PC - Mac flamewar

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Foosinho, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    yeah, amazing to see how mac/linux fanboys create mess in bigsoccer.com

2. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Don't make me green card you :) Premium you are one of the biggest messes on this board, and i'm starting to like you because of it.

3. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    BTW, which web browser do you use for your Mac. I'm use safari when I'm on the mac but I wonder if there's something better.

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Cant ya just use Internet Explorer for MAC, also ? They had IE's set up on MACs at my college.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure you can, but why would you want to?

Use Safari or Firefox.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    hows safari/firefox better than IE ?

7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Pop-up blockers and tabbed browsing come to mind first.

8. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IE also has many more security vulnerabilities. Plus, IE is actually integrated into the internal kernel of the Windows OS, which, when combined with IE's security vulnerabilites, gives outside hackers and virus writers direct access to the internals of your PC/OS.

The Department of Homeland Security recomends not using IE, and using Firefox/Mozilla, or Apples's Safari, or KDE's (a Linux desktop environment) Konqueror (Safari and Konqueror use the same rendering engine - KHTML) instead.

Finally, MS has stopped actively developing IE. In the upcoming Longhorn, they are integrating the browser right into the OS/GUI rendering engine. They are trying to get dominance over the internet (which will fail), and exposing users to even greater security risk (even more browser integration into the OS, when it should go the other direction).

So, if you don't leave Windows for Macs or Linux, at the very least stop using IE, and get the free Firefox download, and use it instead. That at the very least will protect you better, and you will get more features.

9. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    For the mac users firefox is here
    http://www.mozilla.org/

I use it and safari...i like both. IE is like a dinasaur anyways for mac, their last update was 2 years ago. Pathetic

10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    thanks a bunch again :)

11. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    WAIT!! If Mac is soooo great, why not use the very vunerable IE? Won't it's super duper security technology eat the viruses right away??

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

You got us!

But seriously, I like Firefox, but my problem with it is that I have to use two hands when navigating as opposed to Safari.

13. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    What do you mean two hands...two different "companies?"

I like Firefox. It's pretty fast and does just about everything IE does and some more. Can't really complain.

Is there a way that you can make pop-up pages appear as a tab instead of a seperate window? That would make this browser so much better.

14. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    because IE hasn't been updated in 2 years,and it's slow.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I mean, I have to use the fn key and it's on the other of my keyboard from the arrow keys.

16. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Oh I see.

17. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Sorry Squash, every time I've used a Mac, it was running on IE. Ran very smoothly.

18. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    That may have been the case for you, but safari and firefox are both faster at rendering pages and better to use. I think from most of the stuff you post, you used OS9 ...no offense but OS X and many of the apps are light years ahead of the stuff from 9.

Safari offers a very good pop-up blocker, in fact i haven't had a pop up in at least over a year of using safari. if i turn the feature off i can see all of the cools ones you probably see :)

Metro it's not that i don't believe you, it's just i believe you've never used a newer mac with OS X and many of the better apps. IE is actually pretty embarrassing IMO, and Microsoft hasn't updated it for mac in like 2 years. It's no wonder many browsers for the mac are better than IE.

19. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Actually, I think MS end-of-lifed IE for Mac, didn't they?

20. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    they have, and the developers who worked for MS's Mac division have jumped ship to Apple. Safari is written by the same people who wrote IE mac.

21. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    mac people's resistance is simply annoying. besides, no pc users really show rivalry against their inferior counterpart. who cares about ie or firefox? we both got both. microsoft has been doing great job providing ie, office, and virtual pc in order to keep the nearly-dead mac systems alive until today. but the arrogance of mac fanboys is intolerable. justice must be brought upon them if they continue to act like this.

22. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    LOL, i'm not sure if your an idiot or a comedien, but i like you either way. :)

23. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's a pip, aint he?

24. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    he's quite a celebrity in the asian forums as well.....

25. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    hey how long are you gonna keep this sticky? we've all moved on already with a conclusion that pc is far better than mac so there's no reason to keep this here forever