Pennsylvania Turnpike Strike

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TeamUSA, Nov 28, 2004.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I love strikes like this. It saved me $16 on my way back to school.

Thanks lazy-ass teamsters!
    :)

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, exactly?

Would you stand out in a tiny booth through sweltering summer days and blustery mid-January snowstorming nights alike, breathing in clouds of carbon monoxide and diesel fumes, taking the chance that someone might pull a gun on you or something, for peanuts? I wouldn't.

That said, saving me a tenner on my ride home from OH to CT was a big help, too.

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's why you hire university students instead of overpaid and under-worked Teamsters.

Besides, putting in bullet-proof glass is cheaper than hiring a bunch of Teamsters.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take this as sympathizing with the workers, but there are a half-dozen or so "turnpike commissioners" who make very good money for doing nothing. The jobs themselves don't deserve $50K, but the patronage in PA government makes their argument work.

6. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Several people, including a professor of mine that I respect highly, have told me that the PA turnpike system does not generate a significant amount of revenue for the state. In essence it is a bureaucratic dinosaur that exists only to maintain the jobs of those working the toll booths. If this is indeed the case I say axe the whole thing.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of these state agencies have political appointees running them, and those people are never sufficiently qualified to do the work. If the PA Turnpike commission is really looking for a quick and easy way to save money, they could do worse than firing half their management and executive staff.

Besides, $50K annual salary isn't exactly rolling in money.

8. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    No, but $50k/year doing a job that does not offer anything to the society is a waste of taxpayer money.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That $50k includes alot of overtime. It's a very dangerous job. Most of the "unrealistic" demands were for healthcare since they suck exhaust fumes all day. That said, the teamsters always do throw in some nice perks for their boys in negotiations.

10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Turnpike have ezpass?

11. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
  12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technology will eventually make these jobs irrelevant. But the turnpike does make money on toll collection -- just not enough to cover the full cost of running the turnpike. That's true about nearly all toll roads on the planet. It's not like the toll collectors themselves are a drag on the turnpike's finances.

13. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    My Father in law spent his Thanksgiving with us, coming down from PA. He was okay with the strike and also happy with the fact that he paid the lesser of the ezpass or $2 according to the strike rules (they are charging a fixed $2 per car while the workers are on strike). My wife took him to the grocery store where they went through the self checkout line. He had never been through one before and wouldn't follow the directions. He quickly called the clerk over to help. When he came home my daughter asked him about it. It turns out that he never went through one before and called the clerk over because he didn't want anyone to lose their job. :rolleyes: