Peru vs Colombia Copa America 2021 Third Place Match: (July 9ty)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Jul 7, 2021.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuadrado had a great career in Italy and plays/Stars for Juve…. I hate him on the National team but career wise he is top 5 with Falcao, Ivan Cordoba, Luis Perea and James.

Azucarero repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You and others may hate him starting on the National team but there is really no logical replacement for him due to current circumstances.

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    james for Cuadrado. It’s where Aguedelo plays in Italy :) just saying. Hopefully that role is Sinnisterias in the future.

Uribe or someone who can pass forward for Cuellar. That is Ruedas job he making 2 million to find that guy

Fabra or Fuentes for Tesillo. Maybe try Munoz, Arias or Cuadrado there to see if they can.

Azucarero repped this.
  5. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuadrado has been a legend for the NT as well

he is just frustrating because of his dumb holding the ball too long shenanigans

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No.
    You are not taking into account leadership and locker room issues and Cuadrado is our Captain after Ospina.
    James is dead to me. (But when he is is resuscitated he will probably play the Cardona role from last night.)

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for Agudelo we do not even know if he is on Rueda's radar or will even play this cycle.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for "Dr. Sinister" I do not see him playing the current role of Cuadrado. More of a Muriel type within current tactics.

9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    There's SEVERAL possible replacements for Cuadrado. You're acting as if we didn't play the ENTIRE Quieroz cycle with him as an 8. Thus, he can be replaced on the wing. The most logical choice would be James, but there are several young wingers playing competitively in tough leagues who NEVER get any chance at all. You know who they are. You follow this forum.

This conservativism has to stop. Look at how long it took for Munoz to finally get minutes after he had been first called up a couple years ago. Medina is simply a guy who can do the job, but never has and never will be anything special. Munoz proved he is the next best option to Arias in this tournament, but many of us predicted he would be ever since he was at Nacional. (Actually, I think CRZD is the first person to bring him up on these boards when he was at Rionegro...)

This isn't the early 2000s. We have talent playing abroad in every single position. They just have to be given a chance.

And if you're alluding to COVID when you say "current circumstances," once again, Rueda just bombed the perfect circumstance he had to test things out. We had to give up hosting. There's no such tihng as the Confederations Cup anymore. He himself said he was using this tournament to "experiment." Even the one viable prospect he called, Campaz, got no shot at all in this meaningless tournament.

ryu79 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We have to deal with reality and that reality is generated by the manager Rueda.
    The role Cuadrado has as starter seems pretty much set in stone. I do not see any of the players that are talked about in this forum stepping into his role as a player or as a captain.

You and Crzd can hope all you want that Cuadrado gets benched but I personally will have to see it to believe it.

11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    This is the ENTIRE point, Homie.

When you call Yimmy Chara and Juan Ferney Otero for a callup, it speaks levels to the caliber of players who ARE and ARE NOT on Rueda's radar. There's no excuse for Sinisterra, Santi Moreno, Valoyes, and Carbonero to not be on his radar with the level they've shown against the competition they face. There's no reason for Agudelo to not be on the radar, even if he isn't an absolute starter for his club, simply because he's a young, talented Colombian.

EVERYBODY should be in Rueda's radar. Whether he trusts them is another story. Like I said in the previous post, the players will gain trust when they actually start to play. We can only reasonably expect that to happen when less pressured minutes arise, which isn't often. Rueda blew that completely with the only 3 prospects he has on the roster: Lucumi, Cuesta, and Campaz. And Lucumi HAS played before and done well...

ryu79 repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Once again, we have to deal with reality and there's no signs that Agudelo is in his plans or in his radar.
    He may possibly be, but I am not going to say he can play Cuadrado's role and start. That seems to be a large leap of faith.

13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't even think he should be benched. I liked Cuadrado a lot when he was playing 8 for Quieroz. His workrate caused him to own that position, and in that spot he wasn't allowed to be a main reference point and detractor of our attack.

That might be hard to work in for Reuda's tactics, but it's his job to know the performance of his team. The media fell in love with Cuadrado and started calling him the leader of the team for how he played under Quieroz and his system.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure Rueda himself recognizes the lack of offensive punch Cuadrado gives us. In the match vs Argentina, Rueda had Cuadrado move to RB to accomodate for Chara as the RW. Cuadrado's contribution to that match contributed GREATLY from that point forward because he had more room to operate, just like he does for Juve.

Reality is not generated by anybody. Reality is reality. There's no subjectivity to it.

ryu79 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The reality of the situation of players being called up and players having certain roles is mostly up to the manager.
    I am not getting into a philosophical argument about Subjectivity vs. Objectivity. Just simply saying from the evidence presented Cuadrado's role seems very safe.

What I said to CRZD holds true in my mind.
    You replied to that post.
    Now you say you do not think he should be benched so you should not be arguing with me then.

15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    What a waste of a game, why on earth would you play Cuadrado, Barrios, Duvan and push these guys for more minutes in a game that means nothing when you can try out younger players? Rueda is making some really stupid decisions, Murillo and Chara???? Not getting to see Campaz and not starting the young CB's is unjustifiable. You're 'stars' are overworked and you trout them out here?

IDK there are a lot of bad signs with Rueda right now, he goes to Chara over Muriel? We have not played well all of this tournament, if you take out the wonder goals of Diaz we are a lot worse off. He's gonna frustrate a lot of people and the pressure is going to build on him at the first sign of adversity.

ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand the points of concern.

It was his first tournament with a group of players he is mostly learning about though. Maybe we are being a bit critical. I believe if it was a new foreign hire who took us to 3rd place we would all be mostly be like well he is still learning about our player pool and trying to learn how to acclimate them to his tactics and it is acceptable to get 3rd.

We seem to have higher standards for Rueda -which is a good thing I suppose.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say in September. If he frustrates a lot of people and we get 6 points it is still 6 points.

17. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    No reason to get snarky, Homie. And no need to get semantic either.

Several thoughts and claims are being made in all our posts and this thread is titled "Peru vs Colombia." There's not one single argument going on here, and we're not having a one-on-one anyways. It's a discussion.

BUT, if we're gonna go that route, CRZD himself didn't say he should be benched, he said he "hated him" for Colombia. You said there's "no logical replacement for him." CRZD specifically brought up options of replacing him as a RW--not for any other position. I continued from this premise, and discussed the other wing options.

Going into the "reality" as the manager sees it is kind of a cop out. We can't possibly know it, only analyze and hypothesize.

Moreover, you're immediate retort to Crzd's first response was "James is dead to me." We know full and well this is not the reality for Rueda. He is a viable option, and has proven to be a viable option in Cuadrado's position in his most recent appearances for Colombia and for his club.

And to attest to the "reality" of things, the reality is that James and Cuadrado were playing fine in Quieroz' system with James at RW and Cuadrado behind him as an 8, with the latter playing some of the best futbol he has for Colombia in the past 5 years.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Crzd says multiple times in multiple threads that he does not want Cuadrado to start or even be on the team.
    I replied with the reality check he needed.
    You are making it out to be a much bigger issue than it really is.

19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    My thoughts exactly.

In an ideal world, James works things out with Rueda and Quintero is liberated to travel. With those two around, you bring a lot more balance to the field and take the pressure away from Diaz, who, truly, got us results in these last 4 matches by himself.

I'm EXTREMELY worried about the calendar coming up when it comes to our defense. There's no way with the luck Davinson has at his club and the frequency with which Mina gets injured that these two can play every minute of the potential 9 matches that will be played in the Fall. Forget the question of form...what if one of them gets suspended or injured?

We are DOOMED if we have to rely on Murillo, with the defense already as shoddy as it is, especially when it comes to aerial threats. I, for one, have faith that Lucumi and Cuesta can handle the pressure if they're forced to play minutes.

But it's very irresponsible of the coach to throw a kid into the wolves like that in a high pressure situation with no acclimation. Cuesta, especially, will be crucified if he debuts in a big loss. And it seems that Rueda prefers Cuesta over Lucumi. I'm still baffled how he did not start yesterday...

colombianballa91, ryu79 and villus repped this.
  20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I personally don't really care about the results of getting third one way or the other, the process is what will pay over time. We were basically saved by Diaz scoring ********ing golazo's, our team did not create good chances consistently that are going to be reproducible. Your job as a coach is to scout and do your homework and to see and integrate new players and get them ready for a long cycle. Mina and Sanchez and all the starters aren't accustomed with his tactics either, they are playing, you can do the same with new younger players who are going to be needed, simply trying to get 3rd and rollin out less talented players because they know your tactics doesn't make any sense on multiple levels. It's not close based on age and skill level why these guys played and others didn't, Muriel has been the best sub in the world for scoring goals and playing that roll for almost two years and you don't really use him in that role?

People papered over CQ problems when they showed up and eventually the process played out to shit results, Rueda's process is going in a bad direction and he has less time and friendlies and chances to learn and integrate new players and he wasted a golden opportunity on bad players.

Azucarero repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #171 HomietheClown, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Good points.

I will say that I personally feel tiny bit better after the Copa about our back line in some ways. Munoz proved himself a bit so there is that. Oscar was not that bad in the games he played in to me but I can see why people are worried about him in crucial qualifiers. I am hoping the pair of Davinson and Mina stay healthy but we shall see if that actually happens. The whole Lucumi and Cuesta thing I agree with totally. But the opposite side of the coin is if they play well they will be praised and have confidence. I would hope to have them starting at home which would be better but we cannot control injuries and suspensions as you alluded to.

LB is where everything is horrible for me so hopefully that can be resolved soon but I think I have to be prepared to ride or die with Tesillo which should make everyone here queasy.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Rueda just got here though. No friendlies at all. Little training camps. Two of his creative players he wanted to rely on ended up not being available. A defensive athletic midfielder he likes had personal issues and could not be on the roster.

Not to mention During circumstances that are a bit harsh after a pandemic and crazy crap protests in Colombia.

He said going into this he would experiment and we have seen some crazy things.
    4-4-2 and even a 4-2-4 against Uruguay.

Yes, there's some wacky and questionable things he did with roster decisions and subs but it is difficult to judge the trajectory of the team based on this tournament that we did not even know was going to be held in a place that did not even want to host it.

Doogs repped this.
  23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    When you arrive at Chara playing a bunch of minutes, you start Perez and Murillo what experiments are you doing other then punting on mediocre/bad players? Experimenting with young up and coming players makes a lot of sense, sitting Cuadrado and Duvan and some others for the final game and giving others a chance makes sense, barely playing Muriel when you need a win and using Chara as the first guy off the bench doesn't really scream experiment it screams the opposite, he's defaulting to guys he knows, the problem is these guys we know do not have a ceiling high enough to be playing at this level and the others arguably do, but weren't given much of a chance. Its a head scratcher on multiple levels.

You have good points, a lot of it is a mess and maybe there's other reasons and some guys asked to not go etc, maybe more will come out but at this point there's a lot of questions we all have I'm sure and its not promising in my mind, but let's see what happens going forward. I think Rueda is a good coach overall and hope he succeeds, but I'm gonna keep being critical of what looks like mistakes as well and hope for the best.

24. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is what worries me with Rueda. I think he is a fine coach, tactically pragmatic and can motivate a locker room.

I worry his nepotism though will put us in tough spots where he is trying to work miracles with a lower ceiling squad than he has available to him to call. That worry is founded on the fact that he had MONTHS to scout our talent playing globally, to think about how to set this tournament up to genuinely prepare for what lies ahead. Instead he treated the call up like a sleep away camp reunion. I get that he did it because he was afraid of the locker room and wanted to guarantee himself some peace and send a message to malcontents - but I truly believe with foresight he could have done both and that he squandered the opp to learn about the young players he DID call, and who only learned this past month that it pays to know people more than to earn things on merit.

That's a worry - and he has time to revert that concern by issuing a call up in late August that reflects integrity and effort/research. I am hoping he does.

Azucarero repped this.
  25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    It makes sense to go a little conservative with the locker room to steady the ship when we had such a shit show recently, but how do you risk a Cardona who seems to be a huge wild card? Although maybe that's not in the dressing room for him, also usually when you bring in young guys with good veteran leaders you can get the young guys to be hungry and on board quickly and if they don't tow the line you can cast them out quickly. IDK he's got time to scout and talk to these guys like you say so hopefully he uses that and digs his heels in to mold the squad and locker room, he's the captain of the ship he can set the tone and create the atmosphere better than anyone else.