PC - Mac flamewar

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Foosinho, Dec 1, 2004.

1. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If operating systems were cars:

Windows would be a Ford Taurus - i.e. half way nice car that breaks down a lot.

Linux would be a Honda Accord - extremely nice, comfortable car that is a paragon of efficiency, engineering, reliability, and affordability.

Mac OSX would be a Mercedes (any model) - extremely well built, powerful, reliable, full featured, and luxiurious. It can be expensive but generally worth it.

And if software knowledge was a car, Premium Hamatachi's knowledge would be a Yugo. :D

2. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I didn't mean that in a negative way at all.

If you reread my last post Skip, I don't think you can claim ignorance in there. All I said was that Squash likes to point out PH posts when his posts are very similar. The teachers and artists thing...that just my opinion. If I'd have those jobs, yeah, I'd lean on the Mac side. But since my computer isn't based around the use of Photoshop (although Windows hasn't given me any trouble at all with PS) and other software that are used for creative purposes, I'll stick to the PC.

3. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    he is a mac fanboy. what do you expect? he overeacted just like the others

4. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    LOL.

5. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Jeff..how is the Mac full featured when it's doesn't work with half the programs that works with Windows?

6. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the OS itself, not the apps. And if we're talking about apps, then Mac has Mac versions or Mac equivelents for 90% of Windows apps. And typically, the Mac version works better and easier.

Plus, I was being sarcastic (albeit truthfully scarcastic). ;)

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    So what you're saying is that MacOS is coasting along on past glory while it is truly a shadow of its former self?

Sounds about right to me.

Sachin

8. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Like what, Clarisworks? Do you know how many people work with Clarisworks compared to Microsoft Word? Not many at all. It may be supposedly easier to work with this Mac product, but it won't easy to share your file with others during a business trip because everyone will probably be using Windows.

Windows = practical for the world

OSX = practical for only those who use OSX

Great read: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1706263,00.asp

9. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    I think it's called AppleWorks now.

And AppleWorks is compatible with Microsoft Word and Excel documents.

So there.

BTW, I'm being attracted more and more to Apple everyday.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm pretty sure Jeff means, like, Microsoft Office for Mac. The last few versions haven't sucked too much, so kudos to Bill Gates.

For a few years, Microsoft was developing the Office suite for Mac ahead of the Windows version, and having used both equivalent editions of Word, I gotta say, things worked much smoother and faster on the Mac version.

Serious question for you - what mass market Windows software has no Mac version or a Mac equivalent? I'm trying to think of one and I can't come up with a single example.

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I don't know. Isn't Apple partially owned by Bill Gates? Therefore he would have Windows software be compatible with the Mac OS.

The problem is not many programs outside of Microsoft will work with Mac. It's just a popularity difference. Just like the security situation. You can't say that Apple is unbeatable because it's not. People just don't want to waste their time with them.

That's why I say that Windows is much more practical.

12. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Security through obscurity is fine for me. Anti-Mac hysterics can scream and wail all they want about how no-one will write a virus that only affects such a small amount of people and that suits me fine. As of this writing there are still no known viruses for OS X.
    I really don't care about the Mac/pc thing but I get such a kick out of PH when he writes his anti Mac tirades that I keep following this thread.

13. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    being compatible with the best does not mean that it is as good as the best. what apple is doing is nothing different from hookers trying to hook up with some rich men in order to become rich.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    So you are saying that you do not know of any mass market app that does not have a Mac version or equivalent? Got it.
    Not any more. He bought $150 million in stocks back in 1997, but I understand he sold his share for a pretty tidy profit.
    I see. So which mass market software does not have a Mac version or equivalent? Oh, wait.
    Sure it's not. But it's much less beatable than the swiss cheese that we call Windows.

15. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    oh now would you please stop blaming me for whatever the pain you suffered? from the very beginning i was only telling the truth about mac/linux then you people all get hyped up and started jumping on me like some freaking wild animals. just re-read all of my posts if you don't mind, i stayed calm all the time. i never get crumbled by my inferior counterparts' trivial words about microsoft and window because all they say is far from the truth, just like those counterfeits in your wallet. if my telling truth about your mac really hurts you, then please stay away from this thread.

16. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    But can we at least agree on one thing?

Macs, aesthetically, are much better than PCs.

17. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    are you kidding me? how can he answer such a dumb question when it's extremely difficult to find any mac products in the first place? searching for those hidden unnoticed mac stores, or mac products in a retail giant like best buy is like searching for gold deep under the atlantic ocean.

swiss cheese? oh wait i know how to make a mac. leave the swiss cheese outside for a day or two during the summer then it'll become a mac

18. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Okay. If the whole world turns on Microsoft like every Mac user wishes...do you know how little time Mac users will have left in which they will be able to say, "Hey, hackers can't get me?" Not long. If the tide turns, the security situation will too. It's only a matter of numbers.

If you don't believe me, read that article.

19. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    If you place some of that cheese on top of pasta, you'll have some macoroni and cheese.

I'll be here all week. :)

20. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I love Macintosh monitors more than those 15 pin VGA monitors. So much brighter. As far as aesthetic design, eh. If you're talking about the physical hardware, I like PC cases more. There's so much more variety and shapes and sizes but the OSX desktop is a lot nicer looking than the Windows desktop.

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It's actually not that informative an article. Sure, you can penetrate a Unix/OS X system. No kidding. But the chances are pretty slim, because the operative phrase in the piece is "social engineering", not in inherent flaws in the system architecture.

And it's hard to take a writer seriously when he brings up phishing in a column about worms and system security.

Think of it this way. You can break into a BMW, but there's little you can do unless you steal the key from the driver. On the other hand, with a cheaper car, it's a matter of picking the lock with a slim jim and hot wiring the engine. "Possible" is not the same thing as "likely".

22. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Have you ever read that book about Kevin Mitnick. He was the master of social engineering. It's pretty easy to fool someone into thinking you're a fellow employee of their company and giving up the goods.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. No matter what OS you use, PC, Mac, linux, other(??), he is interesting to watch.

Sort of reminds me of a scene from Howard Stern's movie. No matter if you like him, or hate him, you'll listen (in PH case - read) more and more, just to see what he'll say (or type) next.

And the aesthetic argument. Yeah, Mac has this one hands down. I forget the name of it, but that new Mac that's all monitor, keyboard, and mouse is sweet.

Almost no wires. Unless you get into the external stuff (speakers, printer, media drives, etc.)

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno about that...

[​IMG]

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's aesthetically pleasing about that?

That thing is hideous!