Pele vs Maradona vs Zico vs Cruyff vs Ronaldo 9

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Daniel96, Oct 29, 2011.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here's maybe Emilio Butragueno's best goal (not perhaps the best goal ever as the title says ;)) using 3 croqueta's (after the '86 World Cup I think in which Laudrup used it - I'm not sure if Laudrup's use of it for Juventus was before or after this though or both perhaps):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXa3EdlXmI"]The Best Goal Ever - YouTube[/ame]
    And Pele does his right-foot to left-foot move here at 2:29: (like I say maybe not exactly the same as Laudrup/Iniesta/Messi vs Man Utd/Butragueno etc)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPpl4DF8_SI"]pele the greatest - YouTube[/ame]

2. Gregoire

Gregoire Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Football talent and skills
    1A Pele
    1B Maradona
    2 Ronaldo
    3 Zico,Cruyff

Realization of talent and accolades,mentality ect:
    1 Pele
    2 Cruyff
    3 Maradona,Ronaldo
    4 Zico

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That's your own view of lacking info !

Now reality: Garrincha was regarded as a player (along with Maradona86) to have won a WC62 (almost) single-handedly. No need of a 'hand of God" besides

4. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011

So much of epic failing.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In soccer, there's Maradona 86 and then there's everyone else. Garrincha is a legend, but only the GREATEST could score the hand of God like Maradona did.

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    No others could be classified as "singlehandely" won a WC like Maradona and Garrincha.

Messi did the score with his "hand" (in liga) and Owairan Saeed did a great solo goal in WC as well ... Like I said Maradona made his legend for his whole career with great performances - NOT by those "single case" scenarios

7. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would but Romario's 94WC with Maradona's 86. They singlehanded won it for their respenceted nations.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Garrincha had Didi, and the Santos "brothers", all of them all-time legends.

Messi didn't do it at the WC, nor in the context of Maradona's goal. Owairan's dribble is superb, but again it cannot be compared to Maradona's.

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romario can't touch Maradona, keep dreaming.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Romario was on par with the likes Kempes78, or Rossi82- to some extent Kempes, Rossi could have been rated higher for they scored in the final (and more goal). Romario was so valuable to help Brazil to the final, but he was not in his old self in that game (missing a siter - rarely in his career, plus some weak shots straight to the keeper). Baggio at least made a great longshot (force Tafarel with a great fingertips save). Baggio (not to blame) did somehow handed the cup to Brazil

Maradona came from deeper role and got even bettr stats than Romario, besides some great goals and setups, a difference by a big margin.

11. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    brazil94 was well below the 2002 team. brazil94 was totally dependent on romário.romario participated directly in 8 of the 11 goals scored by Brazil in WC94.he has scored 5 goals and gave 3 assists for goals. in the final match against italt, he didn´t scored, but it was the best player in Brazil, creating some chances. Italian defense stopped the duo Romario-Bebeto, because brazilians midfielders (zinho-mazinho) did not help the attack, so it was easier to stop Romario and Bebeto. Romario converted his penalty with class.It was the best performance I've seen in a Worldcup (I started watch from WC90)

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I won't say that Ronaldo was more talented than Cruyff. A common criticism of Ronaldo at that time was that his technique could not cope with his tremendous velocity. So, his sheer strength and speed surpassed his control over the ball.
    I agree with that. Actually, the most impressive player in this respect is according to me Thierry Henry. His ball control wasn't by any means the best of all time but at high speed it did not degrade that much. To put it in numbers:
    Technique when standing still: 9/10
    Technique at full speed (like the goal against Tottenham): 8.5/10

Cruyff was also very good in this department (it did not degrade at all, I'm inclined to say) but had a lower top speed (but still very fast; faster than most contemporary footballers actually).

(don't take these marks as an absolute judgement; I mean it as an example/illustration)

13. Gregoire

Gregoire Member

Mar 22, 2011
    So, what do you say about speed and control on speed about these 5 players : Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, R9 and Henry ?
    I mean absolute degree,not comparing with contemporaries.
    Henry in your opinion 8,5 for control on speed... and others?
    Im very interested about speed and accelerations of legends ive heard,that Pele run 100m in 10,4 sec, Maradona in 11,2 sec,Cruyff run 30 m in 3,8 sec. About R9 and Henry no info.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Have to think about it, but were did you find those numbers. If I'm correct it was Caniggia who could run the 100m in 11.0 seconds... Somehow he seemed much faster than those 0.2 seconds.

edit: wikipedia says 11.2 for Caniggia.

15. Gregoire

Gregoire Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Im from Moscow, I have one newspapper in russian "Sport - Express" - there are the numbers of Pele, M10 and Cruyff. It was newspapper of 1999 year, If I will find it in internet I would give you the link.

16. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Here’s the 88/89 Serie A season assists of Diego:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLpWdSTXvnE"]Maradona assists 88-89 Serie A - YouTube[/ame]

88/89 12 assists
    Napoli 8-2 Pescara 3 assists
    Napoli 1-0 Cesena 1 assist
    Napoli 5-3 Juventus 1 assist
    Napoli 4-1 AC Milan 1 assist
    Napoli 4-0 Lecce 3 assists/one is indirect
    Napoli 1-1 Roma 1 assist
    Napoli 4-1 Torino 1 assist

Note: I have scratched out the assist that I mentioned about Napoli 1-0 Atalanta since I checked that Diego used his hand. He deflected a shot with his hand and the ball went to his teammate that scored. The whole Atalanta team was furious as this was done in the last minute of the match. In any event, it won them the game. But should hand assists be counted ? Don’t think so.

89/90 Maradona Serie A season assists:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvFljSbNpQ0"]Maradona 89/90 assists in Serie A - YouTube[/ame]

89/90 16 assists
    Napoli 3-2 Fiorentina 1 assist
    Napoli 3-0 AC Milan 2 assists
    Napoli 3-2 Lecce 3 assists
    Napoli 1-1 Bari 1 assist
    Napoli 2-0 Bologna 2 assists
    Napoli 1-0 Ascoli 1 assist
    Napoli 2-0 Verona 1 assist
    Napoli 3-1 Juventus 1 assist
    Napoli 3-0 Bari 1 assist
    Napoli 4-2 Bologna 1 assist
    Napoli 1-0 Lazio 1 assist

90/91 Diego assists in Serie A:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NaNBy9avek"]Maradona assists 90-91 in Serie A - YouTube[/ame]

Napoli 2-1 Pisa 1 assist
    Napoli 1-0 Bari 1 assist

Here’s the 92/93 Sevilla assists from Diego: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T7nJvqT01Q"]Maradona assists at Sevilla 92-93 - YouTube[/ame]

92/93 13 assists
    Sevilla 3-1 Bayern Munich 1 assist
    Sevilla 1-1 Oviedo 1 assist
    Sevilla 3-2 Rayo Vallecano 1 assist
    Sevilla 2-1 Celta 1 assist
    Sevilla 2-0 Burgos 2 assists
    Sevilla 2-1 Albacete 1 assist
    Sevilla 2-2 Valencia 2 assists
    Sevilla 3-1 Athletic de Bilbao 1 assist
    Sevilla 1-1 Espanol 1 assist
    Sevilla 3-1 Real Sociedad 1 assist
    Sevilla 1-2 Porto 1 assist

Now for historical purposes, these videos will be a source for reference, and I will continue to upload further images of different players once I get the chance.

Next will be Udinese in Serie A 83/84 with Zico.

17. Gregoire

Gregoire Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Oh,thanks,I found it now;) Very good job!

18. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Excellent work Vegan. Can't wait to see more! Thank you very much, you win the internets.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Great work indeed. I think that the highlights did not show much of what happened before the assist, isn't it?

20. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks to all the feedback.

Yeah, the highlights concentrated mostly on the finalization of the play, that’s how most of the programs broadcasted them. However, I own some of these matches in full.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That's pitty, you cannot see the movement prior to the goal etc.

Great work!

22. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Awesome videos. Unbelievable how many tipes of passes he could execute and all of them with extreme accuracy.

23. Gregoire

Gregoire Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What book? Does in this book said about other old greats and their penatly conversion ratio? Pele,Eusebio,DS,Puskas?

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The book is essentially a shortened version of the 500 pages biography of Cruyff (in Dutch). I'm pity I did not bought the full version when it was published because now used versions costs over 100 euro's or so.

25. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1. Pele
    2. Maradona
    3. Ronaldo
    4. Zico
    5. Cruyff

Interesting video on Pele vs Maradona.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfye-hcIlg&feature=related"]Pele vs Maradona - YouTube[/ame]

... and the doctor, Socrates that is, has spoken!!!