PBP Thread: Match #2, Egypt vs. Uruguay, 15 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The attack and midfield did look bushed for Egypt by the end of the second half. It was even evident in the passing. Could be just normal tiredness or could have been the aftereffects of ramadan.

2. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Yes, this game was pretty boring. Uruguay started slowly, it looked like they were trying to conserve their energy for later stages of the tournament. Egypt looked like they were expected to look without Salah - toothless. They simply had no way to attack effectively, and even with Salah but not fully fit, they will find it hard to score... Uruguay should have pulled the game beyond any reach way faster be it for poor Suarez finishing. He really should have scored at least twice.

However, as usual, Celestes have their back line to rely on, when Suarez fails. When not Godin, then Gimenez... During second Uruguay showed much more urgency, as they definitely wanted to win, shifted to third gear, and got a well deserved, and expected, goal.

With Salah situation, as is, I do not see Egypt defeating Russia. Even if Salah goes out to play, Russians will immediately to what Uruguay would have done - roughen him up with their 195 cm players... Then they will exploit their areal superiority. I expect them to give the possession away, just as v Saudis, and prevent any Egypt counter opportunity.

Salah's injury really ruined Egypt.

Emerican repped this.
  3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    The other thing is that most of the Russian players are pretty tall, and might out-jump the Egyptians on set pieces. Not sure what kind of game to expect though, as I don't know who will be the team to hold more of the ball.

4. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Not necessarily, sometimes players just need an extra couple of days to be match fit. We see it in finals series where every game matters all the time.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think Cuper might have made a strategic mistake. He went for the draw vs Uruguay, while he maybe should have and could have brought on Salah...

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #256 Yoshou, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    And risk losing Salah for the rest of the competition? Egypt didn't need a win in this game. Getting a draw would have been a good result and a loss doesn't really harm them.

At the time that Egypt made their last sub, it looked like Uruguay was snake bit and Egypt was doing pretty good limiting their opportunities. The only reason you bring in Salah is to score goals, which would have pulled Egypt out of their defensive form and is likely something they would have only needed if they were already down a goal.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That's not the only reason. Uruguay were in full attack mode and didn't even really defend. Salah would have forced them to be more cautious in the back. It would have been a great tactic even when going for a draw.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of injuring Salah. As soon as Salah hit the field, Uruguay would have been pounding on his shoulder and Egypt had been under attack the entire game and had done a good job holding Uruguay to just a few chances that Uruguay squandered. Cuper had to balance the risk of taking a loss with losing Salah for the rest of competition. Losing to Uruguay was the expected result here and doesn't change the fact that Egypt needs to beat Russia if they want to advance. It's better to save Salah for Russia than risk him against Uruguay.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Egypt has the honor to be the first team in this cup from outside the UEFA-CONMEBOL axis that looks good enough to be up to their standards.

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  10. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That's very disrespectful.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm? I thought Morocco did quite well outside of the final third. Now, that game happened after the Egypt/Uruguay game, but still...

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Of the Saudis? They deserve it, after getting pummelled that way.

That's what three managers in 10 months does for you.

13. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Egypt isn't out yet.

They have a chance against Russia.
    What I am saying is that's disrespectful to Egypt. Egypt always play decent football. They have many top flight footballers.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Disrespectful to Egypt to say they are the first team outside Europe and South America in this world cup that are up the standards in those two regions?

Can't think of a higher praise, actually.

Emerican repped this.
  15. VolpeWhereAreYou

VolpeWhereAreYou New Member

Real Madrid
    France
    May 28, 2018
    Hey guys i am live in russia doing live vlogs of all the action from a real fans eyes! heck them out and give fox sports a break

NaBUru38 repped this.
  16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    I would say condescending of African players, rather than disrespectful: wow, you are so good that you don't even seem African.

I am not even sure whether an "UEFA+Conmebol axis" even exists.

As far as I know, very few care about Ecuador or Greece.

17. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Really? Was it in 1990 they made WC last time?

18. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Yes, Egypt still has a chance, as everyone who plays some game usually does have a chace... Yet, not very high chance, and I wouldn't bet against Russia in Russia.

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I was touched when Oscar Tabarez struggled to stand with a cane when his team scored. He has a condition which attacks his immune system. He took his country to 3 straight World Cups (and to the 2010 4th place position). He should be revered for helping Uruguay regain a place in the world's biggest stage.

NaBUru38, Suyuntuy and HansWorldCup repped this.
  20. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund