PBP Thread: Match #5, France vs Australia, 16 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone,

First of all, welcome to the new posters joining us! You might have recently created an account just to get in on the World Cup excitement, or you may have already been lurking around BigSoccer and decided to finally get involved in all the banter. Either way, welcome!

A general bit of advice for you, as well as a reminder for our longtime posters: we're all here for the football. With that in mind, we here are taking a zero-tolerance policy towards expressions of racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, ad hominem attacks, insults (towards a group of people, countries, or fellow posters) and trolling. Infractions will get you booked - and if you ask where was your warning, this is it. If you see a fellow poster insulting you or a part of your identity (race, sex, nationality, etc.)? Don't respond in kind - REPORT IT. It is the fastest way for us mods to handle the offending posts.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy!

el-capitano repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Lets get this party started! :)

3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  4. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Game of the « supposed » best team of the group versus the « supposed » worst!

I don’t expect this game to be easy for France, though, I think we should win by a small margin, like 1,2 goals difference max.
    However anything else than a win here for us would be terrible :confused:

Good luck Aussies!! Let’s have a great game!

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I can see France crashing and burning. While having a history of winning, they also have a history of being unable to handle the pressure and allowing potential conflicts within get the best of them.

Can see France winning.. 1-0..

Likely the aussies show to much respect and sit back eventually conceding a goal..

monere repped this.
  6. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Loris Sidibe Umtiti Varane Mendy Kante Pogba Matuidi Dembele Mbappe Griezzmann

4-0

Mbappe 2x, Pogba & Giroud

7. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We are going to struggle big time. If Ange was still our coach then I might think we would be in with a chance of an upset. But with Bert there, I think we will just sit back and hope for something on the counter, which will probably never come. But miracles do happen so who knows. You just need to jag an upset and getting out of the group looks a whole lot easier.

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This game is about group management. We don't want a heavy loss, so we're still in with a shot when playing the other two teams. Pim & Germany killed us in 2010, and we want to avoid that this time around.

monere and Edwardinho repped this.
  9. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    Giroud sucks. I will bet on Mbappe and Griezmann.

10. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This could either be a quick 4-0 or an unconvincing 2-1 for France. It depends on which France shows up but I still don't see them losing this game.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Starts at 3am PST. I feel most sorry for the Japanese and Korean viewers, most games start at midnight for them.

Watch out France, the aussies can be a tough team to break down.

monere repped this.
  12. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Most games in Aus start between midnight and 4am.

This particular game is great because it kicks off at 8pm.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We have 3 almost civilised kickoff times with the next two games at 10PM and midnight respectively.

14. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes we do. All the other games are the usual early morning kickoff. A few 10pm games. Problem is we want be able to see many it seems unless you get Optus streaming.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I can see a 0 0 draw happening.

16. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    Good joke.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck both teams. Will be interesting to watch this game at the fan fest in Kaliningrad with Croatia playing as many Croat-aussies here

el-capitano and condor11 repped this.
  18. monere

monere Guest

I'll root for you. For some reason that I can't explain I've always rooted for Australia in WC. It comes instinctively even though I have nothing in common with you guys. But I do like your fighting spirit. If I remember correctly you have always been paired with some of the toughest opponents at each WC, and yet, you've always been a hard nut to crack. Hopefully this will happen again cause I'd really like to see you get out of the group. You have your chances, so don't give up hope.

I actually think you will defeat Peru, and are capable of drawing both France and Denmark.

Also, something that puzzled me in the last year is why you've gotten rid of Ange Postecoglu. He may have not been one of the greatest coaches, but he's coached you pretty well at each WC (including the qualifiers). I'm not saying that Bert van Marvijk is a bad coach. I've watched your friendly against Hungary and while the entire game has been pretty odd (3 own goals if I remember correctly) your style of play did seem goal-oriented to me, which matter. So, Bert might not necessarily be worse than Ange, but I still don't know why you changed the coaches.

Anyway, these being said good luck against France! Keep a clean sheet for 40-50 minutes and the French will start to panic and when they do you can hit them on the counter and pull a dirty (but well deserved) 1-0 victory ;)

19. monere

monere Guest

not gonna happen. Both teams will score because France is an attacking team, and because their defense is also shady and when you couple that with Aussies' fighting mentality... well, you're bound to see goals.

I predict a 3-2 win for France (but I'll root for the Socceroos hehe :p)

20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ange wasn't sacked, he quit. He got a job coaching in Japan.

21. monere

monere Guest

Oh... he wanted a new challenged :)

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia