Peru vs Colombia Copa America 2021 Third Place Match: (July 9ty)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah, Cuadrado only has 9 gols for Colombia while Diaz just got to 5.

I'll never forget how much pace, intensity, and trickery Cuadrado brought to every match back in 2012. In that sense, I can see the comparison. But Diaz can end up being a lot more than Cuadrado ever was.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But in fairness he was glorious at WC2014 until the Brasil match where he lost his composure.

pepinointer repped this.
  3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is exactly right. Both in your assessment that we have tons of options and in your concern whether Rueda has bothered to notice.

We have so much talent and this is the most I've worried about la rosca in so long. Jose Nestor spoiled us.

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    true, he's better.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #130 HomietheClown, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Entertaining 3rd place match which is what most fans want to see.

This ended up being just a glorified friendly for me. Although it is kinda nice to add a second third place victory in 5 years we all know it would have been better to be in those Finals instead.

As for the tournament as a whole Rueda experimented with different lineups and formations. Bringing back the 4-4-2 is not easy when it has not been instituted for a while.

People keep on bringing up James but I truly believe if James was on this team Diaz would not have gotten any minutes.
    Glad Lucho exploded and made a name for himself. I think he can only get better from here.

I am going to be "that guy" and say I am imagining what could have been if this tournament were held in Colombia in front of packed houses. I think we would have won it. At least made it to the Finals but it was not meant to be.
    That said, if we would have won this hypothetical Cup it could have given us some false senses of security and brought along some complacency.

Rueda and this team take away from this Brazil tournament that they need to improve many , many things if they want to even make it to Qatar let alone make a run out of a Group Stage of the World Cup.

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We look the least happy squad to get a medal ever.

7. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3rd place medals are lame

8. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I have no beef with Cuadrado in the Copa and even in the last qualifiers. Out of the 'old guard', him and Ospina stepped up. With Diaz on the other flank, we will see a much better Cuadrado.

Muriel shows he is that super sub but I'm not convinced that a taquito pass to Diaz makes Muriel the 'difference' and he should be playing over Zapata or Borre. Borja today, was also lacking of any interest. Zapata looked awful today, no fight, but he wasn't given much service. The other super-sub, Cardona, was given the nod instead but was also never involved.

Poorly mismanaged by Rueda though. Defensively, this was the worst back 4 he could have dreamed up. Only Seba Perez, instead of Barrios, would have been worse.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    either Rueda really thinks his washed up ex Nacional players are that good or he's trying out all the possible formations and lineup's he sees in his head.

idk im still not sold he truly took this tournament that seriously. Probably because its tough for me to say when he only had one official match before this. I guess we'll see

10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    One would think we lost the match by all these comments, including my own..... :D

11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    There's a LOT of stuff I don't think Rueda sees.

It was tough luck not having Quintero, James being a wild card, and Cardona coming off injury. I can give some benefit of the doubt to Rueda not having that sorted, and I maintain the slight hope Rueda learned that he needs to have even more options set up for the creative spot in the future. (doubtful, since Campaz was snubbed)

Not having a guy who can actually create from central midfield after Uribe before the qualifiers even started told me a lot about Rueda right off the bat. Perez is a joke. Everybody else is defense first, including Perlaza, who also shouldn't be there.

Reuda is too experienced and too Colombian to have such an imbalanced roster.

krass, ryu79, kromekote and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    tbf we should be squishing a team like Peru

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Welp... We didn't win the Copa (only won 2 matches) and most of the games had some questionable decisions by Rueda... So i understand the unrest of all the forum.

krass, Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And we should have been scoring more goals as a whole. But we didn't.

krass and J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    They beat us during round play, played a more balanced, direct game, and were pretty balanced 1st half....but we had Tesillo + Murillo starting, and that's playing 2 men down.

16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the goals were scored today but used a terrible backline today making it way too easy for peru

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True.
    But they also won by an own goal and Diaz did not play in that match so there's that to factor in as well.

18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mina scored a goal for Peru. Idc about them doing this or that as it means nothing. We also just beat them like 3 weeks ago or whatever and with us barely doing much either

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think is diferent...cuadrado is a wing with more tactical work and to clear ....diaz received the ball always close to goal to finish...is almost a striker.

Cuadrado actually started his career as right back, play in udinese there and now actually is playing there in juve....you cant expect of him the same creativity of james or goals of diaz.....are differente type pf players...elite player but he isnt a main tool for attack...

Furnaccio, Azucarero, ryu79 and 2 others repped this.
  20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Yeah I wasn’t saying one was better than the other

just that Díaz is not like Cuadrado

Different players

I loved Cuadrado in that 2014 cycle

amazing player

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Love him now even. But he needs to rest. It's criminal the mileage we put on him. Juve must be beside themselves.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Only negative I will take away from this tourney (other than the obvious Tesillo one I have been yapping on about for months now) is the lack of goals from Muriel and Duvan.

However, even that I will spin positively and say if you would have told me before the tournament (months ago) that neither one of those players would score a goal and James would not even be on the roster I would have said we finished last place and probably lose every game.

Instead. we got third in the Group (Could have gotten second if the ball bounces the right way.). eliminated Uruguay and got third place so there is that sliver of hope.

23. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Those dudes are exhausted too. Duvan didn't look himself today. Even Borja looked spent when he came on and he's played a fraction of the minutes.

Not using the Buffalo or giving Borre more minutes with a pure striker brief given circumstances has been so weird.

kromekote and Azucarero repped this.
  24. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah, tactically, Diaz always plays closer to goal and should naturally score more goals. Their club stats back that up, too.

But the gols he's scoring in this tournament are not a by-product of his being positioned better. The winning gol was an absolute golazo that he scored on pure will, roaming around the box for a window. Cuadrado takes those kinds of shots ALL the time these days and misses.

The breakway gol against Argentina was pure pace and heart. For YEARS, Cuadrado has been the furthest guy up the pitch waiting to lead our counter attack. He gets more breakways than any other Colombian player does but almost never makes any goal-scoring threat.

The Brazil gol, yeah, Cuadrado would almost never be in the area to score that. But, again, Diaz turned it into an absolute golazo.

Not trying to deminish Cuadrado's career for Colombia. He's always been a warrior. But I've never had the hope he'd be the guy to score or even assist when we needed a big play. Diaz was that guy for us this whole tournament.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    @ryu79 Yup. Duvan has played a lot of minutes between Serie A, Coppa Italia, Champions League etc.
    I do not think we have ever had a Striker play as many minutes as he did.
    And factor in a crazy season during a pandemic and maybe that has something to do with him being burnt.

Muriel has never had much stamina so even though he was a super sub still had a lot of physical and even mental wear and tear for him.

Hopefully it is just that being the issue.
    If we make it to the World Cup it will be in November so maybe that will benefit them not being in the Summer after a long season.

26. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia