Penn State Soccer Update

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by psusoccerfan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    That's not entirely true. A of players in the U-17 and U-20 WC missed club matches due to their participation with the WC. The English, Danish, French, German, Canadian players missed matches for sure. Pretty sure the Japanese players did as well.

2. PowerLines

PowerLines New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Are the players in the Woman's Cup paid or is it like the Olympics?

3. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to Naeher and Nairn (two BIG losses), U-20 duty also deprived PSU of incoming frosh D Lexi Marton, who played for Canada. So, technically, PSU was down 3 players.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No college athletes can be paid otherwise they lose their amatuer status and their college eligibility. I guess USSF pays for hotels, transportation and food and that's it.

5. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add gear to that list. Lots of gear. And training. That has a cost as well.

6. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    What's going on?

Penn State is stacking on Nat. player or what? for 2009 and 2010
    So many new player with Nat. team experience.
    That should help them make a good run for the NCAA championship next year.
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=poknaL_RaORDOMcyz_riBDA&gid=5

4 players in the top 50 from topdrawer + Nairn and Marton + 1 top canadian.
    Costa, Thompson, Evans, Molinda, Nairn, Marton and Lamarre add to that Naeher in goal. You would have more than half the team with Nat. team experience and all Feshmans
    I think Penn State will be scary for a few years.
    They may have one of the the best recruiting class in the nation and more to come in 2010 with: Brock, Hayes and Hovington all of them with nat. team experience.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/component/option,com_topdrawer/Itemid,289/gender,f/year,2009/

Erica Walsh and her staff did a good job. Now it will be the players job to make it work on the field.
    With those 2 classes I would like to see how many times they would make it to the college cup in the next few years.

What do you think? 1,2,3 or 4 times?

7. Salta3

Salta3 Member

May 20, 2008
    Things do look exciting for Penn State. However, Turbo, do you really think the coaches' job is done and the rest is up to the players? I would think Walsh and staff have a huge job on their hands for the next few years.

8. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    NO, I mean the coaches did the first part in recruiting top players. Now they have to work together to make it work on the field. The coaches are responsible for the usual players conditionning, positions, team tactics, playing time and more. But at the end of the day the players have to deliver the goods. I think it's one of the first time that Penn State will have the enough talent to compete with the top teams NC-StanU-UCLA-FSU-ND-UP. Maybe what will separate them will be the coaching, look at USC last year. Yes, I agree with you now the work begin.

9. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    turbo -- Agreed, there is a nice influx of high-level talent coming on board, and they should have depth in all areas. The challenge will be to instill that intangible team chemistry that melds all that talent into something effective. But great additions at D, M, F coming to Jeffrey Field this year. It should make for an entertaining season.

10. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Penn State has added another 2009 commitment in Meghan McCarty, M/F, of Oceanside, NY. Meghan was named to the ESPN Rise Fall Soccer AA 2nd team. Congratulations Meghan and welcome to PSU.

Emily Hurd, a 2010 commit to PSU, was named an ESPN Rise 1st team AA.

11. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
  12. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Messiah is a perennial contender for the Div III national championship, which they won this year on both the men's and women's sides. They're located near Harrisburg about 100 miles from PSU.

13. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You should know the school if you are a a fan of soccer in Pennsylvania. One of the best D3 schools in the sport in history, they could give all but the top D1 schools a run for their money.

Over the last few years, they have won in both Men's and Women's soccer several times. At least twice they have won both D3 titles the same year.

I notice the Men's coaching job is being advertised, BTW.

15. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    If i'm not mistaken I think Alyssa Neher's twin sister went to school at Messiah! She was D3 player of the year.

16. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
  17. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
  18. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Lexi and Christine were 2008 recruits who stayed out of school to play for the Canadian and U.S. U-20 teams respectively. The other two are 2009 early enrollees. See NewEngland Nellies post above on Christine training with the National Team. Also, Tani Costa, a 2009 recruit, is currently training with the U-19/U-20 team. Tani is just recovering from a stress fracture which caused her to miss the New Zealand world tournament.

A question for anyone. Does the time a player trains with a national team not count against their eligibility. I know Christine's time with the U-20 team didn't count as a loss of eligibility, but how about from here forward?

19. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Normally, a player has five years during which to play four seasons of competition. A player is eligible for an exception to the 5 year clock for the time spent on National or Olympic teams. The clock starts when a player enrolls in her first class. A player is also released from academic requirements during this period

BUT- a player can only use this exception once and for a maximum period of one year. If she took her exception for the National team, she still has a redshirt year, presumably, but it does count towards her five year clock, and a player can only get four years of financial aid.

If she didn't enroll in classes and gone to her first class, her five year clock hasn't started, and she didn't have to take her National team exception.

NCAA D1 Manual

21. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Since Alexa Thompson and Rachel Lamarre started classes already are they not counted as new signees for 2009? I noticed they were not mentioned in Walsh's information on 2009 signees. They should be counted when 2009 signee classes are ranked by Soccerbuzz and other web sites.

23. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they should be counted, but at the end of the proverbial day, what does it matter? You can rank recruiting classes, etc., but what matters more? In the end, it's the team's record. The Lions have recruited well, and it should be an interesting couple of seasons ahead.

24. turbo11

turbo11 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    They should be included in the 2009 class because they are not from the 2008 class.
    Nair and Marton decided to delay their 2008 entrance.
    Lamarre and Thompson decided to have their 2009 early entrance.
    I have seen others school mention that their 2009 recruits were already on campus.
    The press realease mention that Penn State has 5 new recruits coming in(freshman), but it should be 7 freshmans.
    How will that affect the recruiting class rank? We will see.
    The class rank affect directly the polls and ultimately the NCAA result.

Check it out! All the schools that won an NCAA championships were rank in the top five or six soccer buzz recruiting class 2 years earlier.