PBP Thread: Match #13, Belgium vs Panama, 18 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. monere

monere Guest

LOL "criminal at least". How about we shoot him dead? Will that satisfy your hate towards one of the most honest players in the world?

2. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    #227 Volrath, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    It was the overall pace of the game though, they showed it a week ago against Costa Rica that they were able to up the tempo for 90 minutes and grab these kind of teams by the throat.

And I mean, Hazard couldn't get past a guy playing in the MLS. Yet last week he was literally unplayable. Looked a half yard off the pace. Very strange. Maybe WC nerves or something.

3. monere

monere Guest

Hazard has been surrounded at all times by at least 2-3 opponents, so it wasn't "get past a MLS guy" like you're saying. Also, Hazard is not Neymar. His skill is limited and somehow fake (he has to think how to dribble past someone, while Neymar does it instinctively)

Again, I didn't find anything disappointing in this game. At the WC all teams have something to prove,especially the underdogs and the new comers like Panama

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    First of all, I don't hate any player.

What I do hate, though. Is watching cheaters getting away with serious offenses with hardly any sanction for what they did, and more so when one player puts in serious health and safety risks other players, as football is suposed to be a game, not a battle.

Before this particular action we've been talking about, I thought that De Bruyn was a "clean" player which I liked a lot, but now, I have serious doubts on it and with absolute certainty, I will not like any more.

5. monere

monere Guest

good for you. Now, let's watch Tunisia - England!

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree, De Bruyne should be suspended for that play.

Rickdog repped this.
  7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I may use it for the second set of games. Thanks.

8. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    No problem!
    Next one start 23 July. Hmm i thought the next one started tommorow.
    https://www.svenskaspel.se/europatipset/2_1778 (i dont know if you can see the site on english)

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium is a great example of what a team is suppose to look like

10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I expected Belgium to trounce Panama, but the Panamanians were very energetic and intelligent in their play. I was highly impressed with them. Although Belgium won comfortably, Panama did give them something to think about, if not even worry about.

Hazard looked a little tired late on. He may burn out early in this tournament from the look of things. Belgium may do well to rest Hazard for Tunisia.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Better to go full strength in the next game to have the best shot at securing qualification for the KO rounds. In case you're already qualified ahead of the final game then you can rest key players/let knocks heal/protect carded players.

Rickdog repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Uruguay did, considering Egypt was the second-ranked team in the group entering the tournament.

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Did the job at the begining , yes

but, what matters though, is whom actually does the job at the end

(if Belgium for instance, loses both next games, they will likely still be going home)

;):p

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Belgium have the talent to go far..what they dont have is a good manager..imagine what a van gaal or hiddink could do with this team..martinez will be their undoing

15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Normally I would agree, but in this case the final group game would likely be an encounter to determine who wins the group: England or Belgium. Both teams would prefer to play against Poland rather than Colombia, at least I would think. And Hazard, despite not overexerting himself, did look tired by the 70th minute. The extra rest would help, especially in the knock-out round. I think it might be best to keep him on the bench for Tunisia, an inferior opponent, and refreshed for England, an opponent of near equal strength. He could always come off the bench against Tunisia too if need be.

Granted, this kind of tactic has backfired before. Sacchi tried it at Euro 1996 in a bid to keep his players fresh for the group's final encounter against Germany. Although he went a little too far perhaps by resting four starters from their win over Russia in the group opener. As fate would have it, the Italians lost to the Czechs due to this decision and they were only able to draw against Germany who were more than happy with the point.

16. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL Hazard has a better dribbling percentage and a greater take on percentage than Neymar. Statiscally the only player who rivals Hazard at dribbling is Messi.

17. monere

monere Guest

I wasn't talking about stats, but pure talent. Neymar is more talented than Hazard (he moves more easily, more naturally). Also, you're Belgian, therefore biased

Rickdog repped this.
  18. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hazard dribbles more men and more often than Neymar. So therefore Hazard is a better dribbler. It's not because Neymar uses useless stepovers that he is better dribbler.

19. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund