Peter Crouch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ShinSoccer, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ShinSoccer

ShinSoccer New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Maryland
    hes been rumored to joins us... i think he would be a quality signing, what you think?

2. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should check out this .

3. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    He's got quick feet and is an big threat in the air. I know Matt Clark would love this signing. :D

4. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Crouch has potential but from what I read they are asking for 8 mill. Sorry but he is not worth 8 mill, maybe 5 mill. Liverpool should save some of that money and buy Milito first. He is young, highly rated, central defender with great potential.

5. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I think Suss said it before but I can't understand why Rafa is not going after JULIO BAPTISTA. Mind you, I can't believe that Arsenal are having a free and clear shot at him with NOBODY entering the bidding war. This guy is going to tear up premiership defenses when he arrives.

6. Los_Merengues

Los_Merengues Red Card

Jul 6, 2005
    that is an excellent point.
    he is known as "The Beast" in spain

7. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I'm the Rodney Dangerfield on these boards.....no respect.....no respect!! :(

8. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    8 million????? Give me a ********ing break.

9. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    don't bet the farm.

first of all, he's Brasileiro, and the record of South American players in EPL is average, at best.

second of all, he's not that big, about Ronaldinho's size, actually.

in the Confederations Cup he played as a sub in two matches, a total of 33 minutes.

he started out a a midfielder, and Arsenal might think to play him there.

Liverpool has a glut of midfielders.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Oh, in that case, we should break the bank for him. This changes everything.

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    According to you we should just forget about signing any players from South America because Veron failed in the Premiership :rolleyes:

Baptista's game is suited perfectly for the Premiership. He has loads of pace and skill and is very strong. He used to be a midfielder until Sevilla discovered what a great goalscorer he was. He has scored 50 goals over the last 2 seasons. I think he would have been a great fit, but it looks like he is off to Arsenal where he will excel.

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Crouch could probably serve a specific role in the team, but I think the asking price is about twice as much as he is worth. Maybe Rafa sees him as the key to breaking down stubborn defenses away from home :confused:

13. NC RED

NC RED Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Charlotte NC USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Crouch is not worth that fee.

In addition we have a host of strikers. Are we gonna play a 1-2-8 format

Reina

Carragher

Pongolle Baros Cisse Kewell Garcia Morientes Figo Crouch

Bench
    Le Tallec
    Mellor

I know we had some horrific injuries in our striker dept but this is going overboard.

14. Los_Merengues

Los_Merengues Red Card

Jul 6, 2005
    apparently you are not familiar,
    this little paragraph might help:
    "Baptista moved from Sao Paulo to Sevilla in the summer of 2003 for 2.75m euros. He played as a midfielder in Brazil but has stepped up into a striking role since his move to Spain. Baptista scored 20 goals for Sevilla in his first season in Spain (2003/2004), helping Sevilla to qualify for the UEFA Cup, and earned himself the nickname 'La Bestia' (The Beast) due to his uncompromising style of play. "

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/c/player/181415_JULIO_BAPTISTA.html

15. twh3

twh3 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Kewell, Figo (unsigned) and Garcia aren't strikers. We have 3 true options, since Sinama and Mellor are badly injured... Baros, Cisse and Morientes. After last year's injuries and with the slew of games in the CL and Cups, we know that 3 is not enough. If we don't unveil Crouch tommorrow, maybe we're working on an Owen loan?
    With Robinho possibly going to Madird, perhaps he becomes available... ???
    The longer it takes to sign Crouch, the more I believe someone else may be in the works...

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think you missed the joke. Your post suggested that the nickname "the beast" is justification for spending 10 million. Obviously, he's a very promising player, but a nickname only tells you so much.

17. SiriuslyCold

SiriuslyCold Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    we could spend £10m on the Smiling Serial Killer *smirk*

TBH i had high hopes for the kid...

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    "very cautious we should be" ( Yoda? ) about Sud Americanos. and it isnt only Veron, it's Crespo, who will be the X factor in Chelsea's plans, and Juan Pablo Angel, who isn't Argentine or Brasilian, but has been, IMO, a major disappointment of late, partly because of injury, truth be told. but at 9.5 million pounds, he needs to be more than a 1 goal in 4 games performer.

compare Angel to Heskey, for ex. in 200 more minutes, Heskey scored 2 more goals last year, on a club that did about as well. Gareth Barry scored only one less goal than Angel.

the game in Spain is mainly...oooops...the Spanish league does not have the kind of physical play that the English game does, in my narrow view, and while there are excellent defenders in Spain, it really is more a finesse game with no where near the overall quality of goaltending as in the EPL, top to bottom.

i would ask you to name 4 better La Liga goalies than Dean Keily or Mark Schwartzer, who are not in the top 4 in the EPL, by most accounts, those being Cech, Friedel, and two among Lehmann or Sorensen or Martyn.

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are plenty of good goalkeepers in Spain (Casillas, Valdes, Reina, Canizares, Kameni, Doblas, etc), and I don't think its true that the EPL has better goaltenders. And this has nothing to do with whether or not South Americans can be sucessful in the EPL. I could go on with the debate, but this thread is about Peter Crouch...

20. twh3

twh3 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    ...or Robinson or Given.... and here's hoping Reina is one of them!

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    the point had been made about the number of goals scored by Baptista...

it's easier to score goals in La Liga. 47 more last year than in the EPL in the same number of games.

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Peter Crouch??

Do we need a new corner flag that much?

23. Los_Merengues

Los_Merengues Red Card

Jul 6, 2005
    no, it didn't :)
    but... i see your point.

24. Dundalis

Dundalis New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Actually Baptista is probably worth much more than 10 million pounds. I would value him closer to 20 to be honest.

People that haven't seen him play will probably be suspicious, but those that have seen him tear Real Madrid to shreds know that he is a star already, this is not potential we are talking about. His best position is as a second striker close enough to score goals, but back enough to run at players. To give an accurate description of how he plays, think about Steven Gerrard buldozing his way forward with pace and strength when he goes on one of his marouding runs. Add technique to that mix and that is Baptista but in a strikers role. Someone said that he is as big as Ronaldinho. Since when does height have anything to do with ones strength? The man is built like a wall. The term beast doesn't come from nowhere. Wayne Rooney is probably a closer representation of what he brings, without the vision and passing ability, but with better technique and skill.

25. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to get back on topic, I think Crouch is a good prospect for addition to our squad. We have Moro (a classy striker with touch and heading capabilities) and three pacy types in Baros, Cisse and FSP. Crouch is an awkward, large man who is almost as good with his feet as with his head. Imagine the problems a team intent on bunkering would face with a Crouch/Cisse front line. Do we lay back and invite LFC to ping ball off Crouch for Cisse/Garcia/or Gerrard to clean up or Crouch to bury; or do we push out and deal with Cisse running in alone against our keeper after breaking the trap. It would be a dilemna no doubt. I think that is what Rafa sees in Crouch.