Per owner, Chivas USA will never move to San Diego

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by ENCINITASjon, Jul 24, 2011.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sent out a lot of the starters last time and just barely eeked out a win over the preseason form LA Galaxy.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like game time on 2/22 is at 8pm according to Tickets.com

3. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of strange for Chivas USA owner Vergara to say he would never move his team to San Diego, yet he keeps playing exhibits in San Diego. He also keeps saying for years he looking to built a stadium in LA, yet nothing happens. Now rumors are the Chargers talking with the city on new multi-use stadium in downtown (I would assume for both the NFL and MLS). Is it possible Vergara is scouting San Diego and about to eat crow over his statements about moving to San Diego.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a little early to assume a stadium will be built for the Chargers or that Chivas would move into it. But I do think Chivas is trying to make inroads into San Diego as a secondary market since they have to share LA with the Galaxy already and by and large the Galaxy ignore San Diego. The Lakers do the same thing every preseason (except for this past one) with the same goal of expanding interest down here.

5. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Now that the redevelopment money is gone, So is our hope of a new stadium.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that. It's likely going to be on the ballot in November. So it's not dead yet. Redevelopment money isn't the only way to fund a stadium.

7. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    No one is going to up their taxes at this time. I will not vote for it. My property tax is to high now. Our sales tax is to high. Who is going to pay?

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it came back but maybe I'm wrong lol

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our hope? Because redevelopment money is still dead. In fact it's more than dead at this point. They're dismantling it part and parcel other than existing contracts (which a new soccer stadium would not be).