Peter Crouch...world class?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by SWPgotrobbed, Sep 2, 2006.

1. SWPgotrobbed

SWPgotrobbed New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Where does Crouchy rank amongst the world's best strikers? I'll admit, I was one of many poking fun at Liverpool after they signed Crouch for 7 million which at the time seemed laughable. Obviously now Crouch has more than proven his worth. So, is Crouchy top 10? 20? ...30?

2. broomtree

broomtree New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Crouch isn't top 10. I would say he's around top20~top30.

3. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crouch's record for England would put him in the top 10.

He has scored 10 goals in 13 appearances = .77 gpg.

By comparison Henry has scored 36 goals in 86; Ronaldo 62 in 97; Sheva 31 in 69; RNV 28 in 54; Raúl 44 in 100.

Now, it's easy to get vaporous over Mr. Roboto's current numbers, but ya gotta admit, it's impressive, to say the least.

Unless you start thinking about who he's played against -- Andorra, Greece...

4. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    how did Crouch become a pro?

5. NCunited

NCunited New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    The States
    I would say he is top 20.

6. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    He's not world class. But he's very good. People should get off his case, he does everything that's asked of him.

At Liverpool he scored against Man Utd, at Southampton he scored against Arsenal. He doesn't score a ton, but he's there when he's needed.

7. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    I don't like him as a player much but he gets the job done and scores a lot of goals so I'm starting to think he is world-class. I think he still needs to do it against World-class opposition against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Italy etc. but we haven't been grouped with any of them teams in the Euro 08 qualifiers (although Croatia are pretty good) so we won't know for awhile.

8. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Crouch is having a good run for England and scoring plenty of goals, albiet mostly against very weak opposition, and deserves his England place at the moment.

But to suggest he is now suddenly world class is ridiculous.

9. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London
    The best way to judge him would be to ask if any of the top 10 country's would swap one of their strikers for him? some would, most wouldn't!

10. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    He can only be judged by his record. He is a striker, not a creator, the only thing he thinks about is getting the ball in the net. Yes, i am one of the many johnny come lately fans of crouch, but he has most certainly shut most of his doubters up.

(though, i would say in my own defence, i heard of this 6ft7 striker when he was playing for Portsmouth, and then saw him in the u21s. I thought he would be a very good target man then, though when he went to Villa and then after he went to Liverpool i thought he would never make it as a pro.)

IMO you don't compare crouch to the ronaldos and shevas, you compare him with the drogbas, jan kollers and luca tonis, and his record internationally is better than all these type of big centre forawrds, so long may it contiue. i would put him in the top 10 on form, but top 20 in terms of quality.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Indeed.

Once he has a run of 6 or 7 games without a goal, he won't be starting anymore - unlike the truly world class strikers.

Still, as long as he's on his streak :)p) he simply must play.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Practically every single one of his goals has come against poor opposition.

13. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    Welome to the England experience.

14. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good player, underrated, but not World Class.

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Spot on, old man.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    No, welcome to the Crouch experience. Hat tricks against Carribean minnows after having 8 chances isn't enough to make him world class.
    Decent option for England, happens to be in decent form at the moment, is sorely lacking against top quality opposition.

17. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    in my opinion crouch has not played enough games for his goal/game ratio to actually mean anything. especially because 5 of his goals came in 2 games against diabolical opposition.

i really really doubt that when (and if) he gets to say 30-40 caps he will have maintained this scoring rate.

18. rolfefan1717

rolfefan1717 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Dayton Ohio
    the guy is very limited in what he can on the pitch. even his main strength, being a target man, is limited by physical, athletic defenders due to his unbelievable frail frame. yet, if england continue to play a system which properly uses their width with players such as downing, lennon, cole, and gerrard crouch will continue to be englands first choice striker. i personally dont believe he has the touch, skill, or passing abilities to be world class. i would love to be proven wrong though.

19. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post:D

Crouch does what's asked of him, and does it adequately, which is more than can be said about a number of England players. If I had unlimited funds I'd buy Shevchenko but for a national side one has to go with what's available. Rooney, Dafoe, Johnson are good to great forwards but are all better off the lead position and running at or behind defenders. Crouch will win balls hoofed out of the back, hold the ball up, and bring another forward into the play. He is a better than average passer in close quarters and he will score goals. As has been noted, for his size he's not the best header of the ball, but he can score that way with good service (ask John Terry about his last trip to Cardiff). So as a non-Englishman, I'd say he's the best you currently have for his assignment so why slag him off?

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    No you didn't. And I'm not English.
    And in big games, Crouch has routinely failed, both for England and for Liverpool. His biggest goal to date has been what - the goal against Jamaica? The goal against Chelsea in a glorified friendly?
    Decent player, on a good run of form, nothing more.

21. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    come on nicephoras, be nice! You make Crouch sound like a cross between Givarch and Akinbye, he is not that bad!

22. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal against ManU in FA Cup

23. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    a cross between guivarc'h and akinbye would probably look as weird as crouch, but it wouldn't be as tall.

24. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Crouch has scored against the teams England have played it is not his fault they have been mostly weak teams. You have to remember he is still inexperienced at this level - he won his first cap last summer. He has played a lot in this past year and scored consistently. His first England goal was only in March so he is scoring at an extremely high rate currently.

He has scored in big games for Liverpool - Everton and Man Utd. And important games for England -T&T. So he has had a good year.

I think he has certainly proved he is good enough to play for England but has not played enough at this level to compare him with established world class strikers. If he keeps his scoring rate up (or at least maintains a very good rate) in the next year or two then he will have enhanced his reputation such that he can be regarded as World class.

He also needs to score against bigger games than Uruguay - Russia and Croatia are the the biggest scalps in our group, let's see how he performs against them. Also Holland s coming up in a friendly - another big name.

Apart from Owen and Rooney, England do not have any strikers currently who have proved they are world class international players. Yet. Crouch is the next in line but has not earned this tag yet.

It is interesting to note that McClaren has revealed the stat that Crouch covered the most ground out of all the players in his team. Crouch apparently covers up to 13km in a game whereas the average is 12.5 km for a midfielder. This just reflects how hardworking Crouch is and that he is a team player and does not just stand around goal-hanging! Of course one stride of his is about 3 times as much ground as Ashley Cole's strides.

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That wasn't the intention - he's not a bad player. But he went 24 hours in match time without scoring last year, and if all we can find is one goal against ManUtd in the FA Cup, he's a long way from world class.
    I'm not suggesting England shouldn't call him up or that he should never play. But Marcus Allback has a great scoring record for Sweden, and he's not exactly world class. Crouch is helped that England don't have more than 1 world class forward right now, and on good form, he's the default.