People to People

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by cs1994, Dec 24, 2005.

1. cs1994

cs1994 New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Has anyone had any experience with People to People Sports Ambassadors? My son has been nominated for a soccer team to play in Holland this summer and I have not been able to find out very much information about this group. I would appreciate any feedback good or bad.

2. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Tell me about your sons ability as a player. Some of theSE organizations ARE MERELY TRAVEL AGENTS TRYING TO GET YOU TO SPEND THOUSANDS ON A "vACTIONS"

3. i don't know about the sport specific trips but a friend's son went to australia last summer and my husband's cousin's daughter has gone to europe twice.

the cousin's daughter has had a blast both times. my friend's son had an awsome time and she said he did things that he would have never been able to do on a regular vacation. she is a single mom with two boys. she fundraised his whole trip. he was gone for three weeks. i am not sure how much it cost but i will ask. i won't see her until the 3rd but i will come back and post more of her opinions. i want to say the trip was 5k. airfare to australia is about $2,500.00. that means the rest of the trip cost less than $125.00 a day. sign me up!!

i was a kid that got to do a few pretty cool trips in college. my memories and the experiences were well worth the money. pretty sure she will say the same about her son's trip!!

4. cs1994

cs1994 New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    My son is a 94 trying out for ODP in Il, a longshot with an October birthday, he has very good footskills and pretty good field vision. He will probaly play one for year with his local team before we look for a more competitve club such as Pride, Ajax, or Magic.

5. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    My kid got one as well. He's nothing special. No interest from anyone at ODP that I'm aware of. Just a pretty good player on a pretty good team. I imagine we are just on some mailing list with about several hundred thousand other players. He threw it out.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We got one of these too. I figure that they got a list of all players on competitive soccer teams, something like that.

7. trickster

trickster New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    I got one too, it seemed a bit suspicious, making an all-star team without scouting or tryouts, just on first come firtst serve so we threw it out

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, so normal that he sometimes plays a year up for a Dallas Cup champion. :p

But you're right, I do think the notice was sent fairly randomly to 1000s of kids.

9. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    We have gotten these letters from both soccer and school the past two years...like John, we pretty much figured we are on a mailing list -- my daughter is certainly not special enough to be separated out for any honors in soccer.

I know someone at work whose daughter went to Europe as a 7th Grader last year -- she had a great time, but it cost about 3K -- not certain that the $ is worth it (unless you have that much disposable income! :)

10. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Count us on the "got one" list. When they said no parent travel (and my son is 11) we filed the idea...

11. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yep -- I was a little leary of sending my 12 yo daughter on something like this for 2 weeks! We told her there will be plenty of travel down the road if she continues to progress in soccer and in school....

12. buzymom3

buzymom3 New Member

May 16, 2005
    Just my two cents worth about P2P...Both my son and my daughter participated in these program's. My daughter went to Australia this past summer for 3 weeks. Cost was $4500. They are encouraged to raise at least a portion of the money themselves. We don't have a lot of extra $$$ after paying soccer fee's so my dd had to raise all of the money herself. :D

This is far from a scam or a travel agency randomly sending letters to suckers. Both of my kids benefited immensely from the experience and the leaders are all teachers who must be teaching the grade kids that they are taking. They must also go thru a pretty intense training program. The kids also meet at least once a month for 3 to 4 hours. They do this for 6 or 7 months before the trip. They discuss and research the country, culture, food, etc.

My daughter did things that even if I could afford to take her we could never have access to. She swam with wild dolphins on an island called Tangalooma, she had a home stay in the outback for several days that was amazing, they met the PM, she went to a sheep ranch and learned to shear sheep, the list goes on...

Students names are gotten several ways...top 10% in standardized testing, referral from a teacher or someone who has traveled.

I do not know anything about the sports program, my kids were both with the academic program. But my 11 year old also received a letter about soccer training in Holland. We have considered it, but will probably wait a year. I have heard people say that the sports program kids do not get to see as much of the country and have different experiences, but it was all positive.

FYI: the one thing that really impressed me about this organization, is that once my son (he went first) was in a group (25 kids) it was interesting to learn that 1/2 of them had traveled with the program previously (or had a sibling who had). Repeat business is the best recommendation I know of.

Here is the link if anyone is interested...
    http://studentambassadors.org/

Here is my daughter's website that she built to earn money for the trip...she earned $4500 in 1 1/2 years. It has not been updated since she came back, but you will get the idea.
    http://samip2p.com/

Sorry for the sales pitch, but we have been really impressed with the program and have no problems...Please forgive my rambling on! :eek:

13. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I'd rather have the two cents.

Yes, far from a travel agency, more like a time share marketing ploy.

How nice you just happen to have the link.

Yup, I take your apology for true SALES PITCH.

I also have had no problems, nor will I, as I have also filed it as Mr. Next level did.

OK, now kids may have a good time, but why disguise this for what it really is?

14. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Hopefully your statement will come true. Niether are quite there yet.

15. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    C'mon man.

I love ya, but for once have something constructive to say. Seriously.

16. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, that is helpful. I will be waiting for my son's invitation to the academic program, he should qualify for that also. Because he won't be going on the sports program.

I would be willing to pay for the academic program though.

17. 0506

0506 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    My son, who is only 12, got it too. I saw it as unsolicited mail and tossed it. I imagine we are on someone’s mailing list.

Now that we have this thread and link to the P2P Web site, I checked the Web site as well. My first impression about P2P—it is youth travel agency more than anything. There is nothing there about youth soccer. Perhaps, it is a new selling point. It is telling me a lot that prices are not listed anywhere—you have to attend a meeting to learn more about the cost.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Anytime you have to attend an introductory meeting to learn even the basic details of an offer, it's a scam. No ifs, ands, buts, or exceptions.

19. cent

cent New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I coach a U16 girls team and have had two of my players attend P2P. One in Australia and one in Holland. I don't believe that they were "chosen" as my daughter has received this same invite for the last 4 years too. However, Both girls had a great experience and played a lot of soccer. If you are looking for the best soccer experience you should prob look elsewhere. If you are looking for a very well run soccer vacation/ cultural experience then P2P may be the way to go. I have heard all good things, and if your child feels special for being "chosen" for P2P then why not. JMO

20. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you make some goo dpoints here. If you are looking for a serious soccer training and playing experience you will probably be disappointed. If you ar elooking for a fun, educational experience that involves soccer to a degree then maybe go to the meeting to find out what it costs.

21. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Well put.

22. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I haven't put in cause I wanted to double check this was the group a friend of mine was involved with. It is.

His daughter went to Australia last year with P2P to play soccer and LOVED it, they stayed at the Olympic Village, travelled around a bit and played a few games. She is going to China this year.

His opinion was it is a GREAT program, if you can come up with the money the kids get to see different parts of the world, experience the various cultures as well as meet people from around the US that you are suddenly teamed with.

23. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    I have received these materials for my boys also. I think for two or three years now. I really never looked at the literature and disposed of it almost immediately. We are lucky enough that our club travels to Europe when the players are U13 and U15. I went with two of my sons two year ago to Belgium, Germany and Holland. This summer's trip is to Spain. Bring on the Sangria.

24. i think it is sad that you consider P2P a scam. it's not like they steal you're money and you have nothing to show for it. don't think your kid could learn something from it?

busymom3, NHref, my friend, and others have had kids who had great experiences through P2P. they do some things that most people never get to do. for the kids that don't have the trip handed to them by mom & dad, they have to earn it. it teaches them to work for a goal.

i participated in a college age international program. it was for jumpers & dressage(horses). i was told that they had talked to my college coach about my riding ability. turns out they didn't. lucky for me i had the riding ability to hold my own. i wasn't there for just the competition but the whole experience.

i competed in rhode island at an international competition. 13 countries were represented. the host country supplied the horses. i had a blast.

in january 1991, germany invited a team from the U.S. and a team from Russia to their national finals in berlin. the wall had come down the previous september. they were still celebrating. the cultural experience of that trip was amazing. when i got off the plane, all the security guards in the airport had uzis'(sp? machine guns). we visited Dresden(sp? in east germany). there were buildings that still had smoke damage from WWII. we had a group of 12-15 people speaking 3 languages. when we went to put tables together at a resturaunt so we could all sit together the waitress freaked out. they were so set in the communist ways that flexiability was not in their culture. most of east berlin was getting a phone in their homes for the first time. military service for young men is required. while we were there...desert storm started. there were tanks rolling down the streets of berlin. it was a little scary especially when they started talking about canceling international fights.

as a college student abroad for the first time...it was an amazing experience. well worth the money.

25. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Have fun Vago....who will you be playing this time? BTW....I heard about the Swingers party in the hotel in Orlando for the Disney showcase! Was that you in the Toga? :D
    See you on the fields !