Peace Cup in South Korea

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jonny63, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dk one

dk one New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I can't imagine the US will have any problems beating Denmark as 8 of the 11 starters against Finland one month ago will not be going to Korea due to club commitments. 7 players will play for Brøndby in the UEFA ½ final against Arsenal and captain Kathrine Pedersen will play in Sweden to help her club finish 2nd in the league. Too bad for the team and the tournament... but good luck to Brøndby :)

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, a Sharapova comparison would have been more apt. Kournikova hasn't won anything of note.

But I do not like to see a spotlight on any woman from a team for her looks. It does not help the team cohesion.

3. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Well said Lockjaw. that the way I have always seen this Mitts business.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What does Mitt's looks have to do with team cohesion? I would assume the website is Korean created and for promotional purposes they chose a good looking women soccer player to put on the marquee. What's wrong with that?
    Her teamates should be happy that she is getting attention and that means attention to them. This may sound chauvanistic but I see nothing wrong with the appreciation of women in sports and beauty. It's an ages old argument. If Sharapova wasn't beautiful, she would never get near the endorsements that she does. As I always say, it's all good. Mitt's getting attention, and for that matter a few others on this team, for their looks, IMO is only a positive thing for the growth in popularity of women's soccer.

5. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Why should beauty be prefer and not brain. does it make those who have it better prepare to solve the problems in life. it only that man as a whole are idi@ts. I have never in my life seen other women in a group benefitting from a beautiful woman among them.... I don't want to go in a social discussion on this subject. the administrator would not have like me to lecture anyone.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Look, we're not talking the corporate world here, we are talking pro sports where the object is to sell the game. Trust me, a high level women's pro league will not survive if it is not sold to a male audience one way or another or both. I'm not talking sleeze here. Soccer dads are one thing but just getting a few soccer dads out there is not going to do it. I don't know how many time I've been to a women's NATS game and the guy sitting next to me couldn't name 2 players on the team. He's just there because of his daughter. But many men do know that Heather Mitts was voted Hottest Female Athlete by Sports Illustrated for 2004. When the Chicago Bandits pro softball team and the league were formed, it was no coincidence that they used Jenny Finch upfront and center to promote the game and team. Her face was on TV, in the newspapers, etc.

7. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    where is the sofeball league now. is it still around!!!!

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't blame that on Jenny Finch's looks and the cohesiveness of the team.

9. DJChickenpox

DJChickenpox New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    i think noorwell's point was more that the type of marketing you described didn't work then (as opposed to "blaming" it for the failure), so why should one try it now ? especially when it's pretty degrading?

maybe you don't understand how insulting it is because you're not a woman?

10. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Thanks!! that the point I was trying to make... you put it in better perspective then me...

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Look, I understand your point. We could go round and round with this. I'm just trying to give a perspective, granted from a male point of view and I'm not saying all men will agree with me, why they would put Heather Mitts next to Lilly as one of the "best players" when they could or should have put Abbey, Kate, or maybe even Cat. I'm just saying beauty sells, that's just the way it is, and I see nothing wrong with it. I don't think Sharapova, Mitts or Finch would think it's degrading to be thought of as a good athlete and a "hottie" at the same time.

12. shreddir

shreddir Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Alright..., let's get back on topic here. Eurosport audio portion of their TV coverage will streamed tommorow on their live audio link when they cover group B -our group. The commentators covering the Italy-Canada match were gabbing about whether North Korea were going to unleash some of their U-20 championship girls who kicked both Germanys and China's butts a few weeks ago. I thought that N. Korea pulled out. Did they change their minds? If so, our girls better not take them lightly.

Whoops correction, the USA Denmark match is being shown on Eurosport TV channel 2. Since the internet audio is tuned to the primary TV channel 1 you'll be hearing some rally car race instead. So we're stuck with crap USSUCC gametracker unless one of you can discover some Chinese TV peer to peer P2P video link like we used to watch some WNT matches last year?

13. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    I've been working on it. MBC is broadcasting them and if I could read Korean I might be able to figure it out. So far no luck.

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about semi-skill? She one of the most talented players on the team. The only negative thing is that she's a defender so she doesn't get much time at the highlight reels. Other than that, anyone can see her work ethic and skill are enough to easily say that she's one of the better players on the team.

15. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Do we even get that? There is nothing on USsoccer that says anything about matchtracker and usually they have something mentioning it long before the day of the match..

Or is "USSUCC" something I've never heard of? If so can someone post a link? ;)

16. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Most talented player like giving away the the ball numberless times. she can't even run the the flank. she can't serve the ball up front. the only thing she got is a lot of confidence in herself.

17. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    That's a good point. There's nothing in the pre-game release about it. Looks like we'll have to rely on people with Eurosport for updates.

18. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  19. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Well if you know MBC is broadcasting the games live then there should be no problem. The Squid TV site has a list of the MBC stations and instructions for the video streams. But the games are at some ridiculous time in the morning so someone would have to record the streams and make them available.

20. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    I'm not smart enough to figure out how to register in Korean.

21. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    I just made a post over on the International forum about this.

Since I'm on the west coast, I'm hoping to be able to capture these, though the Canada game might be a little tough because of work.

22. IluvKai2006

IluvKai2006 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    California
    anyne have any updates yet on where we can watch the match? on ussoccer.com the countdown marks 29 mins. til' the match starts.

23. reddickfoudyfan86

reddickfoudyfan86 New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    State College-school
    Right now ussoccer say 0 mins but no game tracker. And every link I could find from here and through other forums, it doesn't work or is in another language or is a Peace Queen Cup commercial in another language. So if anybody can hear/see the game I am eagerly waiting any kind of updates. :D

24. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's not even a game tracker on ussoccer? Even the U20s had that for Russia. FSC or ESPN should've broadcast this rather than some cheap paintball reruns. :mad:

25. reddickfoudyfan86

reddickfoudyfan86 New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    State College-school
    Haha yeah I just saw that too. My apartment at school gets us all the ESPNs (except of course the Spanish one which always has soccer) plus the NFL and FSN channels so you would think there would be a chance. But the dorms get the soccer channel and all the foreign language channels that air soccer games. Unless ussoccer is hiding it, I still don't see a tracker. This sucks >:O