PBP Thread: Match #11, Germany vs Mexico, 17 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    All my respect for the mexican players. They showed exactely what the Germans didn't: the will to win. They weren't afraid of failing. And you need a lot of courage to do this when you're facing the current World Champions.
    I wasn't disappointed about Germany's quality, since it was the same as they've been showing in the latest matches. But I'm disappointed that they simply didn't changed this as the tournament started - and this is their biggest strength.
    I had the impression they were on the pitch with the feeling "we're the 2014 champions and so we're automatically the 2018 champions". Not because this is new, since this is what France did in 2002, Brazil in 2006, Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014. But this is Germany, and those things aren't valid for germans! They always work differently.
    This time they didn't.
    But it's not worth it to talk about Germany. It was Mexico's day. And they were brilliant. Not in talent or in anything else ... but in fighting.
    Wow. This is how I love to see any team play. This is in the ADN of the fans of my brazilian club: no matter if your opponent is stronger or weaker, even if you win or lose. The most important thing is that you fight. And if you fight till the end, everything else is uninportant. Even the victory.
    And the mexicans fought ... and they won!
    Crazy combination.

Chiquitibum a la bim bom ba,
    Chiquitibum a la bim bom ba,
    A la bio, a la bao, a la bim bom ba,
    Mexico Mexico, Rah rah rah...

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Ehhh, we'll see, If they play Brazil in the Round of 16 it will be an amazing match, I think they'll bounce back, what's key for Mexico is they collect at least 4 in their final 2 games because Germany will thrash their remaining opponents to try to get 6 and win the group via GD. Mexico needs to get 7.

Californian81 repped this.
  3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Wow, that is a fantastic little stat nugget there. Deeply impressive.

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #479 Cannons, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Mexico was super impressive in the first half. With a little luck they could have scored 3 or 4. Second half, Germany seemed to wake up and tried to shut Mexico down early but as we know, it didn't work. Mexico was gassed in the second half but still managed some breaks

Loved to see Germany lose. They're so arrogant they think that all they have to do is just show up and teams will lay down for them. Mexico didnt lay down and actually took it to them. This can only be good for the USA program as it shows our conference isn't as weak as many across the big pond may think. Mexico should advance from the group phase easily. So should Germany.... if they actually play a little harder

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Why does everyone automatically write off Sweden? you guys realize Sweden took out Holland, France and Italy via qualification/playoffs to get to the tournament, right?

Sweden is not a push over..

i actually think Sweden can force a draw with the Germans in their 2nd round match up..

Boloni86 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Did Germany underestimate Mexico?

7. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sweden will lose to Germany, specially now that the Germans have their backs against the wall.

8. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    Hi everyone... I just joined the forum as a germany supporter... I hope germany gets it together to beat Sweden on a Saturday!! Any predictions?

9. MK3owner

MK3owner Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Kissimmee FL.
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Possibly. Like everything in life it was most likely a combination of factors. Germany underestimating Mexico
    Germany's slow defense vs Mexico's fast attacking players.
    Germany slow to adapt.
    Mexico turning up for the important game.
    Mexico's defense holding up.
    Morale.
    Tactical schemes used by the coaches ect...

10. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Big ups to Mexico, massive victory. Great strike by Lozano.

Its next rival is South Korea, and that should be its ticket to R16.

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germanys Record versus Sweden is W15 D8 L13, last three games, 0-0 (2010, friendly), 4-4 ( WC qualifing, 2012, Sweden at Home) and 3-5 (Germany win away, WC qualifing, 2013). Added to this that Sweden have have been a good side for a long time and you have a very tricky opponent next game. Sure, Germany could bounce back and get a big win but I for one see a close game, that could quite possibily end in a draw and put Germany in a position of 1 point after 2 games, staring at group stage defeat for th first time in how long, 1938! (defeated in the second group stage in 1978).

12. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    Jesus those stats scare me... I hope we end up winning for the sake of the fans. I’m fine with one loss and growing through the tournmanent... just sad to see us lose after waiting 4 yrs for this moment

13. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Sweden and South Korea coaching staff are probably scratching their heads right now. Part of their entire game plan was to pick up points vs Mexico in order to secure 2nd place. Now they’re competing vs the wrong 2 teams.

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not often do you get the chance to scare Germany :), last time you played Sweden in the WC (2006) you won 2-0 in the last 16. Germany last loss in the Group stage was 1-0 against Serbia in 2010, you beat Austrália 4-0 and Ghana 1-0 to qualify (beaten by Spain 1-0 in the SF). Waiting four years as champions, finding it difficult to really feel sorry for you ;)

15. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    Ha ha right! I’m just not used to losing and it will be hard to sleep for the next 5 days knowing we have a must win game... I think it will be 2-0 win for Germany against Sweden... I don’t see them playing as difficult as Mexico. I think we can hold our own here without any issues (hopefully). I’m hoping for a draw between Sweden vs Korea tomorrow to keep the points low

El Pipiripau and JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. Lemmiwinkz

Lemmiwinkz New Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I'm probably in the minority when saying this, but I felt the first 35~40 minutes were amazing, while the rest of the game was filled with tired legs and sloppy play.

Californian81 repped this.
  17. DelChiverio

DelChiverio Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Nevada
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

18. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yea big ups to Mexico!
    The crowd was amazing and i really liked that stadium too.

I think this can happen too, if Sweden get 3 points from S Korea and Germany beat both Sweden and S Korea.
    If Sweden then beat Mexico we have 3 teams with 6 points.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes he has.

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Best goal of the tournament by Lozano?

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  21. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kolarov's free kick and the 4th Russian goal were better IMO.

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Those are fair too. A lor of golazos so far, great group stage on par with WC 14 up to now.

23. Red Dead

Red Dead New Member

Manchester United
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 12, 2018
    Mexico are looking good. can see them in the quarter finals

24. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    Although I am from Argentina and they eliminated us three times in a row I have been following Germany since 2006 because that was the first World Cup that I watched as a kid and since then I have always admired them and wanted them to win except when playing against Argentina of course.

I can say without a doubt that this has been the worst match of Germany in a World Cup since I've watched them in 2006.
    Although Mexico played probably one of their best games this team didn't look anything like classic Germany, poor defense, bad passing and no ideas in offense. At times I doubted they were really Germany. It was shocking.

25. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    Well ... now especulating (I love it!) on a scenario that now seems quite possible!

A "non-aggression pact" in the last match between Sweden and Mexico so that both qualify with a specific result would be less probable if both see the possibility of finishing 1st of the group and so avoiding Brazil in the next round.
    But given yesterday's results, it is quite possible that Brazil finishes second in group E!
    And if this is the case, when Sweden and Mexico get to the pitch they would already know that the first of their group F will get Brazil and the second Serbia or Switzerland.
    At that point, with 6 points Mexico could already be qualified, and with a draw being 1st of the group and Sweden 2nd. With a Sweden win, Sweden gets 1st with 7 points, Mexico 2nd.
    Sweden would probably not be willing to lose, being eliminated by Germany on goal difference. But a draw would give them Switzerland/Serbia. A win gives them Brazil (which they pretty much respect).
    Do you believe any of them would consider "choosing the next opponent"?
    Do you consider it ok?