PC - Mac flamewar

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Foosinho, Dec 1, 2004.

1. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda sums it up right there. :rolleyes:

PH has done some of most ridiculous, ignorant, silly, inflamatory trolling I've seen. It's kind of entertaining and adds spice to the thread, but rather pathetic at the same time.

It amazes me how some people will staunchly defend Windows to the very end, when MS keeps screwing them over with draconian licensing and prices, keeps putting out bloated, buggy products, keeps spreading ridiculous FUD, and the users have to constantly fight viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, BSOD's, and total system crashes.

2. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    have you tried using kazaa on both?

I've found that kazaa pulls up much more stuff on a pc and has more options. I like Macs better than PC's for almost anything. Kazaa, to me, works better on PC's.

3. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    First off, why was a g4 running OS9? Anyway with OSX you can minimiza windows, in fact when you minimize it, a small version of the window appears on the tool bar at the bottom and you click on it to bring it back. You think arrangement of the windows was messy on OSX? I don't, but anyway you can add and delete and rearrange the icons you want on the toolbar at the bottom (or side depending on where you put it) of the screen.

As for the mouse with no right click (mentioned earlier) , on a mac you just hit control I and it is the same thing.

It seems most of the bashing of macs that people do here is people who just don't know how to use macs.

Oh and Premium Hamatachi I enjoy your posts.

4. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the response Microwave and Skip.

Microwave..I think it was a G4. It was one of the "older" Apples that actually had a seperate CPU. I tried searching for G4 through google but the results had pictures of shiny ones..the one's I used had a body color that looks like small iMacs (I've either seen the small iMacs that aren't shiny or the larger one that is shiny).

I got to use the OS X again for a tiny bit. I did find it better than the previous OS versions. I love how the monitor displays the colors of the desktop...really nice. Things ran pretty fast. I didn't like that menu in the middle..kinda large, but I'm sure that's fixable. Overall, it looks good.

Jeff...I'm sorry man, but what you are claming about Windows is right there with people who whine about Macs even though they've never seen one in their lives. With XP, you don't get the BSOD. I don't fight with spyware. I don't have to. Limit yourself to good things and you'll be fine. The best way of getting spyware is through Kazaa..the most overrated P2P program. Gnutella network is the worse. Users are always downloading songs with an glass scattering screech that were added to the MP3 by I believe the RIAA. They take up almost your entire bandwidth. And it's the most looked at P2P program. Every piracy article mentions them. It's garbage.

5. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    EWWWWWW again.

See, I don't want anything in my house to be straight from Sci-Fi. I rather have something that fits the decor. And Apple's style has no equal. Their computers, their Mp3 players, even their CHARGERS, ELECTRICITY CONVERTORS, and WIRES, are pleasing to the the eye.

Now, that second computer case looks more like a nuclear reactor than a machine for checking your email. It's too ominous. Sorry.

6. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    Why use Kazaa? If you have a PC, use Soulseek.

7. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

yes Kazaa sucks but Kazaa Lite ++ is awesome. Kazaa Lite++ has some protection features in it.

I will say that if you download the right antivirus software then you can to a point where viruses don't matter so if you work a little at it, then that point becomes moot in the pc-mac debate.

I have owned a Sony Vaio laptop and I loved it. If I was a business owner I'd probably have Pc's in my office like some people have mentioned, because everyone used Microsoft.

However I do music and I do a little video and I like the way the programs run on my apple computers. There is also this new thing called "garage band" by apple that seems interesting (but not as cool as pro tools undoubtedly). I have a Imac g4 and a G3 powerbook, both are dual booting os9 and osx. I love em both.

Just to save Premium Hamatachi some work I will repond to this post myself for him.

Liar

8. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    well, I have tried them all and for obscure synthpop stuff I find it all on Kazaa and not on the others. Kazaa lite++ that is.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what he's going for. That big black space is going to be filled with a countdown timer, and he's going to add a keypad to set the countdown time. So, for example, you could bring the thing to a LAN party and have it count down until the end of the party. Dope.

And you only use your machine for checking email?

Anyway, here is something that might be a little more your speed:
    [​IMG]

Yes, that's a custom spectrum analyser on the front. W00t!

10. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Eh, I suppose one man's trash is another man's treasure. Depends on who you ask. I really like those tiny pc's that shuttle makes. They look like they could fit anywhere.

11. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

I want one!!

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I'm pretty sure Hamatachi is all an act. He's just trying to have fun by riling you guys up, and you're all taking the bait. Same thing in his "Mighty Japan" thread. All done for a laugh, nothing more.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't exactly detailed plans, but the production of that case was documented... here. Have at it!

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i didn't create that stupid thread. sneakyshady did it and he dumped all my posts from other threads in there. what a joke

15. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    No but you are a pro at adding stooooopid comments to threads, that's why you're my favorite.

16. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    LAN party? Umm... sorry, but that's not my idea of fun, and much less of a party. Rather spend my Friday nights otherwise. :p ;)

And I use my PC pretty much for the Internet (music, news, e-mail, instant messaging, this site) and for school work. I have a few games too, but haven't played in a while.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm pretty proud of that, actually. It's a one stop shop for all of Hamatachi's genius.

18. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    History will look kindly upon you...

19. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i forgot to tell you but i have been very serious from the very beginning but decided not to take them seriously anymore because they have no brain capacity or whatsoever to understand whatever i teach them. i'm a proud mcse and is going for my dba. i have devoted my body and my soul for microsoft and i will continue doing so. yeah eyah mcse is easy to attain... right. sure in good old nt time it sure was easy but not anymore unless you are braindumping. i know tons of stupid mcse winnt who claims, like jeffs, becoming mcse is such an easy path and never failed any of its mcp exams but failed a lot on their mcse 2003 path and started crying like a stupid baby. "microsoft is stealing our money by tricking us with those obscure questions!!" i had good laugh just looking at their face. "no, it's pretty much straightforward. you failed it because you are stupid" that's all i need to say to convince them. i know tons of stupid programmer like jeffs who claims knowing programing gives you an ultimate knowledge about everything related to pc but hey, we had a helpdesk guy who seems to know a lot about c++, basic or whatever but don't know ******** about directory service, dns, and dhcp. it was hell tough experience for the is department to teach this idiot how to make shortcut on desktop. he knows nothing when it comes to networking. he doesn't know what's private and public ips. that's really no-no even if you are just a helpdesk.

20. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    very well done.

very well done.

liar

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually a nice change of pace. Believe me, I did my share of drunken debauchery on the weekends at Ohio State, but for one stretch of about 3 months my PC lived at my friend's apartment. We'd play some QuakeIII, Warcraft, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter... good times.

22. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    keep this word in your mac dictionary

23. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    amazing stuff. truely astonishing

24. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I remember my friend was the first kid in his neighborhood to get ISDN installed at his house and we practically lived there playing quake online with other people. <snif> ah, the memories ;)

25. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the MCP questions are actually getting harder?

That's kudos for MS because they were previously flooding the market with MSCE's in order to get market saturation so companies would buy their products because there were so many MCSE's, because getting an MSCE was so easy to get. Smart business practice on MS's part. However, in the long run it's hurting them because of credibility. Companies aren't trusting MS products, nor are they putting much stock in MSCEs. So evidently MS is waking up to this and making the tests harder.

I don't mean to disparage people who have studied and taken the tests. Regardless of how easy the tests are, it takes time and money and some dedication. I've considerred getting vendor certification myself. However, after doing lot's of research, and asking recruiters, vendor certs don't help all that much. Employers don't give a lot of credibility to someone who merely passed a test, versus someone who has actual CS training, or has actual CS experience. "Hands on" is much more valuable than answering multiple choice questions.

So I think it's much more valuable to actually take classes, and get as much experience as possible either in the classroom or at one's present job. Passing a test (and forking over the $100 to $150 for taking the test) doesn't hurt one's chances, but it doesn't help much, if at all.

As for being a programmer and thinking I know everything about computers: Nothing could be further from the truth. If anything, the more I learn about computers and programming, the more I learn how little I know. Thus, I usually just assume that I know very little, then seek out as much useful information as possible. This attitude has served me well.