People going solo

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by jellymunky, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jellymunky

jellymunky New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so my buddies are all jackasses (topic for another thread) and looks like I'll be heading to SA solo.

Wondering who else is going solo, maybe we can form a rag tag army.

2. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I'm going by myself. None of my friends have the desire to spend so much money going to the World Cup without our country (Scotland) being involved, but that's not going to stop me. Travelling with friends is a lot of fun, but it's just as fun when you're by yourself as you don't have constant discussions/arguments about where to go and what to do (when football is involved and everyone is full of opinions it just gets worse!) I'm sure you'll have a great time by yourself.

3. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going it alone as well. I've traveled solo in several places and have always had a wonderful time. I'll have friends arriving about half way through the World Cup that I will connect with but I've booked everything for myself and love the freedom of doing what I want when I want and where I want, I'll be doing the full World Cup!

4. Sam77777

Sam77777 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Im in the same boat...i got tst3 for england...my mates wanted to go but when i told them minimum would be 3k they got a bit shook....now i have booked to go with the misses...i know at first i was like WHAT...but then shes the only one who has shown some excitement etc.....i there have spare ticket for tst3 england mesg me if interested

5. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  6. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure what 'hmm' means but I went alone to mexico in 1986 and had no problem meeting people without spending every waking moment with them and it was very good. Not sure I talked about much else than football for the whole period but who cares. If anyone wants to copare I saw 6 games inc. Final. SF, 3rd/4th, Quarter F and two second round matches all in for about £2,600.

7. jellymunky

jellymunky New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my buddies got shocked at the jacked up prices (understandable) and security. Justified or not, they are not going. Too bad for them.

I'm not terribly worried about being solo but would have appreciated the company on the long ass haul and splitting the housing bill. I was there in 02 and true enough had no issues hooking up with people for the after parties and locals at bars.

Anyway guys, if you see a overly happy solo dude after the US beats England (sorry sam) stop by and say hello.

8. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    I'm probably going to be going solo too, as my friends have almost definitely pulled out.

I've not travelled on my own before, but i'm looking forward to it. It should make organisation a lot easier for a start.

9. Crop Circles Maria

Aug 1, 2005
    Valencia, California
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    For once I'm going with someone to South Africa.
    I've gone solo to Germany, the Austria/Switzerland Eurocup, and the Rugby World Cup in France.
    You're going to have fun. You're going to have a blast in the train drinking with other fans, on the way to the stadium with your fellow countrymen, hanging out at the pub before or after the game, hanging out with fans from all over the world at the fan zones watching the game on the giant screen. You'll even be chilling with the fans you're playing against.

10. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    No, its just my mind is wondering and wandering....getting ideas....but i think its to early for me to reveal what i wanna say...

11. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    dunno...sounds exciting for me doing this alone...going back to your country you will have something to talk about....Doing it alone can have a value that more than one person, won't. But the opposite can also be true....experiencing it with someone you know, has different values to it...

12. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    3 of us going as one has pulled out of our original 4 due to accommodation costs.

We've 2 tickets for quite a few games so I'll be going solo for some games.

Have done it for other world cups so no worries. you always meet people.

13. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    With this ticket window not being first come first serve I've tried to use the extra time to gather people to go, but after estimating the cost to be about $4000-$5000 it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to commit to going. If I don't have anyone interested by mid-January I'm just going to say "F it" and order the tickets by myself. And if I get them, go it alone I guess.

Definitely would be nice to have someone to split a room with. I haven't really looked into hotels yet but I'm guessing they'll probably be around $200 or so a night, so cutting that in half could end up saving me about $1000 overall... :/

14. amarusgear

amarusgear Member

Jul 20, 2009
    San Fernando Valley
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have tst tickets for the US, but my buddy said he wanted to wait until the draw to see where will be located. Now the airlines tickets have gone up and he is balking. I also never traveled solo, now going from LA to Joho seems like mission impossible. But I'm hoping plane fares get to 2000 at least, and I'll start recruiting but no one I know really cares about futbol.

15. AyanO

AyanO Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Apr 22, 2005
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey all. I went to Germany 2006 solo and loved it. Had TST-5 for USA, and managed to easily find places to stay and travel to each game. South Africa has been a dream trip for a few years..
    South Africa is looking a bit harder with these jacked up accommodation prices (come on $75 for a TENT in WINTER??), and long/expensive flights.. I'm going to try to get a decent flight using FF miles in the next few weeks and if i get that done, i will just wait out for the accommodation prices to drop like a rock closer to the start of the tourney after many of the foreign tourists have been scared away due to costs.
    Game tickets i think will be easy, just look at the USA vs Slovenia in 63,000 seat Ellis park for example. Even the 12% allocation the US Soccer is going to get is 7500 seats. Do you really think 7500 American fans will be traveling??? I doubt it.
    Anyway would be interesting in chatting/staying in touch with anyone planning to go solo for their thoughts on Flights/Hostels/Accomidations/Game Tickets.. Less than 6 months i'm getting excited

16. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm interested that you think not many US fans will travel when supposedly there have been over 100,000 tickets applications from there. When i brought this up months ago people said loads will turn up. I'm interested do you think most of the demand is from ex pats from other nations and or the joyous ticket agencies we love so much?

17. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed I think it is the ticket agencies looking for the final tickets. I think it is fair to say that many of the fans of other countries such as Mexico will be U.S. residents.

I think uSA v England will be tough to get into but the other 2 USA games should be no problem.

Some friends at the Confederations Cup had problems getting into games though that were half empty as there were no ticket sales on the day or no sellers around. Obviously they could have bought in advance but didn't.

18. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes I think you maybe right. I saw USA v Mexico in Korea and tehre must have been 300 US fans all of which were from the Army. Yet in Nuremburg for the USA Ghana game they must have had 20,000 so i was a bit surpruised by the change. In all honesty a number seemed to have been dragged along to support the USA whatever the sport was.

19. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Heaps of my mates are attending this world cup but I did Germany 2006 solo.

If your sociable and friendly I reckon doing it solo is probably better anyway.

20. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan to go solo as well. Like some of you, I'm in a situation where my friends (understandably) are unwilling to pay the ridiculous prices this World Cup is currently commanding... I'm looking forward to meeting others!

21. iancampbell9

iancampbell9 Member

May 10, 2006
    Looks like i'm part with people and part solo.

Mates have a base for whole tournament in J'burg but England are also playing in Cape Town and Port Eliz and it seems madness to go back to J'burg inbetween.

This could be quite a good thread for what people have to offer.

e.g. I may have a free room to offer for 4-5 nights in Cape Town for someone that could drive me from J'Burg to Cape Town at a suitable time.

22. Crop Circles Maria

Aug 1, 2005
    Valencia, California
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You won't be solo,
    thousands of your fellow countrymen and thousands from all over the world will join you in your experiences. You just haven't met them yet.

23. chunnerz

chunnerz Member

Jan 6, 2010
    So all you awesome solo people,

What are you doing for accomodations in Jburg?

24. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I am waiting until after this ticket window closes and I find out which matches I am actually going to before making any reservations, but a majority of my requested tickets are in JoBerg so I'd be interested in hearing everyone's plans are for there too. I'd probably also be looking to split a room with someone as well since cutting my hotel costs in half would be huge.

25. iancampbell9

iancampbell9 Member

May 10, 2006
    Yeah me too on that, have got some mates out there but i was late on confirming flights and dates etc.