PBP Thread: Match #8, Croatia vs Nigeria, 16 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I got the same feeling as you. It can go either way.
    I know we can beat them but i don't know if we will show it right there at the right moment as we are unpredictable.
    We will have to step up from the first match and be clinical. Argentina will have scoring chances. But so will we. We will have to be more efficient than them.

2. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We did not reckon that our coach would come out with cowardly tactics, would not play the 3-5-2, which is our best attacking formation. The first time in a long time I saw a Nigerian team afraid to attack.

Anyway congratulations on the win. Argentina will not be scared to attack, so we will see how your defense holds out against a decent attacking team, which we thought we had.

Unak78 repped this.
  3. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Your team was scared to attack cause they know that we got some of the best players in the world in transitionnal game we even won against Spain with it.
    They tried to stay focused without open the game but we just have more weapons than you do and can win games even without playing our best. Simply.

Argentina will attack us more yes but maybe we will have more spaces in their backs as well...

We will see.

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Well that is certainly what the coach told the players. What good did that do in the end ? We dont play that way naturally no matter who the opposition is. We went toe to toe with Argentina last WC, and they have far deadlier weapons than you guys do.

Anyways your next game could go either way. It could even be easier for you to be honest. Argentine midfield is not as good as ours. Statistically we won the midfield battle against you guys, more tackles, more dribbles, just as good pass percentages, though not as many passes.

If you guys dominate the midfield against Argentina, which you should do, it could be a long day for Argentina.

Unak78 repped this.
  5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I'm guessing he was afraid of Modric and Rakitic tearing his team up in midfield. Anyway Nigeria did come out and show some attacking threat in the second half but after pk goal it was game set match. In the end three points is what is most important.

6. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    But we didn't even use our usual midfield in this match...we played without a 6 against you and you didn't create much..our 6 is badelj with either rakitic or modric near and the other one a step up...in this match our coach tried modric and rakitic near each others with kramaric up it was the first time we did that. The coach got what he wanted we were more unbalanced in midfield than usual but totally cancelled your wings.
    We also knew that with your weaknesses on set pieces we would have chances even in a closed game. We already mentionned them few weeks ago.

If you would have tried to play more we would have hurt you on the transitions.

Argentina got more incredible players upfront but overall not sure that i would switch our 11 against their.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yes definitely.

8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    You cancelled our wings because our two wing backs DID NOT ATTACK. They simply defended while your guys overlapped with your wingers like the modern game is played.

It's hard to have an effective attack when your outside defenders do not join the attack. Frankly our coach is sabotaging the team. Ultra defensive tactics, leaving better players on the bench, not picking the right formations, and taking ages to respond tactically.

I don't agree we would have been hurt more if we attacked. Sitting back conservatively allowed you to get corner kicks and thus the goals, which we pretty much gave you. It was a stupid plan.

We only lost by a single goal against Argentina 4 years ago in a straight up shoot out. I really doubt it would be any worse if we did the same with you. Senegal had you guys on the ropes, they missed so many chances and you won.

Just my 2 cents but it's all over now. Coach is an idiot.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    But they didn't. Ndidi and Etebo more than held their own. Etebo especially kept Rakitic and Modric honest.

The problem was with the fullbacks and the wings, not in the midfield (albeit playing Mikel deeper and Etebo or Iwobi up front would have been beneficial.

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    There were no wings. The fullbacks didn't do near enough to involve themselves on the wings. Wrong players, wrong formation.

11. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Only reason that happened was BECAUSE WE DIDN'T ATTACK.

That's on the coach. Even if we conceded you would have conceded as well. When we force an issue we can make that effect happen.

Gernot Rohr is a coward and tactically deficient. Under Keshi (RIP big boss) I'm certain we would have got something out of this.

I want your team to beat Argentina so we have a chance to make it out of this group but if you don't that would be disappointing. We can beat Iceland and we have beaten Argentina before and hopefully this coach lets our players attack.

12. AttriV82

AttriV82 New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    After Matchday 1, keep an eye on the Croatia team, the entire team playing at a high level, they are exceptional in balancing the attacking and defensive aspects and the midfield is really strong as well, a more tactical coach and a lot of supporters stand behind the team, such distinctive units has a lot of potential.