Pele doesn't think Brazil a favorite at World Cup.

Discussion in 'Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon' started by Elder Statesman, Apr 12, 2014.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Pele did not think Brazil would win WC2002
    Pele thought Brazil 06 would win WC

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pele Curse is the equivalent of the Madden Curse in the USA

3. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I'd actually agree with him. The weight of expectation may way too heavily on the young shoulders. Argentina or Germany for me. With Spain still a possible.

4. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As we say in Brazil, when Pelé doesn't open his mouth, he is a poet.

magisterlucius and jerrito repped this.
  5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If Brazil loses, I think it will have to be against Germany in the semi-finals. I can't see them losing the Final in Maracana.

Perhaps against Spain in the 2nd round, if Spain stumbles in their group play.

6. bethelper

bethelper New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Internet
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'll have to go with him on this one - Brazil is a strong side, but not so strong so far when compared to the likes of Spain, Germany or even with the tenacity and the legendary luck of Italy. Nevertheless, you cannot dismiss them just yet - wait and see the final 23 lists for all the big names at least.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    3 to 0.
    4 to 2.
    last time they met in Brazil.

strong enough against both, Spain and Italy....
    :rolleyes:

Century's Best repped this.
  8. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's France, Netherlands, and Argentina that Brazil has to worry about.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    How about, ......Chile ..... ?,

never mind, don`t answer this one.
    :p

10. bet-helper

bet-helper New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Chile has the potential to be a pleasant surprise and we look forward to seeing them perform against the Dutch and against Spain. Australia is going to be fair game for everybody else in Group B, there is almost no doubt about it. Personally I wouldn't dismiss the Chileans by default, but a little bit of luck is needed for them to get out of the group.

11. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    You think this Dutch team is stronger than Spain???

12. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It will probably be the most balanced World Cup of all-time and Brazil is not better enough than the likes of Germany, Spain or Argentina to be considered the clear favorite. Actually, I can't see a clear favorite team for this WC.

A lot of people think that Brazil may have a slight advantage over Spain, Germany and Argentina because of the home factor, but they forget that, at the same time, this factor also puts tons of rocks on Brazil's shoulders. The same crowd that will support the team is the one that will get nervous if Brazil can't score after 20 or 25 minutes. Definitely, it's not going to be a walk in the park for Brazil. Whoever thinks it is clearly isn't getting the whole picture and is forgetting how tough a WC can be, even at home. We are talking about elite teams, elite players, the football's crème de la crème, and a competition of this high level never can be safely predicted.

That said, I will be surprised if Brazil doesn't reach the semifinals.

13. Claudio

Claudio New Member

May 3, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This might be true. Especially because the team is full of young players. But if the can overcome it, we might well be looking at a repeat of the Confederations Cup.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Pelé never thinks we're favorites.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not really ...
    Pele said Brazil2002 won't be doing good ... they WON
    Pele said Brazil2006 were like Brazil 70 and they LOST

16. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I guess Brazil won't be hiring Pele as coach anytime soon.
    On the other hand, the Brazilian fans must be breathing a sigh of relief over his prediction.

jerrito repped this.
  17. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    If brazil win, they will truly deserve it, I worked out the bracket back in december, and it's nothing but strong teams to the final. Perhaps that easy group stage might turn out to be a curse.

18. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    I don't understand, Brazil is at home and has a talented group of young players. I think they are one of the teams to beat to be honest. Along with Spain and Germany

19. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    I really like Chile to be honest but yeah their chances of winning it all well I'll do you that favor and not answer lol

20. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Well this is not our strongest team like 2006 or 1998 in terms of talent. Plus it is a pretty young team. It is a much better team then the 2010 team but in terms of talent it is not that great. 2006 was our deepest and best team on paper but it got nowhere.

21. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    home field advantage though, even England won a world cup with home field advantage.

22. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Home field advantage doesn't seem to be what it used to be. The home side won 5 of the first 11 World Cups, but has since lost 7 of the last 8. Of course, Brazil isn't just any home team.

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    This has happened more frequently lately basicly due to the fact that teams who have hosted more recently, weren't precisely among the greatest candidates to win it. For some hosts, they weren't even among the top 10-20 teams at the time they hosted it (Mexico, USA, Japan-South Korea, South Africa), so their real chances of actually winning the WC were very low. What is undenniable, except for South Africa, is that home teams almost always achieve a good performance in the WC, and in some cases their very best historic WC performance.

jerrito repped this.
  24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    South Africa may not have progressed from the group, but they actually performed above expectations - out on goal difference and with 4 points in a tough group.

Rickdog repped this.