be a pretty good air game if you need a goal bad.

who knows though. 4 strikers is 2 many really actually.

16. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    John Carew?

He played under Benitez at Valencia from 2000 to 2003.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BING BING BING -- GIVE THAT MAN A PRIZE

18. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005

I see crouch riding the bench more this season and rumor has it benitez wants moro to take crouch under his wing. I think crouch with baros or cisse will do and moro getting his playing time.

19. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    What's the source of the rumor? Is there an article you can direct us to? I could see Crouch making some serious improvement under Moro's tutelage.

20. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you learn nothing from last season? Or have you recently hit your head on a blunt object and developed a case of football amnesia?

4 strikers is barely sufficient, particularly when I'd be willing to put a fair chunk of change on the proposition that one or more of our strikers will miss several months of the season due to injury . . .

21. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    Just not expecting lightning to strike twice in the same place.i agree tactically its fine probably good to have 4 deep, but if the guys dont get playing time and start whining it can be a problem in a hurry.

maybe your right though better safe than sorry. i can see baros crying about it though.

22. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i think it may come down to how the Reds are doing in the league. at this point it's hard to know how competitive they will be against Chelsea and Arsenal, but assuming the best, i would imagine that we should know after half a dozen games.

by then Liverpool will have played Spurs, Arsenal, Boro, ManU, Charlton and Sunderland. if the Reds get good results and are near the top of the table, then you can figure that Benitez will push to keep at that level in league play. on the other hand, if Liverpool starts poorly, then it might be that the goal will be to maintain form in the other competitions, like the Champions League or the FA Cup. certainly the Reds have the players to be a factor in any extended competition, but it is very difficult to make up points in league play. we saw that at the end of the year, failing to end in the top 4.

23. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  24. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We probably could have got a better player, but we couldn't get another Peter Crouch. He is quite a unique footballer. Rafa has a plan for him and must think its worth the money. I'm keeping an open mind and hoping that it turns out to be a good signing.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly my sentiments. I can only say I am intrigued by the presistance with which Rafa has pursued Crouch. And Sven-Göran Eriksson has also seen something in this lad.