PBP Thread: Match #1, Russia vs Saudi Arabia, 14 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Val1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    Didn't USA lost the match against Trinidad B team? What is the Fifa ranking of Trinidid B? American football sucks.

saam14 repped this.
  2. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I have no idea how Saudi Arabia keeps qualifying out of Asia, when they play so badly. They should be lucky that China doesn't have a mature soccer program, or that New Zealand doesn't join AFC...

I'm already seeing it: Juan Antonio Pizzi doesn't get to the third game...

Paul Calixte and kennytt repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, and France pretty recently almost lost to them.....:whistling:

Gacm32, Froboy69 and kennytt repped this.
  4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Would have been interesting to see what might have happened to allocations if the Cup hadn't been increased to 48 in '26. I don't expect much from my Concacaf sides, nor AFC, if results go as I suspect they will, only Mexico will advance, and even this is in doubt w/the current generation a bit old and soft in the belly. Panama is going to get obliterated, they don't perform well away from Central America (and oddly, the US in Gold Cups), Costa Rica is older, not better than they were in '14 (though they could surprise an over-confident squad), and then the AFC? I don't see it. S. Korea seems to have just faded over time since '02, Japan seems to have hit a ceiling. I don't know what to expect from Iran, maybe they'll surprise. I expect nothing of note from Australia, though I do think they did a nice job in handling the adverse conditions in Honduras in the playoff. Brutal field conditions, horrific officiating, and the intensity of the crowds there usually makes it a bit difficult to get a result.

I just think this is going to be an awful tournament for the AFC and Concacaf in particular, not sure what to expect from CAF considering so many of their better sides didn't make it.

This tournament strikes me as all UEFA, and a bit of CONMEBOL. My surprise team, if there is one, would be Senegal.

Hope Concacaf and AFC prove me wrong, I just tend to doubt they will, especially the AFC (if nothing else, I know Costa Rica and Mexico can manufacture goals, not so sure about AFC squads).

monere repped this.
  5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, 61% !!

Can't recollect any other WC game where a team had 61% possession, 0 shots on target and lost 5-0.

ShortyMac and kennytt repped this.
  6. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    almost lost to young, inexperienced team...and France is one of the favorites...

Gacm32 repped this.
  7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Well, it is, the key word is the one in bold, italics, and underlined. Some teams won't be nearly as good as others as theirs obviously a drastic difference in quality between some regions and others, but if you want to have a World Cup, you still need to invite teams from the entire world, and not just the most competitive parts of it. My one complaint remains the reliance on the horrific FIFA rankings, although it appears they're ready to change their methodology, finally, after a handful of countries figured out how to game their idiotic system for #1 seeds in back to back World Cups (just one look at CAF and you see how brutal an impact inept rankings can have: CAF had one qualification group featuring 3 World Cup qualifiers from 2014 (including two teams that made the knockouts), and a Cup of Nations Champion from 2012 that's been competitive of late in Zambia).

Phillyspur repped this.
  8. Willy4TLS

Willy4TLS New Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Nearly a perfect performance by Russia, provide pace and a clinical finish, but it was against a very very weak team.
    Russia raised their game for the occasion the same team who had not won their last 7 matches before today game, and now they are favorite to get past the group.
    Saudi Arabia as always the obvious country that don't belong here and this happens repeatedly, pretty awful in defending, no quality, lacking the physical attributes and they did not have even a decent mentality.
    I know Asia is weak, but its strange when all other teams from Asia at least shows some discipline and organization while the Saudis have none. Is there a big gap, or what?

kennytt and monere repped this.
  9. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well done to Russia, seriously I expected a win but more along the lines of a 2-0 or 3-0 tops.

But 5-0 is really something! Happy for the host nation to have won without some questionable calls occuring...

Kamtedrejt and Rickdog repped this.
  10. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! That performance by Russia was something! looks like Saudi Arabia will beheading home, everyone must of been blown away after that score

kennytt repped this.
  11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Ehhh, we had the talent to qualify, and failing to do so was an inexcusable abomination of epic proportions, but the problem was the developmental gap bshredder reported about, where essentially the 1990-1994 generation contributed virtually nothing of quality to the roster, it's just a lost generation, 1990-1994, and that would have been the players in their prime. The good news is that the 1995-2002 era looks like it might be our best ever in terms of depth of quality, and elite level prospects.

We're not here, and it's an embarrassment, especially considering what you'll see from Panama instead over the next few weeks, but we'll be back soon enough, and maybe better than any USMNT since 2009, and possibly even '02.

Gacm32 and kennytt repped this.
  12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This is one intriguing stat: 22 fouls for Russia.

13. NotMorningYet

NotMorningYet New Member

FC Krasnodar
    Russia
    Jun 14, 2018
    Awfull Russia's results during last years cheat Saudis. They were thinking: "Aha, we have chance in such weak group. Ok. Uruguay will be the 1st, and we must beat Russia. How? We'll take a ball, and over the posession will build attacks on weak Russia's defenders". Smth went wrong.

monere repped this.
  14. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait till the urine samples from Russia are done.

Really, it’s Russia, at home. Remember Sochi?

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Some of the goals were really nice, but the defending and goalkeeping on most of them... just wow!

monere repped this.
  16. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I expected Russia to win but more like 1-0 or 2-1, tbh. This was kinda shocking. Well done, Russia!

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, have to say, congrats to Russia. Couldn't ask for a better opening. Did their job. Still a very limited team.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  18. RaminS

RaminS Member

Dec 5, 2016
    LOL 8-0ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Germany-Brazil :)

Bran and Rickdog repped this.
  20. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bruce Arena.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just a couple of points
    1. Its the first time they've qualified since 2006
    2. They finished above us in the qualifiers

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both is an acceptable answer. Bruce was too set on MLS guys, Klinsmann refused to play guys in their natural positions and didn't know how to play CONCACAF teams.

kennytt, Kamtedrejt and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  23. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    MLS old guys.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I followed the Asian qualifiers and the Saudis looked a lot better then. Bauza had the right idea, focusing on a more coordinated defense even if conceding the ball more. Pizzi is more a possession-oriented guy, but he needs strikers who can finish. The Saudis lack seriously there, they had 59% possession and not a single shot on goal.

Also, even in qualifiers they had trouble with big, physical teams: the only team they couldn't beat (loss away, tied at home) was Australia, another big physical team.

I can see them creating some more trouble for Uruguay & Egypt, but losing the opener this way is probably taps for them. Morale must be very low at this point.

PS: Why didn't they keep van Marwijk? I never heard a coherent explanation.

kennytt repped this.
  25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the match... what a blowout - Moscow is going crazy tonight, but have to wake up in 3 hours to catch my flight to Kaliningrad. Anywhere, here's some footage of what I got so far:

Opening ceremony:

1st Goal:

Golovin's Freekick:

kennytt, Pipiolo, Kamtedrejt and 3 others repped this.