PBP Thread: Match #11, Germany vs Mexico, 17 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No, but a good one. A handful of other goals were better IMO.

Bluewings21 and Californian81 repped this.
  2. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is especulating a neologism made by a portmanteau of especially and speculating to form especulating? :geek:

I do not think that Sweden would risk a defeat by playing too much for a draw, i.e. set out for a draw from the begining.

Assuming both want to avoid Brazil there can be no collision as when, if a draw would make them both avoid Brasil.

If a draw would make them both avoid Brasil it would be ok as long as it was not obvious i.e. from the begining, with 20 mins to go, with a draw on the cards it would be natural to settle for a point.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Many great goals, hopefully it continues.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. Luis Antonio Soto

Feb 15, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am elated and impressed by my national team. I was expecting them to play with a lot of heart and effort, but I did not expect them to play the kind of high-pace, precise, counter-attacking futbol they ended up displaying. They made Kroos, Hummels and Boateng look like unprepared rookies with stage freight. Herrera was impressive in this sort of all-terrain, box-to-box role that Osorio assigned for him. His skill is worthy of Serie A or La Liga. Gallardo was unfazed by Mueller and Kimmich and seemed to outplay them for most of the game. I think he won all of his aerial challenges, never panicked and defended fierce as a dog. Chicharito was excellent as pivot, although everything else was a struggle, but still, fantastic effort. One thing for the community to ponder: How on earth does Mexico execute a plan like that with such level of perfection (albeit for only 45 minutes) without EVER showing any signs of it during 3 1/2 years of Osorio's tenure? Does anybody remember Mexico showing anything like what we saw yesterday during the past few years?

LGRod and SF19 repped this.
  6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    At this point, with Germany's defeat, and the Brazil draw, teams in group F lost full control on how to avoid facing Brazil for the next stage.

This happens because there is no real certainty at which position will Brazil finish (if 1st or 2nd in their group). With Germany losing to Mexico, there are chances that even Germany finishes 2nd in the group.

The key issue here, is that both groups (E and F), play their respectful last match date matches the same day, but group F plays first their matches, so the only teams that will have certain control over their destiny in whom they are going to face the next stage, will be the teams of group E, as when they play their final match, Group F would be history, knowing with absolute certainty whom came 1st and whom came 2nd. Wouldn't be so unlikely to have both Germany and Brazil finish 2nd in their respectful groups, still avoiding each other for the next stage.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    They've had some moments like beating Uruguay 3-1 at Copa America Centenario. Also beating the US in the US for World Cup qualifying. Problem with Osorio is consistency. They'll play amazing one game, and the next game is full of frustration and lack of ideas. I think ultimately Mexico advances, but it won't be with 9 points. They'll find a way to make things hard on themselves.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There's a chance Germany doesn't even advance out of the group, Sweden and South Korea will complicate things for them.

Rickdog repped this.
  9. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yepp but probably Brazil need to win both matches. Let me explain.
    Against Costa Rica Brazil not going to get just a draw or something, they going for 3 points, and then Brazil have 4 points. If Swiss beat Serbia, we have Brazil 4 points, Swiss 4 points, Serbia 3 points, in that scenario Brazil not going to take any risk and play for a draw, a late goal for Serbia and Brazil is out. If Swiss - Serbia ends a draw, the same scenario again (ofc Swiss need to beat Costa Rica too) and the last scenario if Serbia beat Swiss we have Serbia 6 points Brazil 4 points and Swiss 1 points, if this happen Brazil maybe can try to play for a draw, but again if Serbia then score a late goal its going to be goal difference between Brazil and Swiss, i can Brazil go for a draw if they beat Costa rica with like 5-0 or something like that and Serbia beat Swiss. My point is i think Brazil need to win both matches and they cant control so much if they wanna come first or second because they cant take that risk.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You'r assesment of the whole situation is correct, but the point still remains.
    As teams in group E play their last matches after the teams from group F, only they can control whom they could potentially face for the next round, and teams in group F, can't control anything.

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Who is making the next game threads? They are tomorrow!

12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I’ll make them today.

SixKick repped this.