PBP Thread: Match #1, Russia vs Saudi Arabia, 14 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Val1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is going to be a snoozefest of a game. I've already predicted that Russia will NOT qualify for the Round of 16 so I will be watching and hoping that my prediction comes true. So Go Green Falcons!!!

11:00am Eastern Time -- Fox

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Hi everyone,

First of all, welcome to the new posters joining us! You might have recently created an account just to get in on the World Cup excitement, or you may have already been lurking around BigSoccer and decided to finally get involved in all the banter. Either way, welcome!

A general bit of advice for you, as well as a reminder for our longtime posters: we're all here for the football. With that in mind, we here are taking a zero-tolerance policy towards expressions of racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, ad hominem attacks, insults (towards a group of people, countries, or fellow posters) and trolling. Infractions will get you booked - and if you ask where was your warning, this is it. If you see a fellow poster insulting you or a part of your identity (race, sex, nationality, etc.)? Don't respond in kind - REPORT IT. It is the fastest way for us mods to handle the offending posts.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy!

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  3. coll23

coll23 New Member

América
    Mexico
    Jun 14, 2018
    I think Saudi Arabia can definitely cause some shock

4. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    I know Russia is weak right now, and their biggest star is their coach, but I just cannot see them lose at home... Who is refereeing this anyway?

I expect 2:1 Russia win.

5. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think it will be boring, it's the first match of the World Cup!! Both teams will raise their level to the occasion.

7. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Or at least will give us fun, sloppy football.

8. redbulls1002

redbulls1002 Member

May 13, 2006
    The referee is Nestor Pitana of Argentina for this game with Massimilano Irrati of Italy being the VAR ref, I have Russia winning 1-0 in a dull affair.

SF19 repped this.
  9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in Moscow now getting ready to attend the match... loads of Saudi supporters wandering around the city... actually wondering if they could outnumber the home supporters at the match lol... pretty much all Russians I talk to are really down about their teams chances... saying they will lose all of their matches, talking about how crap they are. The general consensus here is that Russia have no chance whatsoever. However, I still think they can progress considering this group. Anyway, good luck both teams today!

SF19 repped this.
  10. Belgrano01

Belgrano01 New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Somehow don`t know what to expect of this one. Russia was shockingly bad at the WC2014, they were even worse at the EC2016 and they are even worse now :confused:
    From the other side, I think the Saudis are heavily underrated - IMO they are not that bad as everyone is talking about. Still one of the best teams in Asia and why shouldn`t they have a chance against the poorest Russia ever?
    For the whole atmosphere of the WC and for the confidence of the Russian supporters I still hope that Russia will win somehow.
    My prediction : a lucky 1:0 for Russia (somehow).
    And then going to the airport and flying out to Samara this evening, excited!:)

monere repped this.
  11. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    I'm not happy with the leaked Saudi lineup. Having Sahlawi on is like playing with a handicap. Zhirkov would be pleased he doesn't have to chase Fahad around.
    I hope it's a false rumour.

Mayouf
    Buraik, Omar, Osama, Shahrani
    Faraj, Otayf
    Yahya, Taysir, Salem
    Sahlawi

SF19 repped this.
  12. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think this will be a great game. Watch with an open mind.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This will likely be the least awaited World Cup opener in history.

14. bong

bong New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    saudi win 6-0 with 6 penalty rebounds it must be true

15. Belgrano01

Belgrano01 New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Isn`t Sahlawi the best scorer you have?

16. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope that Russia will win their first game. This is the easiest opponent.

17. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nope. 8 of his goals were against the mighty East Timor. He was peripheral in the final round of qualifiers. The main attacking threat came from Fahad al-Muwallad, Yahya al-Shehri and Nawwaf al-Abed (who misses the tournament due to injury).

SF19 repped this.
  18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    First Time I can remember I wont be watching the opening game. It kicks off at 1AM my time and I don't think its worth losing sleep over when I need to get up at 5:30AM to go to work. Good luck to both teams. Guess I'll have to watch a replay tomorrow night if it ends up worth watching.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^^^^^^ I'm pretty sure you won't be watching a replay of this one.

I've already taken off today and tomorrow, so I'm locked in. I'm not expecting much today, just getting the jitters out.

20. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Hmmm... I see
    Russia 3 - Saudi Arabia 0
    and a vodka fueled party in the stands
    :)

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I read this post in this voice in my head:

SF19 repped this.
  22. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    It was a predictable move.

I think Pizzi wants to attack with Muwallad when the opposition is tired. Even Van Marwik used him as super sub. He's gonna be super dangerous with his energy with the russian players all tired up.

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    This should be a fairly open affair. There's no historical rivalry and animosity between the teams. Both sides will be looking for a win in order to ensure any chance of progressing given that Uruguay and Egypt are the group favorites. A draw would do either side little good. That said, a loss to either team would be devastating and would all but ensure an early exit. Good luck to both teams and may the best team win.

kennytt and monere repped this.
  24. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    I know, and we're repeating our mistakes. Vs UAE it was 0-0 and not looking like scoring until he come on. Then it finished 3-0. Similar story vs Japan.
    We can't afford to give the opposition 60 minutes of not playing.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am just here to see the VAR meltdown.

:D;)

zahzah repped this.