Pele vs Johnny Haynes 1962 Soccer Jersey

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by rpaton, Sep 25, 2006.

1. rpaton

rpaton New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Can you advise? I have a Brazil soccer jersey from 1962 (i think). My late uncle Johnny Haynes swapped jerseys with Pele after a match in which Johnny was captaining England against Brazil in 1962, but it was NOT in the world cup. Could someone advise me when England played Brazil outside the world cup in '62? I also have an England cap from Brazil vs England 1962 which i assume was from the same game? Appreciate the advice!

2. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Pele and Johnny Haynes 1962 Soccer Jersey Swap.

I have consulted my resources and cross-reference it. And this is the result:

• Brazil * at Vina del Mar 1-3 to Brazil, 10 June 1962.

(Pele did not play, target and injured in 1st WC game and watched the whole WC from the bench. Also your uncle's last match appearance and only captain appearance againest Brazil)

• Brazil at Rio 0-2 to Brazil, 13 May 1959.

(Pele played the friendly, but did not score a goal againest England. Very possible, but your uncle was not Captain then and so it count againest it, but your uncle does wear the same number)

• Brazil at Gothenburg 0-0 draw, 11 June 1958.

(Pele did not play as he was presumely injured but players persuded the coach to make his WC debut (as well as Zito and Garrincha) in the next match againest USSR. It is unlikely that it would be this game as Pele was a relatively unknown although his jersey would still be number 10 on the bench.)

• Brazil at Wembley 4-2, 09 May 1956.

(Pele did not play, Pele debut for Brazil in 1957 as a 16 year old. Therefore not possible)

Johnny Haynes played Brazil four times. Played againest Pele once on the field and Pele was at three of the Brazil games againest England but was bench twice. Johnny captained in the last two years from 1960-1962 and so there was only one appearance againest Brazil as captain.

My educated guess would be that the England vs Brazil 1962 cap as well as the jersey came from that one game in the World Cup 1962.

Since your late uncle was the Captain, he would have the first rights to pick whom he would exchange his jersey and therefore he chosen Pele's jersey despite not actually playing againest him in the World Cup game as Pele was injured from Brazil's first WC game againest Czechoslovakia in a group match.

No doubt, he would have known Pele's quality having faced him in 1959 game. So he chosen Pele's jersey, despite Pele being injured. Amarildo played instead of Pele but he would have worn the Brazilian number 20 jersey not Brazilian number 10 jersey. Your uncle would have worn the English number 10 jersey. Therefore that would have been another right for your uncle in a straight number jersey swap.:)

The other

FIFA match report 1962 FIFA World Cup Chile; Quarter-finals Brazil vs England, 10-Jun-1962, Venue: VINA DEL MAR, Stadium: Sausalito, Kick off at 02:30 PM, Attendence:17736

I hope that was useful to you.

I think your best bet for information is to talk to Sir Bobby Robson, he was at all three Pele games. Since he is a close friend and player with your uncle then he would have a very good recall if your uncle indeed exchange the jersey with Pele. No doubt it would be the evvy of the other players in the team and very rememberable. I know that Sir Bobby Robson is recovering in his health, so a good visit about the old days with your uncle might cheer him up.

Do I get a prize? Could you send a photo collection of the Jersey and Cap to me by Email? Just look up my profile. I'll be very interested at looking at it.
    (if it's over 1mb attachment, then I will send you another email address)

:cool:

Hang loose

BTW Sorry for the lost last year but you must be very close to him. Private message me if you like.