PBP Thread: Match #2, Egypt vs. Uruguay, 15 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Hi everyone,

First of all, welcome to the new posters joining us! You might have recently created an account just to get in on the World Cup excitement, or you may have already been lurking around BigSoccer and decided to finally get involved in all the banter. Either way, welcome!

A general bit of advice for you, as well as a reminder for our longtime posters: we're all here for the football. With that in mind, we here are taking a zero-tolerance policy towards expressions of racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, ad hominem attacks, insults (towards a group of people, countries, or fellow posters) and trolling. Infractions will get you booked - and if you ask where was your warning, this is it. If you see a fellow poster insulting you or a part of your identity (race, sex, nationality, etc.)? Don't respond in kind - REPORT IT. It is the fastest way for us mods to handle the offending posts.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy!

2. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Uruguay will prevail victorious.

3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  4. Barceal

Barceal New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Apr 6, 2018
    I'm from Ekaterinburg and I'm very glad to see guests from Egypt and Uruguay.
    I hope the weather (+ 17C, short rains) will not spoil the impression of our city and football.
    I think Uruguay will win, but I hope for a great football from both teams.
    See you at the stadium!

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It's a Uruguay win or a draw, if Egypt frustrates them. Egypt will basically be Uruguay in this game.

Most likely the worst game of the first round.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Rumours have Salah fit to start tomorrow.
    Might just be mind games though...

Pipiolo repped this.
  7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  8. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I have 39 degrees Celsius of World Cup fever!

monere repped this.
  9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Serbia, even though they have talented players are bound to at least have one dreaful game, my pick for the first round is Serbia-Switzerland

Going for a 1-1 for the second Group A game.

10. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Given Russia's margin of victory today, the pressure is really ramped up on Egypt now. I believe that they will have to commit to playing Salah, even if he is not 100% fit.

11. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2-0 for Uruguay.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  12. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    3:0 Uruguay. They will want to cut down Russia's goal difference. I doubt Egypt has what it takes to frustrate them. However, Suarez doing stupidities, and VAR, may not match up well...

monere repped this.
  13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think one thing people seem to forget about Egypt's preparation (as well as that of Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Morocco and to some extent Nigeria and Senegal) and their performance in friendlies that Eid Al Fitr started yesterday.

So today is the Muslim world's biggest holiday.

That also means that Egyptian (and Moroccan) players won't be playing hungry, like they did in friendlies leading up to the World Cup.

Not the ideal prep for World Cup - fasting during the entire camp. But that does mean we should see a more energetic display from Egypt than during friendlies.

I'm also wondering what impact playing the World Cup on your holiest day of the year will have on Muslims? Will it distract them or motivate them even more?

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It's official: Salah does not start!

1007564954126471168 is not a valid tweet id

15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutted to see Salah starting on the bench in the first game in Egypt's first World Cup in 28 years on his birthday!

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they want to make sure he's well and rested for the Russia game... makes sense, as that will be the big crunch match

monere repped this.
  17. monere

monere Guest

is it contagious?? Cause I've got it, too :(

NaBUru38 repped this.
  18. monere

monere Guest

plausible

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Chances are Salah comes in from the bench.

20. monere

monere Guest

to be honest that's a smart move from Cuper because they know they're underdogs against Uruguay and they'll put a defensive formation in, trying to concede as few goals as possible. Salah will be saved for the games that Egypt has chance of winning which, given Russia's slaughter of SA, have become even more important for Egypt.

Again, I think Egypt will play defensively throughout the entire game, and if score gets 2-0, or 3-0 fast they will bring Salah on to limit the proportions of the ever so important goal differential after Russia's game. But even if Uruguay wins 1-0 I think Egypt will be happy with the result, so even at 1-0 don't expect the Pharaos to go out attacking cause it's not gonna happen. Besides, I've watched Egypt play under Cuper's reign and they're a very atypical African country. Their style of play resembles Europe's, more robust and cerebral, and with such a good coach at their lead Egypt will be hella hard to defeat, especially since they'll play defensively.

I hope I'm wrong and that we won't watch a chess play between Cuper and Tabarez, but to me this is what this game looks like as it stands.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heading down to the fan zone now in Kaliningrad... looking forward to this one..

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The question that begs to be answered here is, what will Suarez pull off in this WC :ROFLMAO:

23. monere

monere Guest

a chunk of tasty, well roasted Egyptian

24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I don't expect a surprise without Salah. Uruguay will win this 2-0.

25. Salas033

Salas033 Member

Juventus
    Dec 15, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    Good luck to Egypt. A draw would be a great result today especially given Saudi Arabia's shape.

Egypt has always been a very good tournament team so I hope that will hold true in this WC despite the situation with Salah.