Penny Lane - Richmond, Virginia?

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by tallguy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I have to be in Richmond, Virginia, on business on the evening of the 15th and I won't be able to go to RFK for the big hoedown. (sob, sob, sob). What's this Penny Lane pub that people talk about that's somewhere in, around or near Richmond?

I have reservations to stay overnight in a hotel that's smackdab in downtown Richmond. Is this Penny Lane pub at all convenient to the downtown area?

Thanks for your help & advice!

Tallguy

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  3. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    It's awesome, and right downtown. I pretty much lived there in fall '05. It's owned by an old dude from Liverpool who has done a better job creating the "English Pub" atmosphere than any place I've ever been to.

They have a DCU scarf hanging from the ceiling, so you know it's a good place.

I'm actually going down to Richmond the day after the Chivas game- if you're still in town I'll buy you a beer there.

4. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PennyLane is easy to find. http://www.pennylanepub.com/

There should be some other folks that will meet up there, I am making the drive up to DC so not me. Plenty of seating downstairs at the bar and in a little alcove off to the right. Good mix of beers, no american micros mainly british as to be expected. You might want to grab dinner somewhere else, while the food at Pennylane is alright, it is not award winning. There are a lot of good spots to eat in Richmond send me a pm if you want some suggestions.

5. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    btw if american micros is your thing, go to Capital Ale House one block south and like 2 or 3 east (on main st). Can't watch the game there, though.

6. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I recommend the pregame margaritas at that place we go to before games in Richmond (I am so wasted).?

GM

7. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    I pretty much lived there in summer '83. :(

Funny, I remember him being on the young-ish side.

8. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may and you are speaking of Bandito's Burrito Lounge http://www.banditosburritolounge.com/. Not as close to downtown but good food and drink. I don't think they have FSW.

9. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thatud be da place, me brudder!!

GM

10. apmgtv

apmgtv New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Big Lick, VA
    Penny Lane is good times laddie! I miss it. Best place in Richmond. And Mr. Terry is a hoot.

11. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    The place was like Cheers to me :D

12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, guys! Looks like I'm going to be staying overnight on Bank Street, which seems to be about 5 blocks away according to Google mapping. If I decided to walk to Penny Lane Thursday night -- well, is this a safe neighborhood to be walking about in late at night?

Looks like I'm going to make it for the game -- but, I will have to be at the top of my game Friday morning so it may be just a beer or two for me, if I decide that I'm sufficiently prepared to knock off Thursday night -- man, I sure don't want to miss this game even so.

Thanks, again, for all the advice & help.

13. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    It's certainly not unheard of for that area to be unsafe, but you should be fine if you just keep your wits about you.

14. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support what Goose says, not a rough neighborhood but certainly won't be crowded with folks on a Thursday, so as long as you aren't counting your money as you stand next to the darken alley you should be fine.

15. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha, so downtown Richmond tends to be deserted on weeknights. I'm really thinking about doing it -- although, as I mentioned, I'm a bit nervous about what I have to do Friday morning. Would I be the only supporter there? Would Penny Lane be likely to switch a television set to the DCU-Chivas game if I'm the only one there who's interested in watching?

16. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    They will definitely have the game on, even if it's just for you. Penny Lane supports United.

17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent.

18. The Big VA

The Big VA Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myself and two others will be there to watch the game as well. Hope you can make it.

19. The Big VA

The Big VA Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also second the safety situation. As long as you aren't screaming "I have money" while you wave fifty dollar bills in the air you should be alright. I guess the best way to put it is that Richmond is a city, act accordingly and you will be alright.

20. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a HUGE police station for Downtown Richmond about 2 blocks from Penny Lane on the way to and from your hotel on Bank Street. It's located on the edge of the Financial District of Richmond and like said above, unless you're standing in the middle of the street screaming for someone to come mug you, you're fine. I have watched plenty of United games in Penny Lane by myself. There's a bartender that works there I know well named Paul. He goes to a handful of United matches a year. He's a Charlton supporter actually but a fan of the game bottom line. They've got DCU stuff hanging on multiple walls and usually will even put the volume on for the game even if it's just one person.

21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'll be in town to do oral argument on a criminal appeal before the Fourth Circuit on Friday morning, so I'll have to feel confident about my prep level tonight before venturing out. But, it would be good to take some time off and relax -- and, I really want to watch this game.

Vamos United!

22. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the got like 20 tv's, they can at least put one of them on, just watch out for march madness people, they tend to go there too

Pedro