PBP Thread: Match #1, Russia vs Saudi Arabia, 14 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Val1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Egypt might have the benefit of playing Saudi Arabia last. That means that they might know what goal difference puts them through.

SF19 and Car123 repped this.
  2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Russia v Saudi Arabia 5:0 (2:0)

Good score and some nice goals by the Russians. Saudi Arabia are rubbish when pressed and totally out of their league defensively. Couldn't be happier seeing them whipped, even if I will have to tolerate the inevitable comments about the level of football in the AFC.

Lets talk about the level of the AFC tomorrow after Iran play. For now, a good start to the World Cup for me.

Kamtedrejt and zahzah repped this.
  3. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :ROFLMAO:

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last two goals were all on the keeper, no sense of positioning nor reflexes.

SF19 and monere repped this.
  5. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Their reactions (other than Russia's unexpectedly lethal display) were the highlight of the match for me. Infantino and Putin looking downright apologetic for the beating they've set up for SA.

Saudi is dreadful at the WC though, for a team that's been here five times. Since a remarkable showing in 1994 they've just gotten romped on. Despite their qualification record they're almost certainly the worst side in Asia (and definitely by WC records, they are)... I think Australia and Korea will manage to be more competitive in much tougher groups.

monere repped this.
  6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Egypt will not do that well against Saudi Arabia. I am sure.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Actually, on the international level, Saudi Arabia are rubbish because their weaknesses are easy to exploit when they face teams that are physically stronger than them -- and know to press them vigorously. Teams like Iraq or Syria would do much better than the Saudis against a side like Russia.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Possibly, but if you head into the last match knowing, for example, that a 3:0 win puts you through against a demoralised team: would you really bet against them?

9. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Yea Saudis are weak...but we will see if Uruguay and Egypt score 5 against them..

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The kind of football Egypt play, and Saudi Arabia play, doesn't suggest a high score line between them. And, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their game ended in a draw.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Saudi Arabia showed today their true value. It's just not enough for this level. Unfortunately for them they couldn't even perform to their usual level. They were horrendous and even bad for their standards. They will try to do some damage controll now against Uruguay.

Iranian Monitor, KiarashM and monere repped this.
  12. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Russia will be in perfect position to play counter attacks against Egypt and Uruguay now.

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know this won't stop anyone debating it, but I really think the question of confederation level is pointless and isn't in the spirit of the World Cup. It's a WORLD cup, all regions will inevitably be there.

14. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I kinda wish the entire Arabia peninsula goes to CAF. I dont want them to further bring our federation down. Plus its a pain in the butt for our players to travel that far. Their weather is similar to nations in northern africa and much closer than the likes of Australia and Japan. Most importantly they will be more inclined to sign African players and not our players turning them into crap. I am not just talking about Saudi (the entire Arabia peninsula). Qatar, Saudi, and UAE has been plaguing our players for years now

glennaldo_sf and Zandi360 repped this.
  15. Stric_Matic

Stric_Matic Member

Slovenia
    Jan 26, 2010
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I'm pretty sure that in the case of three teams being tied for points, the only thing that matters is the goal difference, and then the number of goals scored, in the matches between them.

Wouldn't matter whether Egypt/Uruguay beat KSA 1:0 or 10:0 if they were tied for points with Russia in the end.

16. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    They might be out by then...

17. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This result might light a fire under the rest of the Asian teams. I expect a couple of surprise results from them now. Stay tuned ...

18. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Question of opinion i would rather have the real top 32 than a mickey mouse tournament.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everyone talks about how playing counterattacks is like a sure recipe for winning. Football has changed the last dozen years, possession more often than not wins the match.

20. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    Solomon Islands will cause a few shocks.

Tom Collingsworth and monere repped this.
  21. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Wrong...general difference comes first...

Stric_Matic repped this.
  22. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    It was Saudi Arabians being usual Saudi Arabians. 2002 is happening all over again.

monere repped this.
  23. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Yea when you have the quality of spain germany etc...egypt and uruguay don't have this quality in build up play.
    So Russia will have the edge by playing a way that uruguay and egypt like to play too.

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure. Uruguay 6 pts and Russia 6 pts is a very likely scenario. As is Uruguay 6 pts, Russia 4 pts with a massive GD and Egypt 1 pt.

Normally blowouts like this happen once every World Cup. You rarely, if ever, see one team get 2 such comprehensive thrashings of one team at one tournament.

25. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    That stupid yellow card that Golovin got at the end might come back to haunt Russia.

26. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    Nah, keep that.

zahzah repped this.