PBP Thread: Match #29, Belgium vs. Tunisia, 23 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 23, 2018.

1. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The seeding in Africa is garbage and it favors north African teams even though they are terrible away from home.

Tom Collingsworth and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Indeed. I highly anticipate now the Belguim - England clash. After that game we will have a better idea about the chances of this Belguim team in the tournament.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Algeria would have done better.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    To be fair though - Morocco was really good. Save for the scoring part.

5. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s how to take care of minnow countries like Belgium. They should score more goals if the game did not end in 90 minutes...Solid win, congrats Belgium!

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree but I can't help but laugh at this quote.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am rather baffled by Tunisia's tactics in this World Cup. They played these games in a reckless fashion, using a very high press, and showed none of the defensive organization and tactical acumen I expected from them. This was particularly surprising given that they were playing teams that they could have expected would be able to expose them playing in this manner. Tunisia would have had a very different World Cup IMO if they had used the system I had seen from them, focusing on pressing in midfield and keeping themselves more organized in the back.

Belgium, on the other hand, looks like the most dangerous side in this tournament. Since their last friendly match against Costa Rica (which they thrashed 4:1) to their thrashing of Panama and now Tunisia, they have been steam rolling over lesser opponents. We have to see if any of this will rob off on how they play tougher opponents but if it does, it seems they will have finally come together and come up with a side that has what it takes to live up to what was once hype and is now looking increasingly like the real deal.

TheHitman47, kennytt and zahzah repped this.
  8. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    At least Tunisia scored three of those although one of them was from a PK ( the Egypt one was also from a PK )

an Arabic BeIn Sport commentator said before the WC started that the only game that Arabs would get any points is from the Egypt and Saudi game , i honestly thought he was joking but not any more :confused:

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cheer up.
    There is always Tunisia-Panama.
    ;)

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agree.

Despite the final score of the match, which was very big, I'd say that the tunisian team at all times presented a very open game, and was beautifully played by both teams. both opponents deserved each other, as it was also a very clean match (less than 10 fouls between both of the teams, is not something you see so often).

I didn't expect much from this match before it was played, but after watching it, they really surprised me with one of the nicest matches seen this WC.

I feel bad for the tunisian team and the final score, as they deserved a better result, but unfortunately the Belgium team, was almost surgical in not missing their chances and showing why they are among the favourites to win this WC.

Great match for both teams.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kennytt repped this.
  11. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WC final: Belgium vs Germany?

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I still have hope for Panama-Korea

Pipiolo and kennytt repped this.
  13. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U17?

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Women's Futsal U-17

kennytt repped this.
  15. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Zlatan said in the Arabic BeIn sport Studio " If all Arabic teams end up in one group , still no one will qualify " this guy is savage :ROFLMAO:

16. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    I hate to say it but I think this Belgian team will rip England apart on Thursday.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hard for me to say.
    Especially if Belgium just plays their benchers which I think they are tempted to do.

18. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So far Belgium offered best matches

19. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    You could be right there Homie I never thought of that. I suppose it depends on how we get on against Panama tomorrow and whether we can break them down or not. Probably not.

20. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    Tunisia were playing a fairly open game but their defense exposed far too easily in the second game.
    This is by far one of the worst performances by a team in years at the World Cup and probably the worst by African representative team ever.
    Belgium are at extremely different level, quick attacking football with excellent passing skills, a highly talented group who lacked very good manager before but now you cannot say that anymore.
    Roberto Martinez transformed Belgium into a title contender and top-5 teams.

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As someone who watches a lot of Panama games and my fair share of English matches...
    ...you have very little to worry about.
    But that is why they play the games. You just never know.

22. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That's terrible and sadly that could be a draw.

23. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    Morocco and Peru both played amazing football and were consistent attacking threats but they lost the top spots.

24. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely, you aren't counting Iran amongst the "Arab" teams. ;)

EDIT: I forgot about SA. I got you. Arab teams: Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, SA :thumbsup:

25. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels to me like finishing has still been pretty bad. Could have had WAY more goals so far.