Pennant plays the race card.....

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by otterulz, Apr 14, 2005.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the link:
    Pennant hits out at Wenger policy

"Jermaine Pennant believes Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger's reliance on foreign players has forced him out of Highbury.
    The 22-year-old, who is on loan at Birmingham, told BBC Radio Five Live: "The number of games I've played in six years at Arsenal is pretty poor.

"I don't know whether it's because I'm English but Wenger brought in a lot of foreign players and they're playing and I got brought in and never played.

"I was patient but it just didn't work out for me, which is frustrating."

Pennant was released from prison two weeks ago after serving one month of a three-month sentence for driving offences.

He has returned to Birmingham - where he has been since January - and hopes to tie up a permanent move in the summer."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingrate. Stay in Birmingham.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You can see both points of view.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can. And I'm sure it must be frustrating for a young player to come to a team like Arsenal and only playing 5 times. But at the same time, what has he ever done to earn a permanen spot in the first team? Seemed like the only discussions about him a couple years ago were about how big a headcase he is.

4. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one way to play in the First XI. That is to be better than the rest. Obviously he wasn't so he was loaned out multiple times to get better. He never met Arsenal standards so bye bye. What an ass.

5. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ****************!!!!

His play and time on the pitch was an issue
    BUT
    does anyone think he'd not be a gunner if he hadn't gotten pissed and drove?

6. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he playing the race card or the nationality card. Really big difference there IMO.

7. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pennant blames everyone but himself. What a moron he is.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From, Pennants quotes you can tell he really takes no responsibilty for his situation. Can you say relapse, people? I think the over under is 18 months til his next "incident".

9. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    can people stop calling a "card" as if it's something you can arbitrarily keep or use whenever you want. There's a huge assumption that people are making when they say dumb $hit like that, as if racism (overt or not overt) doesn't exist anymore, "so stop whining you dumb..." Color, like gender, and to some degree ethnicity and sexuality, cannot be hidden. So telling somebody to put their "race card" away is a ridiculous notion. And if by race card you're trying to say that people of color are just imagining things...god help your ignorant self.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, don't play the ignorance card with us. :D

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he doesn't mention race at all so the title of this thread is wrong but he is still a fool.

The problem Pennant is that you've already used up your second chance, your third chance, your fourth chance, and so on. Time to stop acting like a silly little boy and realize that you're being paid to be a professional.

I really wanted Pennant to come back at the start of this season and play his heart out for a new contract and a long term role in the side. He has plenty of talent and we could have used him to add a different dimension to our attack and increase our options when plan A wasn't working. I called for him to get more starts especially when Ljung was out. However the same old Pennant showed up and blew it yet again. Goodbye and don't let the door hit you in the Arse.

There are some problems with Arsenal's youth program and progress from youths or reserves to first team but that doesn't begin to explain Pennant's exit.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I don't know whether it's because I'm English but Wenger brought in a lot of foreign players and they're playing and I got brought in and never played."

I used the term "race card" as a joke since it's always referred to by someone's ethnic background. So yes, maybe it was a big misleading but I only meant it as a joke.

And baseball kicks ass.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I never realized that BMWs are racists.

14. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Welcome to the Arsenal forum, sorry what did you say? You found the exit? Great. Make sure you use it and don't come back.

15. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aww, but he just got here! :D

Anyway, what bothers me about Pennant is that he fails to blame himself for anything that has happened. It seems more of a "Woe is me" type of deal. Who knows, maybe he should have started a few more games. But didn't the club do him a favor be loaning him to Leeds and such so that he won't be wasting his time on the bench or in reserves? Where's the thanks for that? There's no "Maybe I could've done a bit more" response from him making it sound like Wenger was the cause for his lack of playing time. Then the pathetic "Is it because I'm English?" question is mind-boggling. Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell are what, Chinese? Do they not have regular spots in the first team? You could hear hints of an excuse with the way he was saying he didn't play regularly and he was a kid in a big city. Well he should've been able to conduct himself like a professional. Either way, he worked his way out of Arsenal so he can blame whoever he wants I suppose. I do genuinely hope that he can stop being a dick and get his career together because he has shown flashes of brilliance from the little I've gotten to see him. Dick.

16. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    this is hilarious considering what he just says about wenger.

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "I don't know whether it's because I'm English but Wenger brought in a lot of foreign players and they're playing and I got brought in and never played."

Jermaine, there is a purely logical reason why your boots rarely if EVER graced the pitch donning the magnificent red + white kit for The Arsenal, it's called lack of talent.

Pennant...don't play the victim, you inconsistent, immature little man!

18. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    IMO it's a symptom of the much larger problems that have caused him to tank his own career so quickly. I've said it before, this boy needs a great deal of therapy.

19. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    This thread title is a bit of a wind up. Think what you will about the foreign influence in the Arsenal, lord knows Arsene has received criticism for it, but this is not a racial issue at any level. The thread title leads you to believe that Pennant feels he's not been treated fairly because he is black.

This is obviously stupid. Of the first choice 11, 7 are black, including many of players that are not English. If people want to criticize the number of players on the squad that aren't English, then that is fair game. But don't imply its a traditional "racial issue." Doing so only minimizes the situation where racism is a geniune problem that needs to be addressed.

20. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I agree about the thread title. Honestly, somebody really should change it, as it's totally misleading and will just lead to trouble from people who see it on the front page of BS.

As for what Pennant said, the simple fact is this is typical of him and a lot of other young English players. Nothing is ever their fault and they feel that, because they're English, it's their right to be on the pitch, no matter who else the manager may have to choose from. Jeffers had pretty much the same attitude when he was sent to Everton, then got benched by David Moyes for it. Pennant had chance after chance, in spite of his attitude and his off the field issues. Obviously, neither of those has improved, so good riddance I say.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, sorry about the thread title. I meant it to be misleading as a joke but I guess no one really found the humor in it. It was supposed to be ironic since he doesn't talk about his skin color but instead of him being English instead. Didn't mean any harm so if someone can change it then that'd be great. Again, sorry if I offended anyone as I totally didn't mean for it to come off that way.

22. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Otter, you know better than to stir up trouble while you are still standing before the star chamber aka kangaroo court?

23. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Todays Arseblog sums it up quite well.

It must be a worry for Steve Bruce that Pennant is still not taking the blame himself.

And if Pennant is so level headed and good then why aren't Manu,Chelsea and Real all beating down Arsene's door ?

24. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wonder if David Bentley will adopt the same tactic when he goes.
    Although he doesn't apply the colour aspect, not that Pennant touched on that. (He can't really when you look at the rest of the squad).
    I think that he forgot to mention that age old adage.
    "If you're good enough......". Clearly he wasn't, certainly not for Arsenal.
    Leeds, Watford and Birmingham, yes.
    If you want to dislodge established internationals and World Cup winners then you need to be as good if not better. Here endeth the lesson. :)

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We meant to, but stupid Ashley Cole showed up to the meeting instead. :rolleyes: