PETA: Fish are smart

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    PETA Campaign Pitches Fish As Smart

NEW YORK - Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives, animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish — contrary to stereotype — are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

"No one would ever put a hook through a dog's or cat's mouth," said Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach. "Once people start to understand that fish, although they come in different packaging, are just as intelligent, they'll stop eating them."

The campaign is in its infancy and will face broad skepticism. Major groups such as the American Heart Association (news - web sites) recommend fish as part of a healthy diet; some academics say it is wrong to portray the intelligence and pain sensitivity of fish as comparable to mammals.

"Fish are very complex organisms that do all sorts of fascinating things," said University of Wyoming neuroscientist James Rose. "But to suggest they know they what's happening to them and worry about it, that's just not the case."

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oops, this has nothing to do with Election 2004. Mod, please move to Current Events, thanks!

3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that a certain someone on the ballot was doing a whole lot of flopping around, I'm sure you got confused, no worries.

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    PETA can get bent.

5. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Dear PETA,

I will stop eating fish the same day you stop euthenizing stray dogs and quit being huge hypocrites.

Oh wait. No I won't. Who am I kidding?

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Of course fish are smart.

Why else do they tell people to eat fish before taking a test.

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    The smart fish is the one that didn't fall for it, hook, line and sinker.

Hhhheeeeyyyyy Lllaaaaddddyyyyy!

8. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I like mine with a squeeze of lemon juice, fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt.

I suppose this is the same people that don't wear leather and prefer to wear clothing made from synthetic materials. :rolleyes:

9. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    OK, I'll agree to stop eating fish, if PETA can convince sharks to stop eating us!

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Regardless of what a person thinks of PETA, the healthiness of fish has taken a large hit in recent years because of the levels of mercury and other toxins in a lot of seafood.

11. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

This whole don't kill fish thing may start out sounding silly, but let's see where it goes.

Remember, nobody had much respect for PETA until it got hot girls involved in the "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" campaign. That was a good thing.

Perhaps we'll soon see some hot models in a topless mermaid campaign.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can only hope.

13. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Wouldn't that make people want to "eat" fish even more? :cool:

14. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, just mermaids.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've considered cutting meat out of my diet from time to time, but there's no way in hell I'd quit eating fish. Particularly sushi.

Now I'm hungry.

16. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I stopped reading right there.

17. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    The fish I try to catch certainly are smart. They only rise to the current hatch. Why don't they just munch out on worms like they did when I was a kid. That was easy to figure out. Now they have been to school or something....:)

18. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When are the People for the Ethical Traetment of Plants going to go ape$hit on these cold heartless herbivores. Collard Greens are some of the smartest plants out there. I mean, No one would ever dig a dog or cat out of the ground in their prime. Disgusting!

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dogs are smarter than fish. If you give a dog a metal thing that looks like a piece of meat but has sharp hooks, I bet the dog won't try to eat it.

20. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can have my toro when they pry it out of my cold, dead...errr...chopsticks.