Perry Kitchen: Horsing around at Randers FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, May 13, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why again did they make him captain so early?

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro-American bias.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was following the Jambos forum then. If I saw a couple of positive posts, that was it. It was mostly acerbic crap, some that I reposted here. It was disappointing because Perry was a promising DM for us, at the time.

Also, he had a couple of very good games at the start of the 16/17 season, when I felt he didn't get the praise he deserved. Robbie noticed too, and I think that's why he made him captain.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #979 The Irish Rover, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Agents propose options, but it's down to the player to make the final decision. If the player doesn't have the smarts to do his own research (talk to friends & current or former teammates who've played in that country) and/or the strength of character to reject a bad deal, that's on him rather than the agent.

Then again, if you're an about-to-be-out-of-contract MLS player hell-bent on Europe, these are the risks you'll have a high risk of incurring. Perry was hell-bent, and should be lauded for having the balls to try. If things went wrong because FC Copenhagen changed their minds at the last minute, people can't blame Perry or his agent. Reilly's Law and all that.

Well, maybe they can. But that blame game says more about them than it does about Perry and said agent.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For the uninitiated.

Reilly is Murphy's cousin, and he thinks Murphy is an optimist

Ceres and Winoman repped this.
  6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. Reilly.

Winoman repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think fans too often underestimate the effect of coaching changes, especially a guy who is out of his league. And, we also overestimate our players sometimes.

Kitchen is kinda good, but not exceptional, I think, judging from the bit I've seen and his stature at Hearts and Randers.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He tried his hand abroad and came up short.

I don't get why no Championship clubs gave him a look. or 2 Bundesliga clubs.

Surely our fringe NT players are better than the Scottish league.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why no Championship squads? He was never going to qualify for a work permit (and no EU passport).

song219, ArsenalMetro and Winoman repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how did he get to play for Hearts? they're in the UK so he must have somehow got the work permit

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We wondered that ourselves at the time, but the Scottish FA appears to have a looser interpretation of the rules with the government. He is nowhere close to getting an English WP.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Exactly. If he wasn't a lock starter at Hearts he was never going to get an English WP

And if you've seen much Scottish football and BL2 football, you'll quickly realize that, Celtic and maybe Aberdeen apart, BL2 is a good deal better technically and tactically. To be honest, I'd expect any top six BL2 side to finish second or third in the SPL

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the problem. He was never really fringe national team material talent. For some reason, the young man was attributed skills that he never had while in MLS. Not his fault. As a DC United fan, I was honestly shocked by Copenhagen's interest at the time.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So now is MLS at the level of the Danish Superliga. Or are we much lower on par with Sweden/Norway. We seem to be gaining lots of Norwegian/Swedish players and others from those leagues in recent years.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    To be clear though, until the very end, pretty much a lock starter at SPL for Hearts. (not that your other points aren't valid.)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #991 Ceres, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    There now seem to be better players moving from Sweden/Norway to MLS, though not from the Superliga to MLS ... but I think it's the wrong question ... tactically/defensively MLS is not quite on pair with the Swedish league in my opinion, but on the other hand there are more expensive older bigger "name" forwards and attacking midfielders in MLS ...

In the same way MLS and the Danish Superliga is not comparable ... here you can find an older "name" like Rafael van der Vaart warming the bench at Midtjylland, which is also why Danish clubs usually spend most of their budget on developing own talent and stay clear of spending big money on "names" like this, unless it's a Daniel Agger or some other Dane returning to his former club, but usually they end up not doing all to well in the Superliga ...

You will on the other hand find that the wage gap is small, trying to eliminate weak links in a teams and then lots of very young highly talented Danish and Foreign players who are worth millions of $$ and will go on to become regular starters in the top leagues, not least keepers and centre backs,... so again MLS and Superliga is not comparable, because the approach to how you build a team is not comparable ...

MLS need older big "names" and fast paced entertainment to attract attention and money ... there is no need for that in a Superliga fueled financially by the export of talent and the big money found in the Champions and Europa League where you mainly need a defensively and physical strong team and squad with no real weak links, so you can win as many league games as possible so you can then qualify for the Champions or Europa League... even if you don't get past the Group Stage in Champions League, you will earn around $40 million by participating, like FC København also did last season, so this is their main focus ...

http://www.ecaeurope.com/PageFiles/8870/UCL club payments.pdf..

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thanks for the complement.

That first sentence should have read "If he wasn't a lock starter at a Hearts side that was surprisingly running Celtic close instead of stinking up the joint like they were under Cathro, he was never going to get an English WP":(

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Perry will be signing with LA Galaxy today it would seem ...

Dr.Phil and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, I finally get my thread name suggestion used and he f'n leaves.

Heist, wixson7, Gorky and 1 other person repped this.
  20. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Winoman repped this.
  21. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the good news is that the title will probably remain as is (in the dusty bowels of BS YA) until he moves overseas again.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do these figures have any bearing on his salary if he returns?

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nope.

25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego