perugia signing a woman

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jegerpenge, Oct 29, 2003.

1. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    they are planning on signing one of the swedish women and play them in serie A. i'm thinking marketing genius, not a very good decision tactically. what does everybody else think about this? i mean, to me, and i'm not being sexist or anything here, women could make it in the lower leagues, but not one as physically demanding as serie A. i mean, hanna ljungberg is one of the players being talked about. i saw her play in the finals of the world cup. she has a lot of speed compared to the other players, but do you really think she could be able to hold up with the pace and hard tackles of world class male defenders? it's fact that women are not physically as fast or as strong as men. in my opinion, this is going to be a passing thing with whoever is signed returning to sweden and back to whatever she was doing before all of this. here is the link:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=281783&cc=5901

2. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    I'm not going to argue the merits of whether or not women are able to compete with men. I'd just argue that it shouldnt be allowed and that genders should be kept seperate when playing professional sports. It detracts from the spectacle in my opinion as players are at different physical levels and brings other issues and complaints into the sport.

Women's football needs to grow the standard of it will definitely diminish if its best players are competing in the mens game.

3. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    Had problems with the link so can only go by the previous posts..

I would have thought there are laws against this type of thing, not only arent they upto it physically, but what about shower/changing facilities? Also you CANT have this in the mens game anyway cos, especially in todays society, youd get sexual assualts lodged every game. Itd open up a big can of worms.

Does the link aim more at a womens team theyve got and are getting an overseas player or somehting?

Im sure if the Arsenal Ladies had striker problems and a massive cup game, they cant just put in TH14 to bail them out, after all he is registered to Arsenal FC.

4. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    no, this is them signing a woman for their first team to play in the serie A. i'm sure once something controversial happens, or evenbefore then, fifa will put forth a law banning it

5. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    Apparently the owner of Perugia is known for creating a bit of spectacle. I believe he was the first to sign an Asian player to the Serie A (and then fire him after his Korean team beat Italy at WC02!), now wants to be the first to sign a woman.

It's not a decision that has anything to do with football, and only with marketing.

6. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    just what i said