PC Version of Huckleberry Finn? &*&$#*@(!!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chris M., Jan 5, 2011.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Mark Twain wrote that "the difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter." A new edition of "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer" will try to find out if that holds true by replacing the N-word with "slave" in an effort not to offend readers.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40917583/ns/today-books/

God, this pisses me off. If people can't understand and teachers can't teach the context in which a book was written, then they should just not use it in their teaching. ************ Jim is an incredibly vibrant and important character in the history of American literature. In addition, they changed "Injun' Joe" to "Indian Joe" and "half breed" to "half blood."

Yet Twain was particular about his words. His letter in 1888 about the right word and the almost right one was "the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."

Indeed Sir.

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to be able to hear what Twain would think of this. Good Christ almighty!

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be like watching 'Blazing Saddles' edited for TV.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is he buried? If we could attach magnets to his body, the power generated by its spinning could power a nearby city.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    When I posted this, I had not watched the video that appears in the link. Watch it for two reasons:

1. It's an interview with Melissa Harris-Perry. She always gives a tremendously interesting view on any issues of race. Here, she talks about how the replacement word "slave" has its own issues, particularly in the context of the relationship that Twain created between Huck Finn and ************ Jim. (I'm going to keep typing the correct name, BS censor be damned!) She pretty much nails everything I wanted to say on this.

2. It's kind of hilarious because at the end of the interview, Olbermann, in his usual pompous tone, says, "it's been 29 days since the agreement to extend tax breaks for the rich. Mr. Boehner, where are the jobs?" the night before very good jobs news breaks. :D I'm not giving republican any jobs credit, but its always funny to see something blow back in the face of Olbermann.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    "'Scuse me while I [carefully remove this piece of paper from the front of my pants]."

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    By the way of personal anecdote, I read Huck Finn as an assignment at my Catholic High School. The word "************" had long since been denounced, although was still in use in my little corner of Kansas. My Basic Lit teacher did an excellent job of dealing with the time period, the language and the relationship between the characters.

For me, the book was a major revelation on racial issues, and yes, on the word "************." I guess that is why this pisses me off so much.

8. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All this time I thought that was a Jimmy Buffet line......

edit

And I agree with you that this is BS.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks Harry Potter!

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a fruitcake.

11. Bochum Danno

Bochum Danno Red Card

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    VfL Bochum
    Censoring the work isn't cool, but there are places in the country where the context is not dealt with as a negative. "Can't" teach the context was never the issue in my HS AP English class- it was that the teacher didn't want (and didn't have) to deal with the context. She went out of her way to select literature that contained slurs and illustrated divisive actions without any judgement on the part of the authors, and not once did she use anything from the standpoint of slaves or former slaves or the segregated population. It was almost as tho she put it out there specifically to point out to us that "there is a difference between you and the three black students in this class. Look at them when you see this word. They are ************ Jim". The teacher in question has her Belle credentials all lined up, if you get my drift. I'm sure she isn't alone in that regard.

A teacher or a school with free reign not only to select certain Southern material but to ignore certain other the (equally) Southern material that accurately portrays the horror of the slave trade and Jim Crow might be a factor here. I'm not at all convinced that HS students can properly judge the era on their own, particularly when parents with Confedeate sympathies are involved.

12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a comic book some time back where the word "************" was substituted with "noogie". It started off with an intro where the characters broke the fourth wall to let everyone know that they weren't allowed to use the "f-word" or the "s-word" at all, and for some other words, nobody gave a crap how many damn assloads they used, but when it came to the n-word, the lawyers got a little skittish and wouldn't let them use it. The author of that comic was black, as was one of the main characters -- Quantum and Woody by Christopher Priest, if anyone was following Acclaim comics about a decade ago.

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happened to good old fashioned book banning?

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Burning is better.

16. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I led a sheltered life, but my kids are far more exposed to the N-word today than I was growing up.

This censorship is ridiculous.

17. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it”

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This ranks right up there with our Governor here in Virginia wanting to cover up the naked boobie on our flag. :D

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And Tupac too

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I recall how in the immediate aftermath of the Dutroux case, a statue of a naked ballerina near my home had been put on a sweater. :eek:

21. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I read that elsewhere today.

This whole thing is total bullshit.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this is sickening.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's comedy gold on Twitter though.

My favorite so far:

Snooki writes a book yet Huck Finn is being censored: literature is officially dead.

24. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
  25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    For a country that thrives on its exceptionalism and toughness, we sure are a bunch of ************** when people use bad words to make a point.