PBP: USWNT vs. Colombia Jan18 & 22

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by zdravstvuyte, Jan 14, 2021.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually he/she does get to define what does and does not disrespect anything as it pertains to him/her.
    We all get to define any form form of speech as it pertains to us. What we don't get to do is require others to agree/disagree with anything.

Personally I think what the kneelers and those that do not knell do requires courage as it shows disagreement with at least some of those close to them. I have no idea what I would do if placed in that situation as both sides are "right."

As to the latter part of your post it is simply a form of hate speech. It is just as bad as those you condemn.

It is possible to have strong beliefs, I know I do, and not attack people that disagree with you.

Attack the ideas NOT the people that have them.

jnielsen, West Ender and CoachJon repped this.
  2. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Yes.

McSkillz, RalleeMonkey and ytrs repped this.
  3. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    No doubt. I’m saying it’s a strategic choice for the development of the team. We may be better off using minutes to develop Macario without enough drop off to make it much of a risk. In my opinion, there isn’t a similar player pushing Rapino for minutes. I don’t see Williams that way. YMMV.

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, there's just a few players who can move up into the front line effectively:
    Dunn
    Purce-- pretty sure she'll make the 18...
    O'Hara
    Horan

And of course there's an alternates squad that can be brought in in case of injuries; I imagine K Mewis will be on it if she doesn't make the 18. Probably Williams too...

CoachJon repped this.
  5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While I too remember the "announcers" saying that it should be noted that they were pretty horrible and miss-reported much of the match. They also have their own agenda that may or may not actually be what is best for the team in both the short and long run.

I believe that Lloyd has failed to make her case for continued inclusion in the national side. Yes, she can still run BUT she has not been finishing and one of the primary jobs of a center forward is putting the ball in the net. In fact that, in most systems, is job #1 of a center forward.

I do not think her leadership value offsets her liability as a center forward that does not score.

From the last two matches I defiantly would not include her in an 18 player roster. In fact I do not think she makes the top 30 or so in the pool.

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Calling those who attempted a coup on our democracy domestic terrorists is not an opinion. It is a fact. They engaged in criminal behavior in an attempt to overthrow the will of the people. Again, these are facts. It is not attacking people who disagree with me. It is calling them what they are - domestic terrorists.

McSkillz, jjmack, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  7. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I agree. I would rather see Macario than Lloyd. I was just clarifying if I heard that correctly. I am not a Lloyd fan. I think she should retire. But, I have to give her credit for her fitness standard, especially at her age. I am sure she knew she had to be exceptional to prove a point. But, I think Macario is the way to go.

JimWharton repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That statement has NOTHING to do with what I referred to:
    That is hate speech.
    With that you were not condemning the people that invaded the Capital but you were lumping a stranger in with a group of criminals without any supporting evidence. That is the kind of rhetoric that was used by people to oppress others throughout history. Just lump someone into a group that is easily, whether correctly or not, hated and you get rid of that person and never have to be concerned with them again.

The politics of hate is wrong no matter if it is the right hating the left or the left hating the right.

There is no effective difference between the capitol invaders and those that condemn others that were not there just to dismiss their views.

Instead of name calling this country would be better off just debating the issues. Listening to the current debate, which is little more than name calling, is like watching a bunch of ten year-olds debate playground behavior.
    No, that is insulting to the ten year-olds.

9. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    The definition of "hate speech" offered by FanOfFutbol is so broad as to be meaningless. Equating "name calling" with "hate speech" is ridiculous. Moreover, the reference to ten-year-olds shows that FanOfFutbol has no problem indulging in "name calling."

McSkillz, ytrs, sweepsit and 1 other person repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's not uncommon for @FanOfFutbol to cowardly allude to people and #bothsides things while displaying a superiority complex. That's why I rarely engage. Certain kinds of posts in these threads are much more common outside of matches.

McSkillz, ytrs and Bob Lamm repped this.
  11. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I ask that as a question. I did not call him names. Read closely. See the question mark at the end of the sentence? I will take the advice of another, and no longer engage with you.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  12. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Was watching the highlights, didn't realize those tarps covering the closest seats are actually CGI and not the real thing! LOL!

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've gotten used to it after watching MLS. It was occasionally confusing as many broadcasts were using CG tarp ads, but some venues allowed seating in those sections. They have gotten better at making the tarp opaque no matter what is in the section.

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who helped themselves in the competition to be on the Olympic team?

Number one who helped herself, in my opinion, was 36-year- old Ali Krieger, who was excellent in the first half of the second game with Colombia. Kelly O'Hara has competition at right back. Secondly, I've never been a fan of Emily Sonnett, but she had a good game. Kristi Mewis helped herself, but the competition for a midfield slot on the Olympic team is heavy.

Lloyd and Rapinoe, of course, helped themselves. And also of course Macario -- who is a near lock in my opinion.

I think probably Lynn Williams, although she scored a goal, dropped a bit in the competition. She was active, but didn't do much to capture the attention of the coaches.

Likewise, Rose Lavelle, although she's a lock on the Olympic Team didn't advance her cause to be a starter -- again because it's a tough midfield to break into with Mewis, Ertz, and Horan, all of whom are outstanding. I'm not dissing Lavelle. She is maybe the most exciting player on the team with the ball at her feet, but who among that trio does she replace as a starter? Not Mewis, the best player on the team in my opinion; not Ertz who is a defensive powerhouse; and maybe not Horan who is rough, tough, and talented, if not as explosive as Lavelle.

ytrs, sweepsit, jnielsen and 3 others repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I believes Vlatko likes Williams more than what people might think. She looked way better vs Holland where she was able to counter way more/using her lightning fast breaks to the max.

talking about styles; Vlatko was able to lure the Dutch out in the open by letting them move up past the half way line & then countering with a blistering press(thus making all those fast counters possible). Wonder why the high press this time vs the helpless Colombians?(who are missing some of their best player’s anyways)

I can only guess is that if they high pressed Holland, then the Dutch could of accurately lobbed it over(long balls was so much part of their game when they won the Euros back in 2017) whereas the Colombians are a tight bunch, sticking close together as they try to work the ball upfield via short, grounded passes. But I think it would of been more interesting if they let the Colombians move more upfield

jjmack and jnielsen repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm a broken record on this, but the competition did not favor Williams or Lavelle. Both of their games thrive when there is space. It's all well and good for either player to beat a player 1v1, but when the defense is already back and compact, they're going to have to beat another couple of players before they can do anything. I would have thought that Lavelle could do pretty well in that environment. But, it looks like her core competency is the beat a player and set up her shot. She's not that great at dribbling through a crowd. When the defense is back and compact, that shot is often taken away, she has to reset. It's wash, rinse, repeat.

If Rose and Pino switched positions, the perception of them from these matches would probably switch. Rose would be out on the wing, one v one, and she'd get shots. Pino would be stuck in a crowd with her shots blocked. And, this isn't a big criticism of Rose - not many players can dribble though a crowd. Teams bunker for a reason.

The difference with Williams is that when she's out on the wing, she beats players with speed. That takes her deep. When she's already deep when she receives the ball, it takes her tooooooo deep to do anything. She's on the endline and very wide by the time she rounds the defender. She needs to receive the ball or start her run higher up the field.

So, to me, the competition cast Pino in a favorable light and Lavelle Williams in an unfavorable light. Not many teams are going to sit back that much against us in the Olympics. But, with regard to Williams, it did expose how limited her game is. It's a shame that we didn't get a chance to look at Smith. But, her time will come.

jnielsen and Smallchief repped this.
  18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    anyone know where one can one find a replay of this match?

19. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #244 BrooklynSoccer, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    This couldn't be more inaccurate. And it's not just my impression from watching Rose for 7 years. But every single coach, from youth to Wisconsin to National team has been very clear that Rose's strength is to break compact defensive pressure in tight situations with out space- There have been entire articles on Rose's ability to breakdown pressure, with statistics given by April. Rose is not a player who breakdown the game with her speed. She breaks down defenses with her technical ability.

Rose is not at 100%, that's the issue here (which has been stated). She's not 90 minutes ready.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    1st game

2nd game

Bob Lamm and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I never said Rose breaks down defenses with speed. I said she beats one player and sets up her shot. I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong, but at least read what I said and don't misrepresent it.

I'll admit I've only watched her NT matches - how many assists does she have?

But, I'd love to read what you're talking about. Can you link some of the articles?

In the meantime, I'll restate my sense of it: If Rose was playing out on the wing where Pino is, she would be torching teams. Now, Pino plays a great ball in. We would lose that. But, if Rose was out there, defenders would cower. Dunn, too, for that matter.

22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not surprising considering her monk like dedication to 5AM training and attitude towards sticking with the team until after the Olympics. This is probably why she can compete on a high level at the age of 38. This is why Abby retired at 33, you couldn’t pay her to wake up at 5AM

ytrs repped this.
  23. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Wow.. take a day or 2 off and the thread goes all ballistic...

That said I like the exchange of opinions and the reactions to them. It makes us more aware of the individuals we are conversing with here.
    Good stuff.

I personally have no beef with who stands and who kneels as the USA is built on freedom of expression and long may it wave. However, the fact that the traitor-in-chief is now toast (praise the lord) and we have a real human being in charge may have some effect on the players during the anthem.
    Perhaps they feel proud to stand now that justice has been served ?
    That's what I had heard.
    Had they refused to wear their custom, made to order, BLM jackets that would be a different story.

Now on to football.
    There will be no Olympics so the SBC is the last tournament where we will, or should I say Vlatko will, engage the services of the elderly. I for one will miss them dearly as they have built something that will live on in infamy. This passing of the torch is part and parcel of the entire ethos of this team from its very inception and the job they have done is beyond amazing.
    All our players are aware of the ‘pay it forward’ assignment and have had it drilled into them that this is the way the team builds better.

And it certainly does.

Thank you Mia and the whole 99’er crew for the script and to this crop of players for the execution of the Act 3 (2012-2021 as to which is is known).

Bob Lamm and blissett repped this.
  24. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    This is opposite world stuff.
    if you just do some google searches, watch some games, listen to some commentary from coaches there's an abundance of information and critique of Rose's strength - which is navigating tight and compact situations.

25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #250 RalleeMonkey, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    No link?

Btw, this is what I said:

I'm a broken record on this, but the competition did not favor Williams or Lavelle. Both of their games thrive when there is space. It's all well and good for either player to beat a player 1v1, but when the defense is already back and compact, they're going to have to beat another couple of players before they can do anything. I would have thought that Lavelle could do pretty well in that environment. But, it looks like her core competency is the beat a player and set up her shot. She's not that great at dribbling through a crowd. When the defense is back and compact, that shot is often taken away, she has to reset. It's wash, rinse, repeat.