Penn State Soccer Update

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by psusoccerfan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Look forward to seeing your squad at Tallahassee on Sept 4.
    Good luck this year with your other games!

2. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Any update on whos scored for PSU, who looked good, how the new players did?

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  4. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
  5. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also get fairly regular updates including news items, new postings to the web site, live game reports, and general team updates from Happy Valley via Twitter. Follow @PSUWomensSoccer.

6. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    The PSU vs Virginia match will be web cast on All Access. It is not listed as a free event, but that could change. The web cast can be accessed via www.gopsusports.com.

7. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    PSU 1-0 at the half. Virginia attacked aggressivly toward the end of the half and had several scoring opportunities. Alysha Naeher is the heroine to date making several saves. PSU's goal came on a Danielle Toney goal in which she controlled the ball through the VA defense for the score. She also hit the left post earlier. Naeher is wearing a knee brace on her left knee.

Nairn, Marton, and Evans, all Frosh, started for PSU. Rachel LaMarre came in with seconds left in the first half. They said Megan Gill is out for the season with a knee injury. PSU had several opportunities to score, but couldn't capitilize. They are not getting a lot of zing on their scoring attempts. Not near as much as VA.

8. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    PSU wins 1-0, but the second half was played on PSU's side of the field. VA just couldn't get a good shot on goal. Second half heroine - Lexi Marton she stopped several VA attacks. PSU did nothing offensively in the 2nd half, a little floury at the end, but not much more.

9. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    But enough apparently.:)

10. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    As they say, a win is a win. Thye didn't set the attendance record, but it was the second largest crowd. Lexi Marton played outstanding defense and Alyssha was her usual self. Virginia just managed to keep the ball on PSU's side of the field in the second half.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/082109aab.html

11. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I watched it on matchtracker and was pretty frustrated second half too but noticed the difference in the shots on frame which made me feel a little better from afar. Bless DT for getting her shots on target and the early one. Why were there so many VA offside calls?

My dd was getting texts from a future teammate who made the trek. Fun stuff.

In retrospect it was probably a better game than the 7-0 or 5-0 routs seen over in the ACC.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Congrats on a big victory!
    For whatever reason, UVA always gives us a harder time than even UNC.

Look forward to seeing you guys in Tally!

13. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Virginia takes out Penn State 2-1. Penn State could do nothing in the final third of the field, trying to poke passes through to their two forwards who were covered tight every time they made a run. Too predictable. WVU defense just forced too many hurried passes, and had Toney bottled up. Some good possession along the back line, nice switching, but not enough penetration in the corners for the crosses & entirely too much reliance on the runs straight up the middle, which WVU shut down. Too many lost 50-50 balls. Monroig was excellent at right back, effectively shutting down McCarty for 90 mins. 2nd WVU goal was a nice hard shot, but PSU D should never have allowed it to be set up.

PSU did have a crossbar and close follow-up, but just couldn't nail the onion bag. Tough loss, but they did out-shoot WVU overall. Corners were 1-1 for the game.

Let's hope they can re-group, think it through, and get creative vs. UConn on Monday afternoon.

14. jammmmin945

jammmmin945 New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Is Costa injured? She hasn't played in their first two games...

15. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    When is PSU going to wake up and realize that Big East teams, former PSU independent foes, take these games/matches seriously and they don't? PSU dominates in no count matches/games, but lose to BE teams when it counts.

This is a team that played 0-0 at home to OSU. OSU should be the B10 favorite. Am I Po'ed, YES.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering, why did Nairn not start this game? Then Penn State falls behind and they bring her in?

17. mytreat

mytreat New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    West Virginia
    Uncle Fugly
    West VIrginia has owed Penn State the last four games playing them.. State College is West Virginia's house. Bry was fantastic . She did circles around Penn defense. WVU had 4 freshmen starting What game were you watching? 17 different West Virginia players in.

THe nittany lions did something right they actually scored against WVU.

The Nittany Lions’ goal snapped a scoreless streak of 243 minutes against the Mountaineers, dating back to 2006 (four matches).

West virginia had only 1 starter from last year DEFENSE and only 4 starters from last year as 8 seniors graduated.

Kudos go to Izzo Brown on getting a young team playing together after only 2 games! They will only get better!

18. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    If you go to the Penn State website there is a transcript of a media event that seems to indicate Nairn has been ill and is getting stronger and more fit. No details but she didn't start last game either.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/082609aaf.html

19. mytreat

mytreat New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    West Virginia
    Our sophomore year they beat us on our field to end our season," senior Katie Schoepfer said. "I think it plays in our head a lot. We've never beaten them in the fall so we're really excited to play."
    West Virginia players listed Penn State's Jeffrey Field as their favorite place to play in West Virginia's media guide last year.

I guess it is still their favorite place to play! Go Mountaineers!

20. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough loss for Penn State. I didn't expect that one, but perhaps I should have based on past results with the Mountaineers. That makes Monday's game very important. I think getting Nairn back at full strength will make a big difference. Especially if ballwinning in the midfield was a big issue.

Mytreat, enjoy the win. It is a very good one. However, gloating is very unbecoming. I didn't see you posting here when you tied Ohio State at home. Just something to keep in mind...

21. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    FWIW, from Go PSU Sports:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/083009aaa.html

Also, for what it's worth, PSU defeated WVU 3-1 in the spring, but can't beat them at home now. What has changed? In the spring they (PSU) went 7-0-1, now they can hardly generate an offense.

This begins my self imposed ban on this board. I have obviously become too involved in PSU sports. As Joe Pa once said, lower your expectations. I just don't seem to be able to do that.

22. nvsoccerfan

nvsoccerfan New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    I am also a WVU fan, but lets get real..........Is PSU really a #5 ranked team two games into the season? IF so.........there is a big difference beating a #5 rated PSU team two games into the season and beating #6 rated PSU team in the sweet 16 round of the NCAA tournament. The latter is a greater victory then last nights.............
    I thought the PSU vs WVU match would be close either way, but I never thought WVU would tie Ohio State at home.......very disappointed.

23. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two posts, two gloats. Troll status, pending.

24. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhh...it's early. One one-goal loss does not a season make! That crossbar in the 2nd? Give it an inch the other direction & it's a tied match. Don't listen to the haters. Sure, there are kinks to be worked out, and players who have yet to leave their mark. But this team has a lot of really, really solid pieces in place. Pieces in all positions that will be causing trouble for the next 3-4 years. Face it, last night was 8/29, and the girls reported to camp on 8/7. It's early, and not yet time to sound the alarm. And, FWIW, Joe Pa's advice is, as usual, sage. Relax and enjoy. It's a long season and we're just two games in. I think tomorrow will be a different story, and then we can look forward to a real challenge down in Tallahassee, and then Rutgers, which worries me more than WVU any day.

25. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Wild win for Penn State today. Was following on Gametracker, so I would like to hear from someone at the match.
    UConn scored 2 minutes into the match.
    Danielle Toney scored at the 15 minute mark.
    1-1 at half
    UConn Scored at the 56 minute mark. I was thinking, "What the heck!!!' 2-1 UConn
    Nikki Watts scored at the 75 minute. 2-2
    Christine Narin with the game winner in th 78 minute.
    Shots PSU 30- UConn 6
    Saves PSU 3 - UConn 10
    Corners PSU 10 - UConn 2
    WOW, what a wild one, but nice to get the win.