PBP Thread: Match #2, Egypt vs. Uruguay, 15 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly.
    Or Uruguay would have roughed him up and he would have been pulled out of the game on a cart.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I don’t see that happening.
    If Egypt wins this game, they most likely advance.
    The had the opportunity and, with Salah, the possibility

They didn’t take it. He’s done.

Suyuntuy and Sam Hamwich repped this.
  3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think the ref may have been overly protective.

Fact is the moment Egypt went full defensive and no forward move had any purpose - you needed someone like Salah to trouble the Uruguay defence.

Fathi's runs and crosses were the only quality thing offensively that I saw.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Russia - Egypt will be an interesting game. But with the way history works - it has to count against Egypt. It could be curtains for Egypt. Even a draw and a Uruguay win vs Russia puts Egypt at a disadvantage due to massive goal differential.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Godin was the best defender, midfielder and striker in this match.

6. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    This. They would have kicked him right from the start.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Disappointing match, Egypt other than a few breaks did not come out to play. Suarez was horrible, and the youngsters De Arrascaeta and Nandez disappointed, the entrance of Rodriguez and Sanchez made a difference. Great match by Cavani, I expect him to be one of the best players of the tournament if Uruguay gets far.

A game of disappointments, biggest one is Salah's absence.

TheHitman47 and RealMadridista repped this.
  8. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Bad game, especially from Suarez. Expected much, much more from him. Still, I will say what i've been saying for months: It will be extremely difficult to take out Uruguay. I'm hoping for an Uruguay France Quarterfinal.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    True. No way Egypt can put up 5 goals against SA.

Additionally, while this game ended 1-0, it could have easily been 3-0

10. monere

monere Guest

My God, please NO! Anyone but those 2.

Belgium, Germany, Spain, England, or Brazil... even Croatia play much better than both Uruguay and France

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Egypt can beat both Russia and Saudi Arabia. Writing them off after losing to the best team in the group without their best player is nuts. Doesn't mean they will win the next two, but they clearly can.

TheHitman47 and monere repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with everything, they don't necessarily need to score 5 against SA. They can hope that Uruguay puts a beating down on Russia, but that's unlikely as Uruguay should have the group tied up at that point, so will likely rest some players to have them fresh for the knockouts.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    You have to give Egypt a lot of credit. They did not allow Uruguay any of the game in the Egypt half. That was a master class defensive effort undone by a set piece.

You can tell on the Egypt counters they were all set up for a player to make a late run into space and make some 'magic.' But he never made that run because he was on the bench.

NaBUru38 and TheHitman47 repped this.
  14. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Almost. Unnecessary foul in the last minute to gift Uruguay the win. Oh well, on to the next game.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I thought it was a dive in real time. Very frustrating.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  16. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, 3 points with Suarez on a dark day... I'll take it.
    De Arrascaeta and Nandez nowhere to be found.
    I'd like to see Torreira in the next game, pleeeease...

Daninho777 repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This. At most MoSalah gets a couple of cameos. Had he been remotely fit he'd have played 20'.

Sport Billy repped this.
  18. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    You have no idea...
    He is GOD in that locker room. He's been there since 2006 and he is in complete control. He commands TOTAL RESPECT from all the players and from the Federation. He'll be there for as long as he wants the job.

19. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    But you fail to understand football and a short tournament like the World Cup where you survive and more forward, as Coach K would say.

20. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Torreira should start, I like both Vecino and Bentancur but I feel both are too similar. Need someone else in the middle that's more tenacious. De Arrascaeta can't play on the left like he's been played. Nandez hasn't looked good the last couple of games. Urreta or Sanchez should start next game.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn, Barca would be fcked if Suarez still play next season in that kind of form. 5 shots , 3 of them were a sitters. He just looked slow and heavy.

22. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Wrong again... It does.
    They had a mental lapse sometime in the 90s and hired Pasarella(the Argentine)... I think he lasted a month and a half... Never again

23. monere

monere Guest

#248 monere, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018
    anybody knows how to ignore users? Too many nutcases attacking ME and I need to put them on mute so I can focus on what matters the most: giving my insightful truth to those that can take it.

Hit me up if you know how to ignore losers

EDIT: a kind moderator told me how to do it. It's all good now :)

zahzah repped this.
  24. hanginglanguage

Juventus
    China
    Nov 23, 2017
    Unreal amount of empty seats, pathetic

Bibooo repped this.
  25. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Uruguay has fantastic CB's with Godin and Gimenez and of course one of the best striker pairs of all teams. Their midfield leaves much to be desired though. They are not an elite team in the middle of the pitch and coughed up the ball many times in dangerous positions but Egypt couldn't take advantage.

On the Egyptian side, they were fantastic on defense and had lots of energy. They have nothing in attack apart from Salah though. I think if he plays they can beat Russia. It will be hard but they can. With two wins, Egypt is still through. Truth is if today's game ended in a draw, Egypt would still probably need a win against Russia (and Saudi) to go through because Russia will crush them on goal differential. Not a big deal that they lost but it is heartbreaking.

I heard the seats are empty because they don't allow so many of one team's fans to get there. I heard some Egyptians couldn't get tickets.

NaBUru38 and monere repped this.