Peguero traded.

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bana2166, Apr 21, 2006.

1. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Breaking News Update:NYRed Bulls all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero

Excerpt of Today NorthJersey.com News Article

[​IMG]

De Grandpre has spent more than seven years with Red Bull North America as Director of Field Marketing. The press release announcing his appointment did not list any soccer management experience for the 32-year-old.

Red Bull is expected to name the director of soccer operations soon, and former Cosmos goalkeeper and current television commentator Shep Messing has been linked as a candidate for the position. According to sources within MLS, former Cosmos star Giorgio Chinaglia is not a candidate for the position. Chinaglia had been linked in recent weeks to a high-level position with the club.

Thursday's announcements mean Johnston will be on the sideline Saturday, but it does not guarantee his future with the club much beyond that. The team's new director of soccer operations will have the authority to replace Johnston unless they choose to retain him.

Johnston's future with the club was in serious doubt after Red Bull officials blocked a trade Johnston thought he had completed with Colorado Rapids on Wednesday. The Red Bulls were set to acquire Haitian forward Jean-Philippe Peguero from the Rapids for Brazilian reserve forward Thiago Martins, but Red Bull blocked the deal. It is unclear whether the teams will re-open talks once a director of soccer operations is named.

"We had done a trade but it was pulled from us at the last minute," said Johnston. "I don't think it can get done now and it was done before Red Bull pulled the plug."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...cWVlRUV5eTY =

2. mikebob

mikebob Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: NYRed Bulls were all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero from Rapids........until...

Well, now that was a very interesting read (and development)!

So, now we know that Clavijo wants to get rid of Peguero, which I guess is not a terrible thing considering Beckerman and Kirovski are our goal scorers so far :eek:

It will be interesting to see what happens with him (Peguero) now.

Mike

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Re: NYRed Bulls were all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero from Rapids........unti

Thank God for Red Bull!!! They're even improving the Rapids!

4. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Re: NYRed Bulls were all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero from Rapids........unti

How is that GoRapids? ... when the deal did not go thru!
    New Red Bulls management block the deal ...

5. adambauer

adambauer New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Johnstown

You guys can't be serious in wanting to get rid of Pedro for Martins. That trade is just giving KSE more salary room so they can market the Mammoth more efficiently.

6. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

I'm not sold on trading Peguero. He's our only real post-up forward who can knock down the inevitable long balls out of the back. Some fans seem to think he is a speedy forward and should chase down ridiculous passes and such, but his play is much more physical than fast. I don't see Kirovski Houdini or either of our skinny teenagers filling that role. Maybe if Hernandez is moved back up top, he will have that physical presense, but I'm not too optimistic about it. Q

7. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

Bigapplesoccer.com is reporting the deal is back on

IN AGREEMENT :Red Bulls agree to deal Martin to Rapids for Peguero; league must approve it

April 21, 2006
    By Michael Lewis
    BigAppleSoccer.com Editor

The New York Red Bulls have agreed to trade forward Thiago Martins to the Colorado Rapids for Haitian international forward Jean Philippe (Pedro) Peguero, according to knowledgeable MLS sources.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/articl...rticle_id=5877

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington

I talked with Clavijo after last year's defeat over FC Dallas in the playoffs..

I got the impression he appreciates a harder worker like Martins over the questionable work ethic of JPP..

We'll see..

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This almost sounds like a Vince Carter type trade (who completely stopped playing or even caring that he was on the floor for the Toronto Raptors before being traded to the New Jersey Nets). Peguero has stopped trying and he needs a change of scenery. It wouldn't surprise me if he did well in New York, only because he'll just start trying again (and getting good service from the likes of Djorkaeff).

I don't know what Martins brings to the table, although effort sounds like one of his qualities, which may or may not make him comparable to Eric Denton.

Either way, I'll take a guy who works his butt off vs. a player with occassional flashes of brilliance but who normally can't be distinguished from a orange cone. Pedro, hasta luego (not sure what the translation would be in creole.)

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Yup - they helped blocking the deal.

But now it's back on again - and we get another crappy player.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Breaking News Update:NYRed Bulls all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero

This would make Martins' fourth team in about a season and a half of MLS action (DCU, CDCUSA, NYRB, and Rapids). He's like Cornell Glen in that way. My main observation about Thiago is that he, too, requires the right service and does not "create" on his own.

12. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality

CAP SPACE PLEASE.....Hasten Pedro out the door and loan Martins out to a Jamaican club....I want a real goal scorer....Maybe that Cunningham kid:cool:

13. mikebob

mikebob Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Denver, Colorado

Well, I don't know much of anything about Martins, but I do know the Rapids history well enough to figure this sucks either way.

I guess we'll see soon enough. Maybe he will be a magic "click" player and the team will miraculously come together and start playing some truly brilliant ball. Alright, maybe not :D

Mike

14. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Vince Carter got traded? Man, I'm not keeping up with hoops well at all.

Who else will be left from pre-Clavijo days? The turnover makes it difficult to really be a huge fan. I was momentarily optimistic that we were getting Chicago's Thiago, but no such luck. Q

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm ok with Pedro moving on. In his first season he worked hard...he scored goals, he was impressive. Now he is the new '05 Jovan. Give him a change of scenery. I just hope him leaving town doesn't throw Fabrice off because he'll be losing a fellow hatian sensation.

16. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

I agree. Pedro is a flake and when you put him on the field you don't know if he's going to score goals or try to play volleyball. And it's not like the Rapids don't have forwards to replace him--Fabrice is already making a contribution and Jacob Peterson is the same type of bigger, speedy forward but with brains. The only thing that bothers me about this deal is Thiago Martins. He appears to be yet another foreign dud signed to a no-cut contract that the Bulls can't get rid of. Go park him someplace else like maybe LA. I'd rather have draft choices.

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Exactly!!!!! It's not about getting rid of Pedro as much as gaining another Pile of Poo!!!

18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's just the downside of our system. It'd be nice if we could just sell Pedro, and walk away with cash. The whole trading of players, picks, and allocations sucks.

19. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO

maybe they can throw in Jordan Cila in the move.....

ok I'll leave now

20. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

He's not a foreign dud. He played college soccer in California, then played for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds in USL, and was picked up by DC at the end of the 2003 season. I'd be more concerned about his past knee injury than his citizenship, but he's still a serviceable forward.

21. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

Well, even if Thiago's in a wheelchair, the latest news is that we also got 1st & 3rd 2007 picks for the volleyball player and if he plays well, the 3rd will become a 2nd. That sounds like a great deal to me and Martins is more than welcome to contribute by holding down the bench until his contract is up.

22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd gladly take a couple high draft picks for Pedro.

23. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO

I am happy for with the pick up of the draft picks.

Sad for Pedro but Fabrice is a star and I think peterson can get some good playing time

BTW

is our starting two up front now Jovan and Fabrice with Clint in the attacking midfielder role???

24. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont

http://www.coloradorapids.com/News/newsdetails.asp?ID=1743

It's official. I don't know what to think. I liked Pedro more then some on this board and thought he brought something to the team (heading, holding the ball). Not a lot this year so far though. I know nothing about Martins.

With three goals and one assist in 2100+ minutes last year it's hard to believe FC is bringing him in to start, but if not, who will?

With Clint returning, I'm guessing Jovan and Fabrice get the start next week.

25. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peguero for Thiago Martins and a couple of picks. Thoughts?