PBP Thread: Germany vs South Korea, 27 June 2018

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Salmos, Jun 25, 2018.

1. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    You were also over confident before the game against Portugal. I read your posts.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    chook90, Rattlehead, DHMGKorea and 2 others repped this.
  3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  4. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    @Mani is trying to troll me via private message. [emoji23]

5. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You were/are trying to derail this thread by quoting me here and claiming I was “ overconfident” about a match your team was literally 2 inches away from losing, and I simply took the discussion to private messages because this is not the right thread to discuss that match.

6. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Mexicans celebrating at the South Korean embassy and carrying the ambassador on their shoulders. Can't make this up! Beautiful!

chook90, Pipiolo, edcalvi and 4 others repped this.
  7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany will be alright Simply they need a new manager with new ideas We will be back!

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, the Governator was Austrian, not German.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  9. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Derail this thread. You are accusing people of saying crap when you have done the same thing.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Loew should have put Gotze's in and tell him "show the world you're better than Son Heung Min"

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Sad to see Germany go home early. Not the first team I was cheering for this World Cup, but is one of the teams I really like. I've always loved the German National team, and many of their players are really nice people.

If you want my honest opinion, I blame Jochiam Low. His tactics clearly did not work this time. I also feel that he did not field the best squad. Timo Werner is an overrated player, and shouldn't be starting. Draxler and Muller were not used properly. Howedes should have started over Hector. The 4-2-3-1 formation should have been ditched. Hopefully Low will resign, and they will get a new coach with different ideas.

Really, Germany is still producing a number of talented players, but they are not the same types of players that Low is used to, and therefore we need new ideas and a new way of playing that suits the new players.

I really love: Draxler, Rudiger, Howedes, Goretzka (also not used properly today), and Sane (should have made the squad).

Buy Germany, better luck in 2022:

I will cheer for Croatia, and Belgium the rest of the way.

12. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Big Respect to South Korea in beating the defending Champs Germany. This is a big deal in so many ways. South Korea proved that they can go neck to neck with a top squad.

As much as I would have been thrilled if Mexico won over Sweden for South Korea to have advanced as well, I'm really proud of South Korea for proving that they can play with the best, and even beat them.

The biggest criticism for South Korea coming into these games was the lack of defense. Oh boy where we wrong. Not only did Korea play great on the back end, but they did so against the world champions.

Korea's keeper (Jo Hyeonwoo) played fantastic, denying all Germany's attempts... World class performance so big kudos to him.

Korea was also missing the back bone of the mid field (Ki Sungyueng) + the 6 foot 6 Korean giant (Kim Shinwook), yet still managed to make it happen.

It's just a bummer how Korea got unlucky with the pk's early on in the games against Sweden and Mexico.

+ The pk's that Korea didn't get awarded to them...

I really feel that Sweden and Korea deserve it the most to advance. It's not to take credit away from Mexico, but dang... The two underdogs really made a statement, with one of them (Sweden) advancing. Congrats to the swedes.

Just so unlucky for Korea... They did everything right, but unfortunately the fate was determined by something out of their control with the Sweden / Mexico game... Bummer...

Knocking out Germany is a big deal in itself, regardless of how the group results panned out.

South Korea has every right to be proud. They won fair and square and beat the defending Champs by 2 goals even with the Koreans missing two key players. Which technically means that South Korea is more than capable of winning a World Cup. More than capable if they continue to play like this...

Big Respect South Korea. :D

bigsoccertst1, Pipiolo and kennytt repped this.
  13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    South Korea came into the game undaunted and were very aggressive, particularly number 17. They had a good spell of football that almost landed HM Son a chance off of what was a spectacular volley (that chance flew about a foot too wide of the net) in the first half. Once Sweden took a commanding lead, it became apparent to Germany that they needed a goal to draw level on 6 points and I think the pressure got to the Germans. There nerves were rattled. Korea were under less pressure to win and looked quite comfortable on the pitch against Germany as the game progressed. They weren't placed under pressure like Sweden had been in the previous game when Germany managed to draw level. Germany couldn't pin the Koreans back and were in too much danger of conceding on the counter. With HM Song lurking around, I think Germany understood that this time round they couldn't get away with it like they did against Sweden, when Berg was clearly tired and essentially out of it by the 60th minute.

14. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    #214 iunlock, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    To be fair, South Korea was equally nerved in a different way, but with the same intensity as Germany in having to win as this was SK's last shot. I think to say that SK had it easier in anyway would be inaccurate. In fact, SK had it even harder, for reasons of their own...A big one being that Germany are the defending champions and ranked #1 to start....

1. South Korea came out of two unlucky games to redeem themselves, which in itself is commendable to get out of that hole. It was do or die for SK and they played their hearts out to achieve a victory (against ALL ODDS), but just got unlucky with Sweden winning over Mexico.

2. Germany had pride on the line...It was also do or die for Germany to advance, but South Korea beat them fair and square. No excuses. - In fact, Germany even had an edge when Sweden scored on Mexico, yet they failed to capitalize due to the superb Korean defense.

The thing is SK did everything that they were suppose to and they did. SK would have advanced if the fate wasn't in the hands of Mexico.

The bigger message here is that we've witnessed SK beat the defending world champions by 2 goals. This realistically means that SK proved that they are more than capable of winning the WC someday...

It also silences the nay sayers and proves that SK is not to be taken lightly.

Group F was the craziest group of them all... just unbelievable. Congrats to Sweden no doubt. It would have been nice for both SK and the Swedes to advance in this group. With everything aside and from purely a "playing their hearts out," stand point, those two deserve it the most. Unfortunately, that's not how it goes...

South Korea has earned the respect from many non SK fans World Wide and it shows...

12th Warrior and kennytt repped this.
  15. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm watching the replay right now, as I was glue my eyes to the Sweden game earlier (Swenden's fan).

All I have to say is I just couldn't believe my eyes that Germany lost like this and out of the group stage (which I thought it worst actually, because that cut off your lifeline, it prevent your chance of going forward in the tournament).

That Son surname Korean player score the second goal, whoa, he ran super fast (and he a tiny Asian guy), he pretty much ran like half the field to chase after that ball.

South Korea always been an underdog, and came today knowing they at last of their group, they could have just gave up and let Germany win. HUGE pressure when you have to face a powerhouse like Germany. But they fought, I give them credit for their not give up attitude despite how hard the opponent are.

Everywhere on news all said if South Korea DARE to dream, win against Germany. And I guess they dare to dream, because they won.

And that yellow color clothes Korean's goal keeper, WOW! He was really good, he was like a spider, lol.

I'm still shock that Germany crash out of the group stage. This is the most UNPREDICTABLE WCup ever.

bigsoccertst1, Pipiolo and kennytt repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That sounds like another country I am quite familiar with. Although we very much under-performed in qualifying and did not even make the big dance.

In both cases everyone blames the manager when the problems are really higher up and lower down.

In the case of Germany: With the players on the field and the system that was played Germany "should" have pretty easily defeated South Korea. The effort just was not there. It looked like the German players expected the South Koreans to lie down and play dead at any time.

In the case of the US: The players that were placed on the field and the system they were playing in "should" have easily defeated T&T but the players played like they expected T*T to lie down and play dead at any time.

The level of the games were different but the importance to the teams was the same and everyone blames the coaches (managers) while the truth is it main blame goes to the players on the field that vastly under performed and their most important moment this WC cycle.

The result is that the US is in the process of pretty much firing everybody from the coach up and the new crew, although incomplete, seems to be effectively firing most of the players that participated in the WC qualifying debacle. If that will be good or bad we just have to wait and see.

Germany is not far enough away from their failure to be sure what their moves will be but it sounds like they need a similar house cleaning.

One thing: If Germany fires their manager (coach) I am quite sure, if he wants, the US could do a LOT worse than hiring him.

17. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw this comment from a poster in the Google WCup site, and I agreed with him.

Quote from him: [ I love Germany team but they should not qualify ahead of group stage. See the corners they have taken, in one of the corner, one of the German player was walking from corner side towards the ground, he was not even looking at the ball when corner was hit. In one more most of the Germany players are standing outside penalty area. Many places you see German players are just walking with no desperation to win.

You don't need a coach to tell players that they should see towards ball when the game is on. ]

Sadly, but I agreed.

kennytt repped this.
  18. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And can someone explain to me why that second goal, the goal where Son H. the Korean player ran across half the field and kick the ball straight in because there was no Germany's goal keeper, the net was WIDE OPEN (Neuer was all the way on the other side).
    Why is that second Korea's goal was first about to counted as offside? The VAR have to jump in and view it. Son H. was onside to me, it looks onside to me.

19. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Jogi Löw and his team have signed till 2022. I feel pretty sure that the DFB will treat him with the utmost respect, and so he deserves.

Coaching Brazil and Germany must be the toughest tasks in international football. And “der Bundestrainer” has been 12 years on the job. It would not surprise me, if he feels some fatigue and take a break from football. That would mean a vacancy for The Germany job.
    If so, he will later on be able to pursue his career as a club coach. He will be linked to only the greatest of clubs.

20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Lol Son is a tiny Asian guy yet he's 183 cm and 78 kg.
    Racial bias/perception.

21. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Son is better than Gotze.

sac517, 10August2012 and Pipiolo repped this.
  22. kennypowers

kennypowers Member

Nov 3, 2010
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who really takes the FIFA rankings seriously anyway?

Im pretty sure Germany’s level of desperation to win was fairly high. I mean, pretty much a must win match to advance at the World Cup, can there be any more desperation than that? I would also disagree that Korea were gifted the win. Defending 99 minutes, without conceding against the defending champs, deserves credit.

I guess Iran were also gifted 3 pts against Morocco as it took a 95th minute own goal by Morocco to win.

As AFC rivals, I respect Iran and actually think they may currently be the best in Asia. Queiroz has done a great job, especially with the defensive organization. But today, give credit where credit is due to South Korea

23. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #223 Buffonfan, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Lol, I'm Chinese (Shanghai), I'm Asian myself.

And I'm sorry, I don't look up Son H. height or weight, so how do I suppose to know how tall he is? I'm not like you, who look up his height on Google. I said he tiny (maybe because he skinny too) is based on what I saw when he ran chase after that ball, he does look tiny compared to that Germany #15 player who running after him. And I was praising how damn fast he can run.

And just in case you didn't know, if you read my two comments above, #215, #217, I'm actually praising S. Korea.

24. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Lol Chinese yet support Italy. Internalized racism I guess.
    Also I don't have to look up his height on google, when I already have a general sense how tall he is (around 6 ft). True for many Korean players actually. Weight is a different matter though.
    And lol you praised him for how fast he ran is like saying you praise Tom Brady for how well he throws football, or how fast Usain Bolt runs. Yeah Sonny isn't in the same calibre as these athletes but one thing for sure, if you watch football, Sonny is known to be a fast and explosive player and he isn't known to be "tiny". He's also very atheletic and can score some really amazing screamers. Just to let you know Sonny is considered to be the best Asian footballer currently and is a key player for Tottenham. He's one of the best winger in the Premier League.
    Maybe you aren't familiar with this sport?

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This ref should be suspended and investigated. VAR and added time are now used instead of yellow/red cards to favor the usual suspects.

wetcrispy and iunlock repped this.