Peace Corps?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by ERobens, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ERobens

ERobens Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Providence, RI
    Has anyone here on BigSoccer served in the Peace Corps? I'm looking into applying early next year and interested in the agriculture and water & sanitation fields. Also I was wondering how good is the medical system for volunteers? The website says its great, but I was hoping for some firsthand opinions from former volunteers or friends of volunteers. It looks like an amazing opportunity and I'm really considering joining.

Also, since I'm fluent in Portuguese it seems like I may get to serve in one of the ex-Portuguese colonies (Cape Verde, Mozambique, East Timor), so if anyone has advice on those countries, that would be great too. Actually, any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

EDIT: I know it's not really travel, but it doesn't fit anywhere else on these boards.

2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Hey, just noticed this thread...

Yeah, I was in Morocco from '95-97 and loved it. If you're even considering it, I'd say definitely do it. It's just about the perfect mix of camp-like fun, serious giving back, and exciting adventure that I can imagine. For two straight years, non-stop. The medical service was excellent, IMO. If anyone gets really sick, they medivac you to D.C.

Anyway, my advice is simply Do It.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My little sister just joined up for a 2 year gig in the Ukraine. She's been over there for 2 months now.

She says its worse than she imagined and better than she imagined. And she wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't, but a friend of mine did and parlayed that experience into an exciting, adventure-filled career.

Peace Corps service in Central America, followed by jobs with AID, followed by being director of the Eastern Caribbean services for the Peace Corp and based in Barbados. Assorted other international assignments for agencies whose names escape me have followed. He's currently in Mozambique.