Pep Talks Not Working - The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing everything is shutting down they will too

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they are not having that meeting in person

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Belgium league just canceled the rest of their season and named the team in first place champion. If the EPL follows suit we’ve managed to lock up UCL

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On one hand I'd like too see the season play out through the now vacated Summer, which would mean we will be past the worse of this before too long, and we will have a team past the injury crisis to give it a go.

On the other hand I'd hate to see the scouse set an all time point record and wins record, and like to see us lock the CL place. Or better yet vacate the whole season and use last years finish.

Am I the only one who wakes up thinking it must be Saturday , cause it has been so long since we have payed a match...days are getting confusing to keep up with now.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't overlook that any resumption of the season would have to include a pre-season. By the time they are back, the players probably will have had as long a layoff as they ever have and won't be able to just pick up and play.

That pre-season eats into the rapidly diminishing available time and any new season would also likely need some sort of pre-season (unless you start it straight off which presents it's own problems). Throw in contract issues and the rest and it's a cluster to think about restarting this campaign.

No easy answers but there is so much more than the league champions to name. There are more clubs out there in situations that would be hugely advantageous or disastrous if the league was called as is. Promotion, relegation and more.

Voiding it would of course have it's own issues. I'm glad I'm not having to call the shots as many will be angry regardless.

PS I have no idea what day it is most mornings. They all run into each other now.

Blueallthru and Yahtzee repped this.
  6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Posted about the topic in the news thread as had seen reports chelsea weren't going to follow an ugly precedant.

It seems liverpool have reversed their own plan to receive government (ie uk tax payer) support to help pay wages. The right decision ultimately but baffling why it was made in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52191140

Blueallthru and lobomojo repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    RIP sympathies for their family

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Premier League clubs pulling a Father Jack on their scumbag decision to get the uk taxpayer to pay their staff's salaries.

S01E05-ju3K2U6Y-subtitled.jpg

lobomojo and Blueallthru repped this.
  11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just makes you appreciate our club. We are almost always ahead of the curve.

12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the club are highly sensitive to any PR matters given our past association with major issues such as violence and racism. The club really do a good job with anti campaigns and where possible to do the right thing socially. I appreciate the club taking a positive position in the anti-racism, anti-anti-Semitism, anti-homophobia and pro gender equality (both with the promotion of and investment in the Ladies team and possibly the most powerful woman in the sport running things behind the scenes).

Of course we still have our share of muppets in the supporters ranks and the club will always be criticized for buying our way to the top but as a modern club feel they do a very good job.

That other wealthy clubs jumped so quickly to a bail-out funded by the workers of Britain is utterly tone deaf. And let's be clear, they backtracked only because of widespread backlash (a lot of it from their own fanbase, credit to those fans), not because of any sense of altruism. The club management revealed their true colours and we shouldn't forget that.

Dr_Intoxicated, lobomojo and Blueallthru repped this.
  13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh absolutely spot on. We've earned a good amount of the criticism, but we get far more right and we've nailed every single decision on this stoppage, and frankly, quite a few others too.

And you're right on the reversals, it was pathetic in the first place and it was the lashing they received from their own fanbase that got them to reverse course.

Kerry Dixon's Boots and lobomojo repped this.
  14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The dutch league have ended their season with no winners and no relegation/promotion.

Harsh for a number of clubs but ultimately it makes sense. Sport is banned there en masse for a while longer and other countries will follow if they care about the health of their citizens. Even closed door games pose a threat at a time when the focus has to be on stifling the spread of covid-19.

I miss football a huge amount but if the epl want to draw a line under the season, fine. I cannot see how relegation and promotion can be fairly determined based on current results.

UEFA can extend UCL and EL as long as they need to but at some point domestic leagues have to look ahead to the next season and allow players to focus on their next contracts.

I hope you all are staying safe and keeping sane. We'll be back eventually and who knows what the new norm will be, sports or otherwise.

Yahtzee repped this.
  15. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Likewise.. hope everyone here is taking care :thumbsup:

Agreed. At this point, no other solution actually makes sense. That's tough on Liverpool as they were runaway winners.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Serie A thinking about opening training Camps on 4 May and hoping to restart early June.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    NISA cancelled and Detroit City will be refunding my season ticket.

Was really excited but Covid sucks.

lobomojo repped this.
  19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just saw this. I think we will only see leagues cancelled when the government makes it impossible for them to continue.

Left to their own devices every league would prioritise money over everything else.

Unless the UK government do what the Dutch and French ones have done, I think the EPL resumes in some format at some time. I just hope they recognize the domino effect. If they continue and the Football League doesn't, what about promotion/relegation? This has to be about more than titles and European qualification. The top of any pyramid is useless without a solid foundation holding it up....

La Liga equating themselves with manufacturing or fishing which is the type of argument I would anticipate from the EPL heads as well.

truefan420 and Blueallthru repped this.
  20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting article. The chief doctor of FIFA is saying he would not recommend a restart. Of course this is in line with a vast majority of medical guidance but that it's coming from a FIFA official carries some additional weight.

Want my football back so much. Want my loved ones to be safe even more.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52462233

Blueallthru repped this.
  21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'd shut the season down, no games behind closed doors.

22. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would finish the season begins close doors. Test every person involved before the match and only allow them inside.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish...rs-way-for-return-to-training-at-start-of-may

Spain is starting back up soon

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t you think those tests could be better used?

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Each phase will need to be cleared but, as I said, the leagues will do everything they can as long as it is permitted, which is precisely the situation in Spain.

It's entirely possible it could be a couple of months before any sort of group training sessions and ultimately matches are allowed. It could only be a couple of weeks.

Worth noting that the Spanish political situation is fragile and they are under a coalition government for the first time in decades. Bringing football back would be a popular move and I don't think is unrelated to how little confidence the people have. Putting la liga back soon would get more people behind them, but it could backfire if things are rushed nationally, especially with how hard hit they have been.

I'm not sure which path the UK will follow at this point. The government have to be perceived as strong (and have the recent backing by the voters) and in particular be seen as defenders of the NHS (the heroes of the nation right now) which would be in conflict with bringing football back in any meaningful way anytime soon.

Interesting times for football and so much more fallout whatever happens.