Perkins on Norway and MLS

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by SilentAssassin, May 11, 2008.

1. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    While he is aware of the debate, Perkins has little time for the critics of Scandinavia as a developing ground for American players.

"I think they're full of sh$t, to be honest," he states.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This observation is really on-point. It's the cap...if a Yank in his mid-late 20s is REALLY good, he's worth more in Europe than the US. And if he's not, the cap hit/production ratio isn't good enough to justify keeping him rather than going with a new guy from college.

And not to get OT, but this is the area where I'm hopeful that the next labor deal will lead to a package of a cap increase (creating more room for the middle class) and an increase in player autonomy will allow the bottom ~85% of that middle class to stay in MLS. (The best players are still gonna go to Europe.)

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The MLS cap allocation dollars will still be top heavy.

But kudos to Troy for making the move.

He struggled a little early but is getting his bearings over there.

4. fjordball

fjordball New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think Troy will be a success here. There have been a couple of incidents during games where he has looked a bit too eager to come out and claim balls in his area and weirdness has ensued, but generally he looks a solid keeper. Great reflexes that's for sure, and he looks unfazed by those unfortunate incidents early in the season which is a really good sign..

5. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000

It seems he's missed quite a bit by his old club who have given away far too many goals and are currently 14th in a 14 team league.

6. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defense is perhaps just as much to blame though. That Gonzalo Peralta fellow looks like the absolute laziest player I've ever seen.