PBP Thread: Match #20, Iran vs Spain, 20 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 19, 2018.

1. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot our Spain game. Spain won and congrats to them. All I care about at the moment is our third game. CQ is Portuguese and has deep knowledge on Portugal national team. Because of that I assume that no one can make a better decision than him about how to approach our third game. I hope his deep knowledge on Portugal national team can be helpful for us.

Colo-Colo62 and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just go into Kaliningrad for Serbia vs Switzerland tomorrow. Wound up sleeping at the airport so wasn't able to post anything yesterday. Anyway, here's the videos from yesterdays game:

Diego Costa's Goal:

This one's slightly more interesting... the goal that never was - but still the place went crazy:

Congrats Spain, tough luck Iran

JoseEmidio and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  3. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    Before the game yesterday Swedish television did a piece on Carlos Queiroz and in that interview he talked about the rules against women on football. But maybe there is something lost in translation.

edit: Googled it and you're student seem to be wrong https://theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/06/iranian-mps-women-barred-world-cup-qualifier

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #404 Iranian Monitor, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    The ban on women attending football matches in stadiums in Iran does still exist in practice. The ban is specific to football, with the atmosphere in Iran's domestic games cited as the excuse for it. A similar ban in volleyball was lifted. In many other sports, there is no such ban.

As an aside, the ban has been opposed by a plethora of figures in Iran, including prominent television personalities, broadcasters, our football players as well as not just the present administration in Iran under Rohani, but even his predecessor. For some reason, however, it has been a stubborn ban and proven hard to overturn.

In any case, this topic should be discussed elsewhere separately in some other thread, as it isn't relevant to the games in this group played outside of Iran, where Iranian female fans are attending in big numbers. It is basically not relevant to the group games at hand.

Asimovfan, soccernutter and Boloni86 repped this.
  5. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    Agreed. Thank you for the information.

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    VAR is in constant use the ref does not have to refer to the VAR, if the VAR sees a clear foul or hand ball it Will be refered to the ref, the people in the VAR therefore did not think it was a hand ball.

7. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought the Same way as it is difficult to choose between Uruguai and Rússia until someone pointed this out:

I feel like it's about the same either way. I think Russia's actually slightly better playing at home, but it's no material difference either way. Winning the group could make a big difference for the following rounds though.

If we win the group
    Projected most likely QF matchup: Croatia or Denmark
    Projected most likely SF matchup: England, Switzerland, or Mexico

If we finish 2nd
    Projected most likely QF matchup: France or Argentina
    Projected most likely SF matchup: Brazil, Belgium, or Germany

When put that way and seeing that Spain are ahead of us by virtue of having one less yellow card, we have to go for a victory, which we would of anyway without taking too much risks.

8. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Canada might not kick any ass in football but it sure is he greatest country in the world to happen to b born in.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I doubt Portugal will, or even can afford to, look that far ahead. Just advancing will require a much better effort than Portugal has shown so far. While I am not saying Iran will beat Portugal, my view is that the game will probably be boring in the sense that neither side will be taking risks in the first half. In the 2nd half, it should get interesting and exciting. Hope when all is said and done, it will be Iran which will then have to worry about the brackets:)

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Too cold in Canada.

Asimovfan repped this.
  11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Good. Perhaps you can find a NSR forum here or elsewhere and post about the issue in the appropriate forum and thread.

12. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Someone
    Hey some one else here attacked canada. I defended them appropriately. I'm sure life where u live is great to.

13. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Well that much is true. Australia is great to. Truly the Scottie pippin of countries.

14. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Well that really depends on if we play the way we did against Spain or the way we did against morocco. We had an awful game against morocco but we played fine against spain.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The interesting thing to me is that I had never heard Queiroz saying anything in the slightest negative about Portugal until the Morocco match. Until that game, he had even said Portugal are a contender to win the title. But he called Portugal "awful" against Morocco:)

In part, I think that is because Morocco was actually very good. One of the better teams at the World Cup, but somewhat toothless in and around the box.

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whilst great achievements are made step by step there should be purpose and planning. It was a demostration that even though it is a toss up between Uruguai and Rússia IMO further on it could be crucial for all teams progressing from this group ;)

Agree on what the Iran - Portugal may well be like.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The critism is the Same in Portugal, some things are only academically debatable. Who would be happy with that performance (exculding the result), but one of the few things to take from the game is that only if Portugal tried to Play badly could we be worse, due to our historical arrogance, playing that badly against Morocco might be just what we needed.

18. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Morocco was very good against portugal they pressed hard and were on the end of every clearence. I didn't think they would be able to maintain their style of play towards the end of the game but they sure did.

Against Spain tho we were able to carve out quite a few opportunities for ourselves and limited Spain's, against morocco this did not happen.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  19. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Ecuador
    Paraguay
    Venezuela
    Peru

Neither of those teams has produced the talent the 3 European teams produced

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing you don't know who Agustín Delgado, Alex Aguinaga, José Luis Chilavert, José Saturnino Cardozo, Hugo Sotil and Teófilo Cubillas are :rolleyes:

Pipiolo, soccernutter and Boloni86 repped this.
  21. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    It was a clear handball and I saw the slow motion on TV (and the repeats on PC). I don't know why VAR didn't show it to referee or why referee didn't see that. That's why I say using this VAR is a little sketchy. So far it has been in favor of us from Uefa! We have strong teams and we don't need to win with lots of whispers around us. Now if excuse me I have a match to watch!

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is behavioral research does not work like this. The best win versus everybody. But if you exclude the lessers, those who are in the bottom half, they don't improve because they have no incentive to improve. When every continent is included, every team gets better.

23. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I mean the most impressive ones were born in the 40's and the others are had their peaks in Ecuador and Mexico ... I mean sure

On that logic Steaua alone not Romania had more impressive footballers
    Joss Luis Chilavert I can give you

Even so I meant more recently

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Andre Carrillo and Christian Cueva, only Robert Lewandoski is better than them from those three European nations.

25. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Both are 27. They would be at better teams if Lewa the only one above them

Szczesny
    Zielinski
    Kamil Glik