PDA Reccomendations Revived

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chicago1871, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As many before me, I am in the market for a PDA. Palm is the obvious choice, and the fact that the Blackberry is too wired for my needs rules it out. I am curious what experiences people have with various PDAs and what they might reccomend. At this point I am looking for an upper echelon device when it comes to price, but nothing overly expensive. Preferably under $400.

As of today I did a little research on the present models Palm has available and I am leaning towards the Tungsten T2.

I am by no means looking exclusively for a Palm, but that just happens to be where I have looked at this point. Any reccomendations on other devices are very welcome.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just recently bought a Dell Axim X5 and the thing is wonderful. It's got the latest edition of M$ Windows Pocket Edition. It's also got a lot of storage space and expansion slots.

It's something I'd definitiely recommend.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I have a Sony Clie and I love it. It's a $150 model (can't remember the name) and after doing some hard core research, I concluded that the performance, size, design, battery performance and overall product quality were all significantly better than anything Palm offered at the same price.

I just use my PDA to hold my contacts and run Vindigo (which is a lifesaver if you live in a city) so I'm not too demanding. One thing I do wish I had was Bluetooth. Synching would be so much easier if I didn't have to mess with the cable.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got a Palm Tungsten T3 last month to replace my aging Palm Vx. I like PalmOS and do not like Windows CE so I only considered Palm-based options.

The T3 is pretty sweet. Way more PDA power than I need (hell, the Palm Vx was more than I needed for addresses, notes, shopping list). The color screen is very nice compared to the old monochrome I'm used to, and the sliding action on the screen is cool -- at some point there will be applications which actually take advantage of the larger screen size on the T3 but for now it's not actually useful, just cool.

My fiancee has a Palm Zire 71 (the one with the built-in digital camera) which she is enjoying. She is actually using it as opposed to the Toshiba CE-based thing that she originally got for work.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff so far. Thanks. My research into other brands and models have led me to pretty much conclude that Palm has the best bang for my buck. Palm comes with a ton of software and more upgrade/service features than other models. However, HP has several very nice handhelds.

Palm Tungsten T2 is still my choice.

Thanks again.