PBP Thread: Match #12, Sweden vs South Korea, 18 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Italian players were oftentimes notorious divers. In fact not only Italians but Germans as well.

Bernd Hölzenbein, the West Germany upon whom a Dutch player committed a foul and generated the PK that tied the 1974 World Cup final, was described by football historian Cris Freddi's The Complete Book of the World Cup as "a notorious diver in the Bundesliga."

What is true in terms of cultural differences however is that the World Cup brought together different styles of play and "antics" that were unknown by one team of another in that time, when few players went to other continents. As such, only once every four years did South Americans face Europeans and vice-versa, the Intercontinental Cup notwithstanding.

As recently as in the 1970s, two-legged tackles from behind were generally accepted by northern European football if the ball was nearby. In South America, this was viewed as an automatic red. Likewise, in South America (I'm Brazilian, so I can speak about this), the elbowing, punching of the back when the referee couldn't see, and other tactics that happened in South America and which still happen today (we call it "catimba" in Brazil) outraged Europeans.

At the end of the day, no one is innocent and everyone is in it to win.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. monere

monere Guest

:D ... I disagree, though...

3. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    If sweden ties both games..

Mexico (if they beat korea) 7
    Sweden 5
    Germany (if they beat Korea) 4
    Korea 0

JoseEmidio and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Don't forget Spain-Portugal.

5. monere

monere Guest

in theory, yes. Practically however... if Sweden starts the game against Mexico thinking they only need a draw they will probably lose it

6. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yeah, i dont disagree. I think v Mexico (with all due respect given they just beat Germany) Sweden will have a better chance to play their normal game.

Against Germany next game, i think Sweden has no choice but to sit back and try to hit them on the counter.. just no way around it, unfortunately. If Sweden try to attack like they did today v Korea, they will get ruined.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Well, theory and fluff are not what I presented, by facts. But in any case, suit yourself.

monere repped this.
  8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Lindelof was also missing from Sweden defensive line today due to illness. Must be serious enough for him to not even be on the bench.. who knows if he will recover in time for Germany game.

It would be a big boost i think however if he was fit and ready to play, Swedes will need their best players vs Germany..

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  9. monere

monere Guest

not a fan of either country, so I didn't like that game. I've only watched it cause it's the WC, otherwise...

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Sweden win it would be their first opening victory since WC 1958 in Sweden in which they lost to Brasil in the final. And so it is.

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Objectively speaking, it was of undeniable quality.

Californian81 repped this.
  12. monere

monere Guest

fully agree

13. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #188 Kamtedrejt, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    I can see that happening. Germany is now under a lot pressure against Sweden. I don't know if Germans can deal with this type of situation. It's pretty unfamiliar for them.

14. monere

monere Guest

he wasn't needed because SK didn't score. Also, I think they will be able to recoup him within 5 days when Sweden's game is due. He's probably got a flu or something light

15. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The thing with Sweden is that we tend to play at our oppnents level. Germany we have revench to demand after 06. Gonna be fun to knock you guys out.

16. monere

monere Guest

meh, you could be right. But for me Spain's 100s of meaningless passes in the middle of the pitch bore me to death. I hate tiki-taka with passion. As for Portugal, that's the only country on the entire planet I can't get to like, no matter what. I mean, from a footballing pov, cause otherwise I have nothing against the Portuguese :)

17. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    Koreans lost their only opportunity to bag any points.

18. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    South Korea are doomed. From what I saw they won't get any points against Mexico or Germany. I also think that Germany and Sweden will be fighting for 2nd. (never thought I would say that)

Like one person said, this is an unfamiliar situation for the Germans.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality of football hasn't been great overall, but it's the World Cup--I don't expect the sport at the absolute peak in most games. I'm fine with that.

We already have some drama, upsets, and intriguing possibilities and we're only one round into the action.

Boloni86 and monere repped this.
  21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This thread is about Sweden vs South Korea.

Keep it on topic.

22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I saw, I doubt either Germany or Mexico will have any trouble sweeping these two aside.

I have some pretty critical words for the referee's complete failure to punish Sweden's tactical fouls at the start of nearly every Korean attack. Get a serious referee and Sweden will have to actually play or they'll end up with 9.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  23. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only when it's a European player getting tackled. That was a clear penalty though, although I notice that the Korean player getting the bear hug in the first half got nothing. If that Swede had been Nigerian, though....

24. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

That's what I noticed too. A lot of the European teams I have seen have been playing like thugs. The Serbians, the Swedes, the Danes, the Swiss too.

25. monere

monere Guest

it's not that dude. It's that all freaking players (regardless of nation or race) have started focusing on deceiving the referee instead of minding their own damn business. If it's a penalty you whistle it and period! But mind your business and play football instead of letting your feet behind to be dragged, tackled, or whatever. God damn pansies!

Pipiolo repped this.