Peace Queen Cup roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tauri, Jun 3, 2008.

1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I understand that, but a byproduct of his system was the fact that the defenders had as many assists as the midfielders. Its a byproduct of a system that bypassed the midfield and placed little value in possession. Its not a system of play I enjoy watching, but it worked until we got to the world cup. I only made the point because Lloyd's assist to games played ratio has skyrocketed under Pia and Wagner had a pretty good assists to games played ratio under Ryan. In Pia's system the attacking center mids also become playmakers.

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    for two reasons.
    1)most throws into the box, and set pieces beyond a certain distance were usually taken by 1 defender - whitehill.
    2)the person they tended to pass the ball to, the playmaker on the team (lil) the one with the most assists (in 2007) was listed as a forward in a 4-3-3.

they tried as much as possible to get the ball to their most experienced player and creator kristine lilly. and it is not true that they placed little value on posession. they didn't emphasize it as much as pia now does, but i remember very early in ryan's reign that even after they won they would place the emphasis on even more posession. i remember seeing games in which they passed the ball around beautifully. it's just that that was not what they hanged their hat on.

i much prefer watching the passing game too. but there is no quota system of passes in soccer. the idea is to be effective in putting the ball in the back of the net. when we got to the world cup north korea's and brazil's speed, quickness and skill prevented us from playing our game as well as we would like. but it might have prevented us from playing pia's passing game as well. china (with pia as asst. coach) played a very good passing game in the wc. but it was not as effective as they would have liked it to be.

now, this is not to say that pia's system will not succeed. in fact, i hope it does. i'm just saying that i'd like to see it against quick, skillful teams before i make any meaningful judgements about it.

different system.

better? to look at yes. to win championships? i hope so.

lloyd's improvement is also partially a function of her normal growth and development as a player.

btw, in '07 loyd was still being integrated into the team. wagner was always a better passer. if wagner was healthy and had improved her defense the way lloyd had to do, lloyd might not be where she is today, and the ball would have been passed to wagner a lot more. she is a much better passer than lloyd is.

3. peacecup

peacecup New Member

Jun 10, 2008
  4. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Peace queen cup, thank you so much. I think your website is fantastic. By far the best tournament site I have seen. I have a question. Do you know what the tv shedule is for the peace queen cup? we see that it will be on MBC ESPN but we do not know the times they will air on tv.

thanks

ps

you guys here is all the videos together
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hongvee

they also have a lot of great pics of the us team as well. Even Riley (who is getting so big)

5. peacecup

peacecup New Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Sure, I will update TV-schedule immediately, you can see it until tommorrow. Thank you! :D

6. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Dear Peace Cup,

Thanks so much for these links. Good luck on your tournament. I hope you have good weather and large crowds. I visited Korea in 2001, before the men's World Cup, and was impressed with the facilities and also the friendliness of the Korean soccer fans.
    Sincerely,

gogogo

7. VaBch757

VaBch757 New Member

Oct 7, 2007
  8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    PeaceCup thanks for the sweet hookups!

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    peacecup, you are an answer to the collective prayers of this board. thanx a million.

10. C Henri

C Henri New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Maryland
  11. WhatsBruin

WhatsBruin Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Peace Queen Cup on the Internet

I saw the Korea NZ game on the Internet last night at http://live.pandora.tv/

You need to download some free software so get set up now!

12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Re: Peace Queen Cup on the Internet

Pandora too is only for PC users. Where are my Mac people at?
    I know some of you must be hip and cool.

13. soccernerd

soccernerd New Member

Jun 14, 2008

i can't ge the pandora tv to work. any other places to see it online.
    Thanks

14. danigirl9

danigirl9 New Member

May 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence

Yeah, it's not working for me either. It freezes everytime I try to download it.

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

:whistles:

Can y'all take this discussion to the TV viewing thread that's stickied at the top? That way nothing gets buried in general discussion threads.

Thanks!

16. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America

Well deserved title of champions. Still number 1. Great goal by Huckles.
    Observing the post game tv coverage, ceremonies, etc. is it me or the players still shun Hope Solo? They were all talking and laughing with each other, except no one did so with Solo, except for one player who touched her shoulder. It was embarrasing seen this, I feel for her. Solo kept the team on the game but the team kept away from their keeper.

17. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California

I didn't even notice that.. sad if is still happenning.. :(

18. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida

I saw a bunch of high fives and hugs for Solo from almost all the players when the game ended. Lots of laughs, as well.

19. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny

I think that trip up north in Sweden made a great goalie of Solo, cause she was up against some great competition from the opponent teams... seem like all the top players from other countries are playing there rather than in Germany...