Penn State Soccer Update

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by psusoccerfan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Any results from Spring Scrimmages?

2. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    They play Villanova and Penn tommorrow in back to back matches. They have beaten WVU 3-1, VA 2-0, and tied Bucknell 1-1. The latter was a late night - 9 P.M. EST or later start - second match of a back to back after having played WVU in the first.

3. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    psusoccerfan - did you see any of the matches and what are your thoughts if you did?

4. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    No I haven't seen them play.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Where did Tiffany Wiemer come from and where has she been hiding? Wow. What a show today for FC Gold Pride on FSC. She could be a star in the WPS from what I saw today.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    WOW! Memories are short. She was one of the best players in College over the last 10 years. She just had the bad luck to be playing at the same time in College as her current team mate, Christine Sinclair. If Sinclair hadn't been around, she would have won two Mac-Hermanns.

I's speculate on why she never got a shot on the National Team, but that would just be a rehash of the lost years under two former WNT coaches.

7. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught both of the PSU matches on Saturday. They essentially fielded two teams, so everyone got a lot of playing time. The first game was vs. Villanova, and PSU won 2-0. Same result for second match. It was fun to see some of the new talent in action. The addition of the '09 recruits in the fall can only make them stronger still.

Villanova plays a very nice game under John Byford.

8. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Does anyone know what happened in the Penn State - Rutgers game today?

9. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    News from the U23 National team exhibition match with Portland Pilots last night. Alyssa Naeher, starting in goal for the U23s was injured near the end of the first half. Looked serious as she was wheeled off the field. Former Pilots player sitting behind me said that she needed to have xrays on her leg. Hope all is alright with her.
    The good news from the match was Katie Schoepfer's game winning goal in the second half. Final was 3-2 US U23s. Katie played a strong 2nd half.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Shoepfer had two goals, both set up by Alex Morgan who created all sorts of problems.

Shoepfer had a pretty active game in the midfield. She was the only one chasing hard in the first half as well. the rest of the u23 midfielders were physical but not very effective. In the second half she benefited from being in the right place to receive two nice crosses from Morgan.

Word is that Naeher had to have xrays. I'm not sure what the nature of the injury was. she tried to dive on the ball on Foxhoven's goal and collided with Danielle just after the strike. It seems like it should have been an upper body-type injury, but that appears not to be the case. They had to wheel her off in a chair.

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fan observer word on Naeher was that after the game, she was on the sideline with crutches and looked like she was in pain. Something for you Penn State fans to check out. This was not played like a typical Spring game. It was very intense, pretty rough, very high speed, and in front of 2,234 fans. There were a couple of other injuries that may or may not have been serious.

12. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Penn State 1 Rudgers 0

13. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Any word on Alyssa Naeher's injury? If serious this will required other goalkeeps to step up sooner.

14. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Result

PSU 4 Maryland 0
    PSU 3 Messiah 0

15. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Thanks for posting this info. Penn State has had a fabulous spring (albeit in scrimmages). Can't wait to see what next year brings!

Any word on Naeher?

16. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    It sounds like they did have a good Spring. Any comments from someone that saw some of the matches (Strengths/Areas for Improvement)?

17. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    I saw a few games this spring. I can tell you that the team is playing some excellent soccer at times. Good control and build-up from the back and the midfield. The finishing has been good this spring but they did not play great defensive teams yet. We will have to see in the fall. The players that stood out for me were #2 Maura Ryan right back, #18 Lexi Marton center back, #10 Christine Nairn center mid and #15 Rachel Lamarre left mid.
    Speed will be a great strength this year compare to last year. They could improve the finishing because they miss so many chances.

18. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Turbo11 - Thanks for the update. I saw Lexi Marton play last fall at in Portland Or, when Canada U20s played US U20s. She was tough to get by and won almost every header. Sound promising for next year.

19. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They looked good in the games I saw, and on those days when they played two games, they essentially fielded two teams. So everyone saw a lot of playing time. The addition of Marten and Nairn is a tremendous boon, and the incoming freshmen can only add to the depth. If I were to critique their play, I'd only say what I do about 90% of women's college soccer: play more possession, less long-ball, don't attack straight up the middle so much & use some of that speed to work it into the corners. Lots of talent on that team, and this fall should be very entertaining.

Has anyone heard anything about Naeher's injury?

20. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    From what I hear, I think it's an ACL. She should be back in the fall

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those two statements seem contradictory.

22. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    I am just reporting what I heard. I was told that she has an ACL and should be back in the fall. I don't know when in the fall and all the medical details. I just hope she can play her senior year.

23. worksmart

worksmart New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Permit me to clarify statements. Injury is a torn PCL which does not
    require surgery but somewhat heals on its own in a few months. She
    is expected back for the season.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks worksmart. Turbo11, ACL injuries take more than 4-5 months to heal/rehab. PCLs are a different matter, particularly if no surgery is required.

I hope she heals quickly and has a good senior year.

25. worksmart

worksmart New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    This may sharpen earlier messages a bit. Following was reported
    April 28,2009, Centre Daily Times:

Naeher suffered a torn posterior cruciate ligament and will have to spend
    most of the summer in recovery but surgery will not be needed.

She should be ready for the fall season.