PBS's Commanding Heights

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dolemite, May 11, 2004.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/hi/story/index.html

here's link to watch episodes. it's pretty good. about the rise of globilaztion. gives a decent history of macro ecomics and economic policies in the 20th century. not sure if this had been posted, but i figured some people might be interested

2. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been meaning to watch this for a while now.

Economics + Globalization prsented on PBS - what's not to love?
    Almost forgot about it - but came to campus to see the series with a fast connection. Link still works. Who's with me?

3. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Forgot to add you can watch the entire thing - online.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Thanks for the link, guys. Really useful stuff, and quite impressive how it is able to bring together strands from so many different areas. Pretty encyclopedic, even if heavily slanted toward Hayek and "free trade."

Highly recommended.

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a pretty good series; I watched it several months ago. The in depth discussion about free markets and investment in emerging markets was well balanced. Pointing out the huge benefits entrepreneurial spirit has made in Latin America, Asia and Eastern Europe, as well as the negative affects of global dependence.

For a capitalist who believes that the market is always right, from goods to employment, I recommend this series to all.

6. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until this series addresses real, fundamental structural changes to trade it's essentially a dogmatic piece of neoliberal crap. As I recall, Dan Yergin is one of the producers. He's never addressed the fair trade agenda (pro or con) and the gross amount of subsidies (aka "wealthfare") that northern industrial states dole to their agri-businesses and the like.