PDL Article

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by k1v1n, Apr 1, 2003.

1. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
  2. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    GOOD

Nice article, it speaks the truth. Any player who wants to maximize their potential for either their college team or those with pro aspirations just can't pass up the PDL situation.

3. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Do MLS coaches scout PDL games?

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that they do some what. I've seen some coaches (mostly assistants) at some PDL games in the Chicago area and on the road. I think some of it depends if there are PDL teams near the MLS teams.

5. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure they do, at least games in their city. I've seen Sigi Schmid at local PDL, D3, and A-League games in the past. He may not have been going specifically to scout, but I'm sure he was watching.

Here's another one for you - though not definitive. It's speculation on my part and someone elses that I've spoken to.

Tim Regan played for Chicago Fire Reserves in 2002.

Bob Bradley was still the coach for Chicago Fire in 2002.

MetroStars traded to Columbus, in exchange for the 2003 17th pick, Nelson Akwari and a 2004 2nd Round draft pick. The trade happened right before Columbus was due to draft 17th - Chicago called a timeout to finish working the trade.

With the 17th pick, MetroStars selected Tim Regan.

MetroStars gave up one U-23 International - Akwari - and another future player (the 2004 draft pick) for an uncapped college player.

Tim Regan did play for a Illinois college and is a Chicago area product, so it's not like he was an unknown to Bob Bradley. But I've also heard that Bradley really wanted him in part after his play in the PDL.

BTW, Chicago (Peter Wilt) had the very next pick and wanted Regan too.

6. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Thanks for that Preston North End. The nearest MLS team is 4 hours away from us...and that team is DC United. I'll keep an eye out for any DC folks this summer.