Persian Gulf Of Tonkin?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yankee_Blue, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't incidents like this fairly common? I remember seeing footage of small Iranian boats (I mean like little open speedboats with one mounted heavy machine gun) buzzing around US Frigates during the first Gulf War.

That doesn't mean someone won't be able to blow something similar WAY out of proportion.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    sounds likely :rolleyes:

4. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    You are correct in that this sort of thing is historically fairly common. The Soviet and U.S. Navies used to have a lot of fun playing these little games with each other. Its pretty much just a case of international cock-waving.

However, there are these little parts:

and:

If this really happened then it goes well above and beyond the usual games and does venture into some pretty dangerous territory. I don't know if it did really happen or not, I'm just saying.

5. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Why the sarcasm? I'm not saying it happened, I'm just saying it isn't as unlikely as you may think.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I just wonder if you are really about to blow up a US warship whether you announce it in advance by radio :D

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    When you have the mighty power of Iran behind you confidence like that comes naturally.

8. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Again, you'd be surprised.

But, if this did happen, the point isn't whether or not they really intended to blow up a vessel, the point is they threatened to do it. As you can imagine, people tend to get a little jumpy when someone threatens to blow them up. I really wouldn't want to see something bad happen because some Iranian (or American) sailor said something stupid over the radio.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It was all easier in the good old days when you just invaded yourself with your own soldiers dressed up as the enemy

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you were on our side.

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    This reminds me of the stories about smart-asses under police surveillance who take to throwing blank keys down sewers and paper wrapped rocks into icy rivers. It may not be a good long term scheme but it sure is fun to make the elephant dance.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    well, hey, at least they didn't capture our sailors.;)

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am glad to see this story meet appropriate skepticism, and I would personally prefer to wait until we learn more about the actual facts before making any definitive comments. For now, I will only say that the part about the radio transmission seems particularly incredulous. Otherwise, the real issue to me is whether the US forces were about to open fire on the Iranian boats, as the Americans have claimed? If true, that would raise serious questions in my mind, especially if the part about the radio transmission is bogus. The rest of the story, on the other hand, is nothing unusual in terms of what happens in the Persian Gulf between Iranian and US forces rather regularly, as Iranian forces certainly track the US forces and occasionally do approach them and might on occasion try to test their actions and reactions as well.

I heard a report on Al Jazeera indicating that the commander of the revolutionary guards has been ordered to appear before the Iranian parliament to respond to questions on this incident. Certainly, if the part about the radio transmission is correct (I highly doubt it), that aspect of the incident would require clarification from the revolutionary guards. In the meantime, I hope that any exaggeration regarding this incident on the part of unnamed US sources, particularly as it relates to the alleged radio transmission, will be seriously scrutinized in the US as well. If it turns out that the story about the radio transmission is bogus, but that the US forces were indeed about to open fire on the Iranian boats, then clearly the Bush administration has lost all its senses and is trying to provoke an incident that could lead to war between the two countries.

14. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle

I agree with you to an extent. The one thing that I will point out is that if an Irainian (or any other) boat got as close as 200 yards from a US warship, that US ship would have a right to consider hostile action. Remember that the rules of the game changed a bit after the USS Cole incident. Taking defensive action is not an incitement to war. Although not notifying the other boat before hand would be an issue.

15. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What are the US ships doing in the Strait of Hormuz to begin with? I thought most of Hormuz is within Iran's territorial waters, mainland Iran is on one side and there are Iranian Islands on the other side.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Who had "before the NH primary" in the Bomb Iran prediction thread? You just might be the lucky winner.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran and the US regularly test each other in the Persian Gulf and quite regularly operate very close to one another. Close enough for the revolutionary guards to even claim to have painted Iran's insignia on one of the US warships not long ago, and for them to take close shot pictures of US forces on regular occasion. One of the latest incidents, indeed, involved a US warship that was about to host the US Secretary of Defense a couple months ago, with Iranian vessels in eyesight of the US warship in question. The two aspects of this incident that are different relate, first, to the claim regarding the threatening radio transmission from the Iranian boats (which I doubt is accurate), and secondly the notion that the US forces were about to open fire on the Iranian boats (which I will not discount, but would not take at face value either as such an action would have serious ramifications and would not be undertaken willy nilly).

In the meantime, Iran has confirmed that there was an "incident" between the two sides, but otherwise played it down saying it was routine and nothing out of the ordinary.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSBLA75955620080107

19. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    You doubt the radio transmission claims. Fine. I also doubt the claims that the Irainians did not rocognize that the ships were American. A decent set of binoculars are enough to make that ID from 1000 yards away.

This incident is likely a pissing match between us, with both sides providing the spin thier respective superiors wanted.

Have a nice day. Peace be unto you.

20. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
  21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blow 'em up. Duh.

22. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    That's exactly what it is. Like I said, this sort of thing used to happen all the time between the Soviet and U.S. Navies. There are legendary stories about some of these incidents. But there are certain lines that were not, nor should ever be crossed. A small craft speeding directly at a vessel, a broadcasted threat, dropping things in the water in front of the vessel, etc. I'm not saying these things did or did not happen, I doubt we'll ever know, but if they did, someone crossed the line.

23. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What precisely do you mean if...?

24. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I certainly can wave my cock with the best of them. :D

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, neither of those examples is quite the same thing--it's very easy to sail in and out of the Gulf of Mexico without coming anywhere near mainland USA. Although, really, the Gulf of Mexico would be pretty hard to defend--I think you mean the Caribbean?

As for the Panama Canal--well, it's a canal.

Curious--anyone know what the international laws/treaties/protocols regarding:

1) the Suez Canal; and
    2) the Bosphoras/Sea of Marmara

are?